Project Smuggler's Blues - Triple Blue 1964 Convertible

This forum is for those members who wish to post continuously updated threads on their Lincoln that is being customized beyond stock. Members who are restoring their cars to original, should use the regular Members' Projects forum.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Project Smuggler's Blues - Triple Blue 1964 Convertible

Post by bd94s10 »

I'll still working on my 67 sedan dubbed "JFK Ride" however I was itching for a driver. You may have noticed a thread in the Convertible forum but I drove to Michigan the weekend of 12/2/2017 to pickup this all original 56K mile vert. The guy purchased it on 9/3/1976 from the Auburn Action near his house. He drove it a little each year to keep it going but for the most part it sat for ~40 years. The car is untouched, for the most part, with the exception of the rear bumper.

What do I have in store? First off a good bit of maintenance to make it a family fun driver. I'll be detailing the project here as I've done with JFK Ride. He had taken the bumper apart to get it re-chromed. The bumpettes and bumper ends were about the only thing that didn't come with the car. I've got some others already purchased and a nicer bumper to throw on it.

So far:
-lined up an entire 65 front setup to convert to discs (buddy in Tenn selling me all the parts)
-removed window switches and taking to Tim Nill at Lincoln-Ranch to be rebuilt
-messed with windows and got rear going up and down (passenger rear auto drop also works)
-ordered:
-- engine gasket kit
--wheel cylinders (for now I'll change them all out to get it driving)
--steering pump gasket kit ordered (will change them out when the front of motor torn apart)
--one bumper end and bumperettes (still need 1 bumper end but Blair Farmer has one for me)
--rear soft brake line (markiient has the best price on eBay)
--fuel sending unit (anticipating this one is bad and going to pull the tank) (markiient has the best price on eBay)
--spark plugs (still debating on which wires I'll run)
--rotor
-Changed out 1 circuit breaker in the passenger kick panel that was nasty (see pic)

What needs to be done:
-purchase a Carter 3 port fuel pump (car as a 2 port on it with the return line tee'd in) - DONE
-order timing gear set - DONE
-front window regulators/motors removed to be rebuilt/cleaned - DONE
-water pump rebuilt - DONE
-middle inserts for bumper (Blair Farmer has a set for me as mine are roached - bent up for some reason) - DONE
-change a couple courtesy lights in the doors
-get the top working (started troubleshooting it already (Blair Farmer will do a tune up on the top if I can't get it working by Jan 2018) - Partially DONE
-replace bias ply tires (these are either the original or second set of tires on the car) with nice wide whit wall tires - these tires are SHOT - DONE
-Order a new top (Jim Wallace is sending me a sample of the blue color he has) with wiring, etc. - SOON
-Have new top installed - SOON
-Verify if car needs water diverters. My 67 was fine but if the car needs them I'll pickup a set from Lincoln Ranch - Ordered and sending back for brass
-Swap out manifold gaskets - Ordered
-Register a 1964 Florida license plate to the car (I have to send it off for FL to verify the plate) - DONE
-Stainless exhaust installed (exhaust is nasty)
-Change 3 soft brake lines - ORDERED Rear from Mark II Enterprises - DONE
-Drop the tank/install the new sending unit/change the fuel lines going to sending unit - DONE

Extras
-install polished hub caps (Tony Bolin sent a few extra sets out to be hight speed polished and to have dents removed)
-polish the paint (was going to leave it as is but Tony's Red Sled came out so nice I think I'll buff it out)
-static drop the car 2/3 with lowering blocks from The Slab Shack and jamco front lowering springs
-I may install a remote for the top
-I'm having Rendered by Thor do a rendering for me. Same guy that did my 67 sedan hand drawn rendering

Note: in the video of the pickup you'll see I refer it to as Project Papa Smurf. I lost my Dad unexpectedly on 10/11 this year and that was his nickname. I'm doing this one in his honor. We love music so I'm naming it Smugglers Blues due to the triple blue color!

