Project Smuggler's Blues - Triple Blue 1964 Convertible

This forum is for those members who wish to post continuously updated threads on their Lincoln that is being customized beyond stock. Members who are restoring their cars to original, should use the regular Members' Projects forum.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Project Smuggler's Blues - Triple Blue 1964 Convertible

Post by defrang »

Ignitor 2 red module. But I didn't know about the leaving the key on part. This is the first Pertronix I have used and it came installed in the car when I bought it. My first 2 65s dating back to 1995, had points and condenser. I had no problem with those either but I only drive the Lincolns in the Seattle summers for no more than 2-3,000 miles/year. Mostly because the front window defroster works so poorly w/o the AC-defrost combo to dehumidify the interior air. When I had a daily driver teenager car in the 70s, I used to change plugs, wires, points, etc along with reset of the timing every year. Just because my auto mechanics teacher in high school recommended it to avoid ignition problems. Now I just carry the AAA card. I should be taking my dash apart next week but it is cold and rainy here making the garage cement floor feel like a meat locker. Not sure I will get to it. Hope your back on the road soon Jason.
Robert DeFrang
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Thanks for the info Robert. That's awesome about it lasting that long. AAA rocks. Cold and rainy makes me want to rest lol. We had the storm here this week and with Veterans Day (thanks to all those that served) and then Thursday our office being closed (due to storm)... all I wanted to do is watch movies and I'm never like that during the day lol. Love me some Goonies lol.

So watched some videos and called Petronix and got some tips so I feel good about crimping on the ends. I did it before on my 462 so we will see. More to come.

Jason
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Updates

Saturday was a success! Got going early on the upgrade and it all worked out pretty flawlessly. First I ran back up to Napa to return the plug wires I had purchased the previous weekend and purchase dielectric grease.

After arriving home I wanted to start with the plug wires as I knew this aspect would take me the longest in terms of the weekend project. I also recorded a pre video to describe what I was about to embark upon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8YJq7a ... e=youtu.be

The products

ImagePertronix upgrade by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

After measuring the plug wire and cutting it I would take the pliers and slightly close the end onto the wire. This way it holds it so you don't need an extra set of hands. This is also what you will see in other YouTube videos. In the below pic you will see how it allowed me to easily snap this image since it was holding the main wire in the end. My suggestion is to put the booth on FIRST and use some sort of lubricant to aid in sliding the booth on. These Pertronix boots and wires were NO JOKE. They took some work but the more lube... well the easier it was lol.

This MSD tool I had purchased for another project made the project much easier. You essentially put the plug wire end into it and crimp it down in your vice

As many of you know your basically just crimping down the end to smash the main plug wire against the end which sends the signal. I tried not to overthink this weekend project lol.

One other nice thing with these Pertroix wires is the ends already come with a 90-degree bend in them for the most part. I did factor this in when measuring to cut the wires. I put the old one up to the new one and measured it. I only cut it shorter if I had scoped it out on the engine and noticed it was too long (e.g. factory-style wires that come pre-cut).

Pertroinx Igniter II was the EASIEST part of the install. It took just a couple of minutes to pop the cap, remove the rotor/points/condenser and proceed with install. There are YouTube videos on how to do this and again even a novice can do this part! Here is one video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlj5KYjAVn4

Check this out! I scored another bucket seat center console. Not sure what I'll use it on. If I get my buddy to sell me his '64 bucket seats maybe it will go in my '64 at some point!

This is my post video demoing the execution of the plug wires. Basically doing the job on Saturday I didn't have a second set of hands to film what I was doing. I did take pics as evident from above but recording video came on Sunday. This was to help people understand what I actually did during the project!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZNeuf1 ... e=youtu.be

Oh and this is how the finished crimp looked.

Let me know your thoughts!

Jason "ODB" The Lincoln Addict!
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

Does the car start better? differently? My current 65 with Pertronix starts so much better than my prior 2 65s that had points etc. I don't know if that's from the Pertronix or related to old points or some other factor.
Robert DeFrang
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

defrang wrote:Does the car start better? differently? My current 65 with Pertronix starts so much better than my prior 2 65s that had points etc. I don't know if that's from the Pertronix or related to old points or some other factor.
For your car that may be both!

