Project Rita Hayworth - 1965 Lincoln Continental Convertible

This forum is for those members who wish to post continuously updated threads on their Lincoln that is being customized beyond stock. Members who are restoring their cars to original, should use the regular Members' Projects forum.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

stevedrums
Frequent Contributor

Re: Project Rita Hayworth - 1965 Lincoln Continental Convert

Post by stevedrums »

bd94s10 wrote:they are not able to just "rent" the car and take off lol.
smart. i would never let someone i didn't know drive any of my vehicles
1961 Sedan
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Agreed. I was like NO F'n way. It helps raise funds for the car while writing off expenses.
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

For anyone who likes to see pics here are a few from April chauffeur service in Tampa.

This is at my house during the day. I had both cars out next to each other for the first time since we are wiring my home shop for electric. The license plate on the red car is from my Dad which was an old GTE plate. He worked there 30+ years. The lic plate frame is Woodland Hills, CA which is one of the dealer in the DSO code where the car was originally sold. Blue car has as BTTF plate which is one of my fav movies

Image41E69D4E-6C7D-44F9-B823-613F3A9428C1_1_105_c by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

Love this duster from Griot's Garage who makes the BEST detailing products in may opinion.

Image02D7A7FD-A492-405B-9DF9-F768FCA81759_1_105_c by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

Plate note nothing was hurt from the tape on the bumper. They loved this detail which was only on the car a few mins lol.

ImageBA3910BA-7B18-470B-984A-DEC877BF94E7_1_105_c by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

At the venue

ImageEEA64A17-0A84-46BA-9AA8-81DFAECC39D3_1_105_c by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

Image269F2BCB-D921-42E7-A533-2E4DCC93A7AD_1_105_c by Jason Ballard, on Flickr
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Nice...! I wanted to try and visit that area when I was down there in April, see what outlets might have been able to help me with my blown-out trunk hinge (which actually is a broken torsion bar, not a broken hinge); but the extortionist fuel prices and the multiple ills Frankenstein acquired prevented me from doing that. I was lucky enough to make it at least to Ocala to get new A/C lines made.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

TonyC, I know what you mean. I'm glad you got to visit down here in FL. Its been very nice! Hopefully the weather was great when you visited. Yeah those torsion bars I know for the hood were a PAIN for me... not sure how tough they are for the trunk. I know Blair Farmer or Eric at Lincoln Land prob have a lot of experience messing with those. I'm glad you were able to get AC lines made. Good stuff!
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Project Rita Hayworth - 1965 Lincoln Continental Convertible

Post by bd94s10 »

Ok, so I'm now working on the AC upgrade which I hope to start on Saturday.

Checkout the video releasing today at 4 PM ET where I show Blair Farmer's shop and the parts TC ordered from me. I'm super excited about the upgrade which I will be making a video about as well.

Video link: https://youtu.be/Us3DZTT1_vA

0F0680D9-1749-4060-A03F-D51E2457CB68.JPEG
Thanks for all the support and don't forget to checkout Lincoln Addict Podcast: https://lincolnaddict.podbean.com

Thanks,
Jason B.
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

So no updates yet. Last Saturday we did not start the project as Blair and TC had a few other things going on. Hoping to possibly work on it this weekend but with it being Labor Day weekend we may end up on the water and relaxing some. We shall see.

Although I showed the parts in the video link above here are the images.

Custom condenser that bolts right in

Image9EC9919D-8DC8-4F11-B8F0-B0413EAC8F41_1_105_c by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

Image01FF8F0D-578A-4400-9F5D-DC02B233EDF4_1_105_c by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

New hoses of course. Does anyone know that what "muffler" was for on the AC system? Was it over engineering? We are removing it as Blair/TC have done before and it will no longer be used!

ImageEBE1CF22-382B-47ED-85C9-2FB239A2A1ED_1_105_c by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

Expansion valve which Blair/TC said can be tricky to get off sometimes... but we will handle it with kit gloves.