I'm sure I'm forgetting something so let me know if you have any other suggestions/feedback! It is always appreciated. I'm going to drive the hell out of this car and really enjoy it.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAJwa0Lr6WE

Pics:

ImageLCC Blue by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0476 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0475 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0610 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_9855 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_9781 by bd94s10, on Flickr

(it came with a NOS hood emblem

ImageIMG_0529 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0530 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0698 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0610 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0518 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0540 by bd94s10, on Flickr
Last edited by bd94s10 on Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: Project Smuggler's Blues - Triple Blue 1964 Convertible

Post by mge825y »

Very Nice!
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Thanks man. I've wanted a vert for a very long time. Patience paid off this time and I found a car I couldn't be more happy with. Now to get the top working, basic maintenance and the windows working and I'll be golden!
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

Sweet!!!
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Thanks very much!

Parts started coming in for the car. I dropped the gas tank on Saturday 12/23. Was never dropped. Sending unit was nasty but inside the tank is salvageable. I'm going to have it sand blasted and powedrecoated like I did on my 67 tank. I'm debating on it or buying a new tank on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gas-tank-for-1 ... CF&vxp=mtr

It comes down to how much it will be to blast/coat because $350.00 for a new tank is not bad at all.

The Carter 3 port (must have of course) fuel pump is super clean! I think I'll try it before I rip it apart for a rebuild. Here are the pics from eBay:

ImageScreen Shot 2017-12-26 at 4.02.17 PM by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageScreen Shot 2017-12-26 at 4.02.25 PM by bd94s10, on Flickr

Here are some pics from the fuel tank drop. WOW the fuel was DISGUSTING! Check it out!

ImageIMG_0058 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0039 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0038 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0040 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0041 by bd94s10, on Flickr

Can't really see in the tank in this pic: ImageIMG_0043 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0048 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0051 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0053 by bd94s10, on Flickr

Asbestos Wrapped! Was that how they made them back in the day?

ImageIMG_0054 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0056 by bd94s10, on Flickr

Video: https://www.instagram.com/p/BdD4MDmHHzy ... colnaddict
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

The new tank looks good. If you powder coat the old tank it might have trouble fitting back up there? It looks like the tank wedges in pretty tight. The Carter fuel pump looks new. Your not going Fitech? I have pertronix and my car starts and runs great but I keep thinking about fuel injection like burnski on his 64 but with that killer tank set up that your buddy sells.
Robert DeFrang
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Thanks man. I think the powder coat won't add that much in terms of the gas tank fitting. Jeff at Devious has had really great luck with the EFI setups. My buddy Tony has his new EFI installed and it has been working great. I think the key is taking your time w/ the wiring. A guy I know in South Florida with a 65 (Tom) has an electric fuel pump hooked up right to his carb. It is near the gas tank and works flawlessly. His is ran off keyed ignition source. I know many use the electric fuel pump to either prime the mechanical or supply the fuel all together such as what my friend does. His car is super nice.

I don't think you can go wrong with the EFI. On my 64 to be honest I think I'll keep it stock. If I get going too much I won't end up finishing my 67 sedan. I'll get this to be an awesome driver and then maybe down the road go full tilt on it. I'm even debating on a full T-Bird ranch upgrade for the convertible.

http://www.tbirdranch.com/Linconconv.html

Decisions decisions to make!
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

Jason,
I asked John Cashman about that Tbird relay setup after I had to replace 2 relays and a bus bar. He told me not to do it. That my refreshed system would last a decade or more. EFI on the other hand just seems awesome. Especially after looking at that Devious Customs fuel tank with built in pump for the 64-69 Lincoln. These cars are money sinks even if you do work on them yourself. My current list is top from Jim Wallace since I got the carpet from him last year, then redo seat upholstery, then EFI. My top is supposed to arrive next month. Hard to find a place that I trust to install the top though. So far I have a quote from a place that has experience with 60s Lincoln tops: 2,000 dollars.
Rob
Robert DeFrang
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Yes, your right. I think the TBird Ranch is an option only if the entire system needs an overhaul. I think most of mine is fine. If anything I'll need to replace all my hoses and possibly my top motor.