A correctly set up original points system will start and run very well. The down side to the original system is:
A correct set up or adjustment requires some skill and/or tools to get the alignment and gap correct
The points system does not last a long time. Depending on operation and weather conditions the adjustments are only good for about a year or 12,000 miles.
Besides adjustments, points wear out and have to be replaced. Some of that wear can be mitigated with a correct condenser. (Which is difficult to find and needs special equipment to measure)
The upside to a points system is cost. It is cheap to buy and cheap to maintain.

Electronic ignition takes out all of the skill and maintenance for the original system. And a retro fit of an electronic ignition system requires a lot less skill set to install.

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Robert,

Seems to fire over great. I had removed the piece on the side of my carb with the water line to it and I think I broke off a plug Blair had inserted causing the car to run a tad rough. I'm headed to his shop tonight to work on it. He is a master at dialing in carbs. My understanding is the piece is not really necessary here in the warm climate. Prior to the points dying out the car ran perfect but when we were on the side of the road I think I hit the pice he had plugged off. Once we dial the carb in I'm confident it will great with the points.

We have our 3rd Annual Tampa Kenndy Cruise this Sat so I want to drive my car for the first time in the cruise. 2018 it was torn apart. 2019 we were finishing the motor install and this hopefully will be my year! :)

Thanks action for chiming in. You def had a great overview there. I'm not an expert when it comes to points myself. Each time we installed them my buddy Tony helped. Seemed pretty simple but to your point dialing them in perfectly was key.
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

Yes Action you are probably correct. In the 70s I had a timing light and a Vega. Every 6 months that Vega needed the strobe and readjustment for some reason. I have lost or forgotten that skill and would need a refresher.
Robert DeFrang
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Ok, so all is GREAT with my car. I'm still learning and of course, Blair quickly told me I needed to double-check the timing after I changed to Pertronix. The car was 10 degrees out of timing. It is running so GREAT now. Even better than before it died on the expressway. Within a couple of mins it was purring of course. Tony "Boss" Bolin caught wind I was headed to Blair shop so he snagged his '65 vert and his buddy Brian (airplane mechanic) drove his late 60s Camaro. It was a cool night (or us Floridians) and made for wonderful cruising weather. We left Blair's and stopped by Chris Dunn's place before proceeding to Clearwater to snag a couple of pics. It was dead out there, as expected, due to COVID and it being a weeknight. I'm not a fan of Clearwater beach as it is a tourist trap but it was nice cruising with NO ONE out! Literally NO traffic. Went to Frenchys On The Beach location and then down the beach a bit. Took a few pics. I used my 360 camera to capture a couple of thes and more coming to share. Car drove wonderful home and I'm excited. The last year I have really worked hard to dial the car in and I finally feel like I'm over that hill. Sure it was running and driving pretty much the last 8-9 months but now I feel as confident as ever to cruise hopefully without issue. Also, this weekend is our 3rd Annual Tampa Kennedy Cruise! Pics below of course.

3rd Annual Tampa Kennedy Cruise

ImageUntitled by Jason Ballard, on Flickr

My '64 and Tony's '65 in front w/ Brian's Camaro behind my car. Note how bright the door LED courtesy lights are!

Tony's '65 - a few walkers stopped to take pics. One guy said his Dad had a '65 and it was his fav year. I gave Tony a hard time and told him to tell the guy '64 is the best year lol. The guy laughed.

Something different. I love taking these photos. I use a 360 camera to achieve this look

defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

What a journey to getting the car dialed in. Great work by you and all the support you received from the Lincoln family. The car looks great. Now you have a good as new motor and transmission.
Robert DeFrang
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Thanks Robert! Really appreciate it! Its been a 3-year journey! Sadly it started right after I lost my Dad in Oct 2017. I know he is looking down enjoying what he is seeing... although he was NOT a Ford guy at all but loved my love for 60s Lincolns. For those that didn't see it before... here is the video of us going up at the beginning of Dec to snag the car. We left FL and I believe it was pretty warm... of course I get up North and I had kind of forgotten it was going to be cool lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SifQrVdeXx8&t=44s

Haven't had much time to mess w/ the car this week but we are pretty much locked in for our 3rd Annual Tampa Kennedy Cruise this Saturday. Mapping out the route now. Please subscribe to our Lincoln Addict Social Media pages via Facebook and Instagram as well as YouTube. I'll post as much as I can this weekend! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC46SrZ ... 2lGJBcvf1w

Jason
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Here are a few pics of my Project Smuggler's Blues during our 3rd Annual Tampa Kennedy Cruise. What a great time! Hope to have even more Lincolns out in 2021!

