1965 Lincoln Continental Convertible Platinum Build Thread

This forum is for those members who wish to post continuously updated threads on their Lincoln that is being customized beyond stock. Members who are restoring their cars to original, should use the regular Members' Projects forum.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

1965 Lincoln Continental Convertible Platinum Build Thread

Post by bd94s10 »

Since I like documenting things, including builds, I figured I would start a build thread for my buddy Tony "Boss" Bolin's 1965 Lincoln Continental convertible. He purchased the car about 3 years ago and has steadily been restoring it. I believe the factory color is platinum light blue. He has put a TON of work into this thing. As I said, I like documenting things and if this helps others or you at least appreciate the time/dedication to process.... well then enjoy.

He picked the car up the first week in October 2017 from a local Dealership that listed it for sale. It had a TON of documentation, receipts, etc. with it. The car was REALLY nice with the exception to needing the decklid outside skin repaired and a new top installed (material).

I'll add photos as I can to tell the story along the way. Quick overview

-Purchased Oct 2017
-Went to a local show to have the decklid/flapper repaired & painted
-Same local shop cleaned up and painted the engine bay
-Drove the car and enjoyed it a bit
-Lincoln Land Inc just installed a full Thunderbird Ranch (T Bird Ranch) relay system, convertible top remote, removed the entire convertible frame and detailed/painted it, reinstalled the convertible frame, installed new top (material), and a ton more
-Kustom Rods (local shop) just installed an entire air ride kit on the car. At the same time, they had his new wide white all Diamondback Tires installed

Oct 2017; right after purchase

ImageIMG_8464 by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8462 by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

Oct 2017; heading to work on his red '65 driving the newly purchased '65 vert

Image008E5E2A-2898-4D1F-BD99-3D4CA1B3C135 by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

Image13782B5E-332A-45CD-A522-19C30D68CA9C by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

You can see the decklid issues in this photo. Note the decklid was fine it just needed the holes repaired, primed, and painted.

ImageD88CB509-A910-40E1-B17B-D00F7DF73817 by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

I took the car home that night to take to a car show the next morning only to have it break down. Luckily there wasn't a dash fire as the amp gauge blew out. This is what led to him taking the dash apart and ultimately moving to detail the engine bay etc.

ImageIMG_6473 by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

I'll update this thread from time to time.
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 1965 Lincoln Continental Convertible Platinum Build Thre

Post by bd94s10 »

Here is a pic at Never Done Kustoms which this location ended up becoming a different shop when the business partners split. You will see Tony's Project Red Sled with the vintage camper but not the decklid on the '65 vert. You can see a bit more of the condition it was in. It looks like it came off the showroom floor now. Hopefully, get more pics soon!

ImageIMG_1575 by Jason Ballard, on Flickr
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Ok, found some more pics.

At Tony's shop. You will see the decklid was repaired at this point. This photo is at Tony's shop. You can see the thrashed convertible top which has since all been replaced with a Jim Wallace kit!

Image59590685274__3252D781-2D99-4D15-8A30-A65004110A78 by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

We took the car on our 2nd Annual Tampa Kennedy Cruise in 2019. Here I'm wearing a Santa Monica Airlines (skateboard) t-shirt which was apparently a remake from a run they did in '89!?! I'm into 80s skateboarding and never realized they made this!

ImageIMG_1498 by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

After the 2019 cruise at my place

Image59623644542__40FE6D7B-92A6-4253-A6C9-06BF98362D81 by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

More to come!
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Gorgeous car! Love the stories and photos.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Classiccannuk
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Classiccannuk »

Thanks for posting! Enjoyed the pic's
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

That car is looking good! Thanks for posting about it and for including pictures. It looks like it is white in pictures taken at night but it shows light blue in one of the daytime pictures. It is a pretty looking '65 and appears to be coming along nicely.
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

No problem gents. Thanks for the feedback. Yes, it does look white in some of those photos. I'm still looking for more pics but the place that was Never Done Kustoms painted the engine bay/engine black. He also ran The Radiator Lady overflow and radiator which were both powder-coated black. The engine looks top notch. It runs very cool with the electric fans etc. Not 100% stock but is a really nice car.

Wish I had pics of what Lincoln Land did. They literally disassembled the entire convertible top frame and detailed it to the 9s (or however you say that lol).
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Ok, found a few more pics. This is when the T-Bird ranch kit came in last year. He waited to have the kit installed until it was ready in terms of the timeline.

Sitting on top of my car in this pic

ImageT-Bird Ranch kit by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

Unboxing

This replaces the upper back panel switch

Nice packaging

T-Bird kit - https://www.tbirdranch.com

Lincoln kit - https://www.tbirdranch.com/Linconconv.html

To each their own as far as opinions as to if someone really "needs" this kit. My feedback to most is if you need an overall on relays or you're bringing a parts car back to life... this might be for you. Lincoln Land did a great install on this kit. I'll share pics in the future.

Jason
stevedrums
Frequent Contributor

Post by stevedrums »

your car, your rules. if it makes you happy and functions properly than i'm all for it. looks like a high quality product
1961 Sedan
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Thanks for the comment Steve!

He has been cruising the car and enjoying it a ton. I need to get more updated pics. The trunk looks amazing with the T-Bird Ranch kit installed and how they made a panel to hide everything but the new relays. I'll get pics this weekend at our 3rd Annual Tampa Kennedy Cruise.

Here are some recent pics from Slamfest and what not. The car got finished (suspension) right before Slamfest 2020 in mic October. I officially named his car "Bolin's Blue Mothership" so we will be using that hashtag on social media going forward lol.

At Joe's place Kustom Rods in Tampa right after he installed the Devious Customs & Choppin Block suspension.

ImageTony “Boss” Bolin’s #BolinsBlueMothership by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

At Slamfest

Leaving Slamfest

Out cruising Sat night after the show

One of my fav pics I took at Frenchy's in Clearwater. He almost got a ticket because signs said not to back into the spots. There was almost NO ONE there. It was erie for a Saturday night seeing the place so dead. Literally not even 1% of the parking lot was full. Luckily the parking lot attendant liked the car and went looking for him in Frenchy's only to say don't back in during future visits lol. At least the guy was cool.

At a Halloween party, his sister had which Tony dressed like Clark Griswold from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation since his car looks similiar to the car in the movie lol.

RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

Do the blue button switches have a manufacturer and part number on them or any identifying markings on them? I have been looking for switches something like that.
Rob
1966 Lincoln Convertible (White/Black)
1957 Chevy Bel Air Resto-Mod (Anthricite/Black)
2009 Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi (Hemi Orange Pearl/Black)
2012 Expedition EL (White Titanium Tricoat/Charcoal)
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Sorry that I am not sure. I never looked at them that close. I've seen switches like that before online. These came from T-Bird Ranch of course but not sure who they buy them from.

Return to “Customized Member Projects”