Trim Removal

Paint, sheet metal, hood ornaments, trim, vinyl tops, emblems, seats, carpet, dashboards, etc. Paint cleaning and detailing messages should be posted in the Cleaning and Detailing sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Trim Removal

Post by Steve K »

So, in preparation for paint on the my 64 I have been thinking about what to do about the body trim. It seems like everything is very straight forward as far as removing it goes except for the peak moldings. How difficult is it to remove those without damaging them? Should I trust that job to a good body man who will do the paint work or do it myself in advance. Mine are in exceptional shape and I don't want them to get bent up taking them off the car.

Also, I assume that I have to get behind the headliner to get the sail panel trim off. Has anyone had luck with just easing up the edges of the headliner enough to get at the nuts on the trim and star?

Should I remove the windshield and rear window trim or have them mask that off? I have heard it's hard to get that off without damaging something - or maybe that it's almost impossible to get it back on without damaging the new paint.

Any tips from someone who has done this?

Thanks

Going with the Regal Turquoise......
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
Suicide65
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Trim Removal

Post by Suicide65 »

Use 2 putty knives for the peak molding. Be sure to get all all the screws before prying off the molding. There are 2 nuts in the trunk, one that holds the small corner trim and one at the end of the long rear piece. The front peak molding is the hardest, there is a nut way up under tthe wheel well, about at the point where the trim curves down.

The c pillar emblems can be removed by taking off the interior trim from around the rear window and carefully lifting the headliner in each side, there are tacks that hold it taut, almost like large carpet tacks.
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

If you have a shop manual (which you should if you own a 60's Lincoln and you want to maintain it yourself) it will show the location of the clips and nuts that hold the peak moulding, trim and scripts in place. I suggest you remove all of the trim yourself so that you don't give the auto body shop the chance to damage it. Besides, it should save you some money if you remove and replace all the trim. This is how I did it when I had my car repainted and I saved a fair amount of money doing it this way. Unfortunately, I did not remove the newly re-chromed rear bumper and it got damaged by the DA sander, as did one of the vent windows. So, the lesson that I learned is to remove anything and everything that can be removed so that it does not get damaged.
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

Here's a good thread about peak molding removal:

http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... k+moulding

Good choice of color! :grin: :smt006
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

Thanks guys. I did realize and look at the past posts on this topic. The painter has offered to deal with the trim as part of the price for the entire job so what I was trying to do is get a feeling for whether to let him do it or do it myself. Even though he does classic and old cars and assures he he knows what he's doing I am just paranoid about those parts. I've heard horror stories about parts that get lost and damaged.
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I can understand that. When I was painting Frankenstein's top in April, I wanted to try and remove the C-pillar trim. But when I realized that the nuts holding the trim in place were out of sight and not accessible without taking apart the whole rear compartment, I decided against it. The seat back was in the way of a lot of the trim panels, which meant that it had to come out; but to get it out I have to take out the seat bottom. And I've dealt with rear seat backs enough times to know that I didn't want to go through that again if I didn't necessarily have to. I just used masking tape and paint thinner to keep the chrome from getting sprayed.

I don't know how similar it may be on your '64, but I'm thinking it may be similar enough to require the removal of the whole rear.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
neilpierson
Occasional Visitor

Post by neilpierson »

I just replaced the Lincoln star on the outside sail panel of our 1963 sedan. Not a bad job. A few extra tidbits: (1) The mounting panel for the headliner on the sail panel had deteriorated but was good enough to use as is. (2) The self-cutting screw on the stud of the star was 3/8". I think it was original. (3) Have some strip caulk handy. You want to seal the holes for the studs to avoid moisture penetration.
Neil Pierson
1963 Lincoln Sedan
1956 Continental Mark II
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Use electrical tape on your putty knives...Wayne
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Holy old thread Batman!
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
elcad70
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by elcad70 »

Its great to see the wealth of information contained in this forum is being explored.
1970 Mark III Lincoln

Return to “Body, Trim, & Interiors”