EFI def is a cool thing man. Can't beat it on an old car. Jim Wallace use to install the tops and doesn't anymore. He isn't too far from us here in FL. My buddy Tony met him not to long ago to get a white top for his 65 vert. I'm def getting my blue top from him. I tried to get him to install mine but he is retired from doing it from what I understand.

Def have to pace yourself on these cars. They take up a lot of time, effort and money that is for SURE! LOL.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

bd94s10 wrote:
Def have to pace yourself on these cars. They take up a lot of time, effort and money that is for SURE! LOL.
All true statements, but they are so worth it!
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

No doubt! I made some progress on the car.

First, I was making great headway on refurbing the gas tank. I had sanded it a tad by hand and w/ the sander. I was cleaning the inside with acid and was on my way to having a clean tank. I knew it was a gamble not buying a new tank but figured hey what the hell. I left it one more night the other day and the acid ate through the side of the tank that had the factory shield on it. There was a good bit of rust between the shield and tank.... upon sanding the chunks of rust away it was just a tad too much. It started leaking overnight. I'm kind of ok with this because I really wanted to start with a clean tank and now I'll have that chance.

Gas tank as I started cleaning the inside & out:

ImageIMG_0185 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0198 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0201 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0186 by bd94s10, on Flickr

Changed a circuit breaker in the front passenger kick panel area:

Image559CFAE0-7D92-49C1-88B7-A3C2FF59F2A1 by bd94s10, on Flickr

Carter 3 port came in:

ImageIMG_0180 by bd94s10, on Flickr

Got the car up on jack stands to start going through the brakes. They are NASTY:

ImageIMG_0269 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0272 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0271 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0273 by bd94s10, on Flickr

To get the car going I will be cleaning up and refurbing the 64 brakes. Full cleanup, new grease, wheel cylinders, soft brake lines, hard brake lines (where needed), fluid, etc. I also picked up a dual master cylinder that will go on the car when I swap to front disc brakes (from a 65). While the car is up in the air I'll tank the driver side front splash shield off to change the rubber fuel lines behind it and blow the lines out. Hoping they will cleanup pretty good with some air.
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

At this pace you will have a safe driver in no time. When you have it all apart it will be a great time to assess/change the lower steering column bushing.
Rob
Robert DeFrang
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Thanks man! Yeah no doubt. I kind of wish I would have waited before tearing into it. LOL. The list is growing. I keep saying well I might as well do this and that. My friend Blair is like "just pull the motor and I'll come over and help." Well I could but I'm trying to make this car a solid driver lol. So I'm how far do I take it. But yeah, if I pace myself I should have a solid driver soon. Added to the list:

-Gas tank (eBay)
-Front brake hoses ($23.99 from Advance Auto however I'll use 30% off code from RetailMeNot.com - https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/car ... /3655725-P)
-Front wheel cylinders (I have the rear 2 and will buy 2 front on eBay)
-Rag joint ($15.93 from RockAuto - https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 99&jsn=259)
-Front wheel bearing seals (going to reuse the bearings and repack them)
-New rear hard brake lines (had to cut the lines at the wheel cylinders)
-Brake fluid (the pudding in the system was NASTY as I've ever seen)

Fun times but it is Lincoln Life lol.
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Update:

Front brake hoses I ended up getting from Napa! They are even cheaper! $12.14 each if you reserve the part online: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/UBK25665

I had a feeling using the brake line wrench, PB Blaster and a small torch (heat) I would still not have luck getting the brake lines apart. In the rear I was not able to get the hose removed from the brake line. On the front driver side it was the same result. I ended up using my sawzall to cut the brake hose at the metal part. I then removed the brake line ran from the front driver splash shield that goes to the back. I'm going to either bend one myself, I have the tools, or I may purchase an Inline kit if they make it. They have a full kit for 67 in both steel and stainless. Anyone else know the best Usual Suspect that offers a full kit with all the brake lines?

Someone suggested this in another thread. I've never used it myself: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/nic ... 16190029-P
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

Call classic tube. They have a kit for the 65. I thought the 64 and 65 were similar.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-01-06 at 11.29.48 PM.png
Robert DeFrang

Return to “Customized Member Projects”