Image7DF9C585-749A-484F-9E6D-5BA9AB225904_1_105_c by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

More to come!
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

No updates yet on the AC. Blair was busy and then I had a few weekends booked. I'm hoping to get it done before our 5th Annual Tampa Kennedy Cruise on 11.19.

I did change the starter to solenoid wire yesterday and documented the process via YouTube: https://youtu.be/1uwXwwge9O4

In case anyone needs to know the battery to starter power wire is 29 inches long. I purchased one from Napa and wrapped it in black electrical tape just to make it black so it doesn't stick out as much in the engine bay: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MPB7811 ... sionRank=2
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Only update I have on the '65 is I added a new battery .. 27F Interstate which I know John Cashman would suggest in the past including on this forum.

The previous battery was getting a little long in the tooth... I started noticing issues and recently I tried to use the remote to access the trunk area and it barely moved before the battery was totally dead. This is when I said to myself time to snag a new battery (I had charged the previous battery several times and I could tell it was just dying).

Interstate 27F battery - purchased locally and car has been back to perfect since the install. The battery is sitting in the grass here for this pic.

photo-output 4.JPG
Battery I purchased: https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/mtp-27f
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Jason, there are kits that you can buy on EBay that are inexpensive to dress your battery up like a factory authentic battery. Only about $25-30. I have used two of these kits. Looks like the real thing.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Thanks so much Lithium. I've seen those. I will check it out. I think it would be awesome to do that. The battery cables on this car are fantastic but I've been debating on doing a nice cut off for the battery. Someone had installed a newer style circuit breaker on the car but its not used anymore (someone undid that setup at some point). Maybe it was done when the US Congresswoman and her husband from CA owned the car. I honesty don't think it needs one but just extra assurance that its OFF if you know what I mean. I like to take care of my stuff and if I can leave the battery disconnected and on the new tender I purchased.. it should really last a long time (I'd hope). I've gotten 10+ years out of my Optima batteries in the past so I'm hoping I can get 5-8 years with this one.. by the way which would be a big feat being that I live in the Sunshine State of Florida lol.
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

So we started the AC upgrade and we are about 80-90% finished. I cover the updates in my latest YouTube video on my Lincoln Addict Channel: https://youtu.be/viFLITaqnbs

More to come as we plan to finish it soon.
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Well yesterday I used my '65 Lincoln Continental convertible "Rita Hayworth" for a music video shoot. Its an old school soul type song that mentions a Lincoln and white wall tires in the song! Can't wait for everyone to see it. The artists were super cool, polite and weren't disrespectful to the car at all.

Here is a photo the videographer took of me before he finished shots with his drone. I asked him for 1 photo and he graciously said no problem. I do plan to buy a drone in 2023 but I'm trying to figure out which one I want to buy.
IMG_2224.JPG
I also met up with a guy that goes by his nickname "Eleven" and his custom blacked out '68 Lincoln Continental sedan. He has the 462 in the car and he sounds/drives great. He met him at Rides by The River in Tampa and he ended up hanging out until 9pm when we hit a local cruise-in at Portillo's. I left at 8am yesterday and got home after 10pm. Was a great day cruising all around Tampa Bay!
IMG_2211.jpg
Peace,
ODB
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

So the guy who booked my car for a video shoot a few weeks back booked me today for 1 hour. The hour was used for a photo shoot which will be used for promotional photos and possibly their single "Whitewalls" cover artwork. Super excited for them to drop the track/video on Valentine's Day coming up here soon. More to come as I need to finish the AC upgrade here soon with Blair. Boy was it hot today. Over 80 degrees here in Lutz, FL.

ImageRita Hayworth • pre photo shoot by Jason Ballard, on Flickr
jtheye
Frequent Contributor

Post by jtheye »

I am slow, just way too slow. Have been wondering why PM's to Defrang have went unanswered. Sorry to see he sold his car. Had always enjoyed his comments in all of the threads. Was hoping to get to cruise with him someday. All makes sense now. Glad to at least know his radio silence is because he sold his car and not something worse.
Whatdidijustgetinto?
1964 Rezinental Sedan

Return to “Customized Member Projects”