Pic my wife took with me holding my '67 hood emblem

Drone pic Lou took. He owns a super nice '62 Lincoln Continental convertible which Lincoln land Inc. has been doing a TON of work to.

Had 6 in my car for the cruise including my wife, Mom, niece, nephew, and son.. and then me driving of course.

The University of Tampa where we pull around the big loop each year! Such a great spot in Tampa!

Felt good leading the cruise. Car ran GREAT!

My '64 on the end with 11 total Lincolns prior to the cruise. We ended up hanging out about 2-hours talking etc. before we left.

More to come via Lincoln Addict social media platforms!

Jason
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

What's going on everyone. Happy New Year! Not many updates but a few I'd like to share.

I've been driving the car some and enjoying it. We drove to a local meet up last night. Tony "Boss" Bolin picked up a Ford Country Squire wagon which is just in amazing condition.

First off I finally took the time to stick on my new rear bumper inserts. Some may recall I had them machined off the specs of the original. I had another guy make me the vinyl grid patterns. I had another friend install the grids onto the new aluminum pieces. Well, I took the time this weekend to peel the 2 sided tape and stick them on. They look GREAT in person. You can't even really tell they don't have the slight factory bend to them. Now I need to install the new grids for the piece on the deck lid! I recorded a video and now need to edit it to show people how easy the install is plus how good they look. 1965 inserts coming soon and I think I'll have the lines machined in them so people can paint the lines black.

Last night cruising to the local get together. Don't worry we social distanced but cruising the 2 cars out was a blast. Note I don't have my hub caps on. I lost another one and then found it so I'm not putting them on anymore lol

My wife snapped this one of Tony cruising in the wagon

At the gathering

One of my best friends Paul made some time to build my kick panels. He has a 1 man yard business and during this time of the year he works 1 week on and 1 week off. He is always working on home projects and now a super huge stereo project but he still made time. Wait till you see the finished prodcut. He is going above and beyond on these. He built an awesome work bench to make it easier to use his router etc. He really does amazing work. Can't wait to show everyoen. Its gonan be a few weeks though before they are finished.

Again, Happy New Year! Can't wait to make a lot more progress on my car in 2021!
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

The wagon is awesome! I do not see these in the Seattle area anymore. What about putting your colorado custom wheels on the 64? No more caps to lose. What speakers are you putting in the pods?
Robert DeFrang
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Thanks, Robert for always posting on the thread!

CC wheels will go on soon. I just don't want to get an alignment and then again after the air suspension goes on. I think the caps would have stayed on had I checked the air pressure. I think the one tire was a tad low which of course can be the cause of them popping off (ugh). Very soon I hope to get the suspension installed.

I did some work on the car Saturday. I've wanted to hold off on re-installing the upper dash panel until I found a good AC indicator needle but said to heck with it. I prob won't start the AC overhaul until the Spring and I'll tackle that at that point. Plus I'll want Blair to get all the stuff working properly under the dash including the locks working again (no longer worked after I had the vacuum canister changed) so it will come apart again in the near future.

The radio isn't properly seated as the screw wasn't installed from above. It appeared the radio was serviced in the 70s and they never put the screw back in. Anyway, I realized putting the radio knobs back in that it isn't secured correctly. Not a big deal as I won't be using it but something I'll nail down once it comes back apart in the future. It was a good feeling to get it back in finally and see the LED lights at night with it back together.

I also made a new video for YouTube related to Steele Rubber and my new '64 bumper inserts. My guy is working on the '65 inserts this week and I'll have them for sale. YouTube: https://bit.ly/38tvEjQ

Dash photo from Saturday

Looking forward to making more happen in 2021!

Jason
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Hey hey. Been enjoying the car. Much more to come in 2021 ya'll. Sorry for the delay on new episodes of Lincoln Addict podcast. I really need to produce more this year!

Return to “Customized Member Projects”