Door Edge guards for 64 LCC

Paint, sheet metal, hood ornaments, trim, vinyl tops, emblems, seats, carpet, dashboards, etc. Paint cleaning and detailing messages should be posted in the Cleaning and Detailing sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

jkh290
Occasional Visitor

Door Edge guards for 64 LCC

Post by jkh290 »

I"m in need to replace both door edge guards on the right side. The original were stainless steel and would like to find an original set.
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Door Edge guards for 64 LCC

Post by papawayne »

I'm pretty sure they were aftermarket, so generic cut your own plastic chromey ones would be just fine. Wayne
JAB
Lincoln Guru

Post by JAB »

The edge guards were made by Ford, and available from the dealerships.
I have them in stock. Just give me a call.
John Brewer
303 562-8368
John Brewer
Brewer Classic Lincoln
303 562-8368
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Leave it to John to know the truth! Thanks John, for your never ending stream of knowledge! Wayne
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

I'll have to pay more attention. I don't think I've ever seen a 64 without them.
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

I suspect that at time of sale, the edge guards were an easy sell. My 63 didn't have them when I got it, but I put them on almost immediately. I used the cut your own off the roll plastic chromey kind, and I'll get my second set this spring when I get the car out. Just for shoots and grins, though, I've got an o1 Mercury sable wagon with nearly 200000 miles that I beat the crap out of. I'm pretty sure that even this piece of junk doesn't have many chips on the dooor edges. This is mostly because most of us don't have the habit of slamming our doors into other cars. Wayne
epbendel1
Frequent Contributor

Post by epbendel1 »

The door edge guards were a $6 dealer option when our cars were new. Many did not purchase them at the time because they felt the guards interrupted the body line.
George W
Lincoln Maniac

Post by George W »

The edge guards do tend to interrupt the clean, uncluttered look of the body sides. Besides, they only protect the door from being chipped if you bang your door into something. If there is a clip in the door edge a spot of touch up paint is far less noticeable than the edge guards.
1965 Sedan, white w/ black vinyl top and red leather. 28k miles
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

I found a NOS 4pc set back when I got my '63 in 2009 and installed them. My Lincoln is Ermine white, so it didn't seem to break up the body lines, but I could see a w/ a darker color, that might be the case. IMO I think they look good on any color slabside. The more brightwork the better.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I agree with Suicidekid, I like the door edge guards. To me, they don't really interrupt anything, unlike those longitudinal stick-on rubber strips that some had put on their cars over the decades (granted, those help a bit in preventing dents and chips from careless parking-lot types, but they do sully the clean flanks). I liked that my grand's Man-Of-War was fitted with the edge guards, so I snagged a set off an organ donor for Frankenstein. Although not a top priority, it would be cool to come across a factory-spec edge guard for the fuel hatch.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

I agree. I also don't see the edge guards interrupting anything. They fit nicely with the look and other strips of chrome they have.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

TonyC wrote:Although not a top priority, it would be cool to come across a factory-spec edge guard for the fuel hatch.

---Tony
Lincoln Land has or HAD one of these not long ago NOS. From what I recall, it wasn't very expensive. Maybe $35? I was thinking of snatching it up, but I think someone else got it.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham

Return to “Body, Trim, & Interiors”