1967 Convertible LS project

This forum is for those members who wish to post continuously updated threads on their Lincoln that is being customized beyond stock. Members who are restoring their cars to original, should use the regular Members' Projects forum.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

djnga

1967 Convertible LS project

Post by djnga »

It has been a long project but i am finally seeing the light at the end. Going to paint first of June. Here is a sneak peak.
Attachments
IMG_20200413_192643017 copy.jpg
1967 LS1 Convertible
stevedrums
Frequent Contributor

Re: 1967 Convertible LS project

Post by stevedrums »

wow. specs on motor?
1961 Sedan
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

The LS looks good. Where the heater core/hvac used to be there is some newer looking aluminum? What is that system? I have heard/read that the low end torque at around 2500 rpm on the LS conversions is only half that of the 430/462 motors. I don't know anyone with an LS or Coyote that could compare the torque of the original to that of the swap motors. I like the low end torque. Do you have any thoughts on this? Many LS posters on Suicide Slabs talk about reliability as the reason to change motors. But I have owned 3 consecutive 1965s over the last 25 years and have never been stranded with a no start condition. Multiple trips from Seattle to LA and no problem. I like the idea of better gas mileage and admittedly, the motor looks cool in the engine bay. But what can you expect with regard to torque? Short of putting in a diesel motor.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 9.40.16 PM.png
Robert DeFrang
djnga

Post by djnga »

It is a 20k Miles stock all aluminum LS1 out of a GTO (front sump oil pan) with the 4l60e transmission. I haven't drove it much but it seems to have a lot better acceleration. There was a lot of modifications we had to do to make it fit. I originally had a exhaust manifold leak on the 462 and the only way to fix was to pull the engine so might as well put a late model fuel injected engine in it. Mainly for the reliability and cool factor. it was a snowball effect after that. Might as well soda blast it and start over. I replace the steering with a late model rack and pinion steering which again was not easy. I also converted door locks to electric keyless and also you know you have to air bag it. Attached is a picture before i took it apart and the other is the engine bay with modifactions.
Attachments
IMG_147022.jpg
IMG_20180620_101330.jpg
1967 LS1 Convertible
syfe1
Occasional Visitor

Post by syfe1 »

How long did the LS swap take?
Instagram: @jonelloh

Return to “Customized Member Projects”