New guy with a lot of questions

This forum is for those members who wish to post continuously updated threads on their Lincoln that is being customized beyond stock. Members who are restoring their cars to original, should use the regular Members' Projects forum.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

PHILLYDEAN
Occasional Visitor

New guy with a lot of questions

Post by PHILLYDEAN »

IMG_0358.JPG
Hello everyone. I just picked up a 65 continental and I want to get it back on the road. If anyone has any ideas on the must do list please let me know.
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: New guy with a lot of questions

Post by John Mc »

First off congratulations and welcome! Please check out the LCOC website and join our great club - it's the best way to get connected. http://www.lcoc.org and you can join right there.

OK, on to your car, you have to be a lot more specific, like does it run? How many miles? Does it turn over? Where was it stored?? Does it stop? Any strange noises?? How are the tires? These are quite complicated machines. They contain an amazing amount of vacuum operated systems. Also, these Lincolns do not have frames so unless it is a rock solid car, a parts car might be your only choice. Please tell us tons more about this car - and you mechanical skill level. There are many very knowledgable folks here, but we need far more facts.......and more pictures help too.
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
‘77 Town Coupe Glass Top
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
burnski
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by burnski »

couple things to be aware of with the 65

the amp gauge in the dash tends to catch fire. bypass it.
replace the steering box rubber bushings with metal ones. they can tear off and youll loose control
replace the nylon timing gear with steel ones. the teeth strip and your timing will slip
replace the centre link. they wear out and you can loose control
replace the lower shift tube bushing. shifter can fall from park into reverse on its own.
Pat
Bagged 1964 Lincoln Continental
My Air Ride Install, My FiTech EFI Install
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

burnski wrote:couple things to be aware of with the 65

replace the steering box rubber bushings with metal ones. they can tear off and youll loose control
replace the nylon timing gear with steel ones. the teeth strip and your timing will slip
replace the lower shift tube bushing. shifter can fall from park into reverse on its own.
Great point, Philly, NEVER leave this car running without someone behind the wheel as the shift detent is a horrible design and the car can easily move into gear with disastrous results!
‘77 Town Coupe Glass Top
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
burnski
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by burnski »

John Mc wrote:
burnski wrote:couple things to be aware of with the 65

Great point, Philly, NEVER leave this car running without someone behind the wheel as the shift detent is a horrible design and the car can easily move into gear with disastrous results!
To build on John's point. This even includes with the park brake on. a "feature" from back then was that as soon as you shift out of park it auto-releases the parking brake. so even if you have the park brake set it will auto-release if/when the shifter falls out of park into reverse allowing the car to take off.
Pat
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

This question has been asked a million times.

But I can never find a good thread to make a sticky.

Any suggestions?
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Bam!! Here's is your answer:

Subject: What to look for in a "new" car.
autostick wrote:
Capek13 wrote:My question is, what are some basic things to look for when I'm checking this car out. I know of some real common issues (I.e. passenger side exhaust manifold leaking). Is there anything else I should make sure to check out that could be indicative of a major issue.
Do you plan on fixing it for show or just for fun? Do you have a great set of tools? A heated garage with a two post lift or just jackstands on a gravel driveway? Above average mechanical skills? Like to paint or work with bondo? Some of this background will color the answers you get. But not knowing this I am pleased to provide this perspective of a happy owner of a 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan.

Lets start with the front bumper and meet at the tail.
  • Bumper straight and chrome not excessively pitted. Same for grillework.
  • Crossmember immediately under the bumper where the four strut rod bolts are visible should be rock solid. Unfortunately this steel U-channel collects water and will rust so poke it with an awl or stick a magnet on it to judge rust.
  • While under there inspect rubber bushings, these are rotted if original and figure $500 to replace everything in the front end.
  • Battery box missing or repaired? Look under the battery this is where the acid could cause extensive rust.
  • Original three port fuel pump? If not, lots of stalling.
  • Original four barrel carb with water choke?
  • Was the nylon timing gear replaced? No way to tell by looking, ask for the service records.
  • Lots of oil on the belly could mean the front oil seal, same procedure as the timing chain to fix it.
  • Assume you will test drive the beast and feel any tendency to follow road grooves. If severe have someone turn the wheel while you watch the steering box, any movement means the rubber donuts are gone. This could also mean it needs a new center link.
  • Assume you know what to check on the engine; ticking sounds are typical of a exhaust manifold leak on either side.
  • Check fluids, oil not milky, antifreeze looks clean, tranny fluid is red and does not smell burnt, brake fluid transparent brown not opaque black.
  • Single cylinder master or dual upgrade? Figure $300 to do it right.
  • Check for disconnected vacuum tubing as this is frustration city if you need to reroute original tubes.
  • What fluid is that pooling on the engine near the firewall, atop of the valley pan? green antifreeze might be okay, oil gas or tranny fluid would be a concern. Dry and clean is simply amazing.
  • Put a magnet on the doglegs and check for bondo.
  • Lift the front carpets and check the floor, you should not see the street.
  • Sun visor mounts are cast potmetal and a weak point, inspect casting for telltale cracks and proper operation up/down left/right.
  • Roadtest and check all mechanicals. How much play in the steering? AC working? Even braking? No ping?
  • Smooth immediate shifting?
  • Shut down the engine and the vacuum doorlocks should continue to open and close, if not you will be troubleshooting vacuum tubing.
  • HVAC working? Again this is a complex vacuum-electrical system.
  • Windows and seat move as directed; if not you have a disassembly and grease job, easy but several hours.
  • Look at door bottoms check for rust and holes.
  • Upholstery in good shape? Rear ashtray lighters working? Rear deck speaker okay?
  • Peak moulding is chrome stainless, in good shape? check for pry marks if removal was attempted.
  • Lift trunk liner and look for rust. Lincoln glued asphalt liner on top of metal, so you might have to peek under that.
  • Original spare, bumper jack? These items are decorative but nice to have.
  • Pot metal chrome at far corners of trunk lid: typical to see extensive pitting, excellent smooth chrome shows it was replaced or very well maintained.
  • Rear end chrome condition, straight body lines.
  • Get service records or at least a believable oral history.
PHILLYDEAN
Occasional Visitor

Post by PHILLYDEAN »

John Mc wrote:First off congratulations and welcome! Please check out the LCOC website and join our great club - it's the best way to get connected. http://www.lcoc.org and you can join right there.

OK, on to your car, you have to be a lot more specific, like does it run? How many miles? Does it turn over? Where was it stored?? Does it stop? Any strange noises?? How are the tires? These are quite complicated machines. They contain an amazing amount of vacuum operated systems. Also, these Lincolns do not have frames so unless it is a rock solid car, a parts car might be your only choice. Please tell us tons more about this car - and you mechanical skill level. There are many very knowledgable folks here, but we need far more facts.......and more pictures help too.

John the car didn't run when I got it but I got it running ish. The odometer says 55,857 miles. It was inside for the past 22 years. It stops ish. The only noise is the horrible exhaust leaks. Im fairly mechanical. The car has a little rust on in the floor boards and a small rust spot under the right rear door. Also I will post more pictures soon. Thank you.
PHILLYDEAN
Occasional Visitor

Post by PHILLYDEAN »

Great point, Philly, NEVER leave this car running without someone behind the wheel as the shift detent is a horrible design and the car can easily move into gear with disastrous results![/quote]

Found that out the hard way.
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

PHILLYDEAN wrote:
John Mc wrote:First off congratulations and welcome! Please check out the LCOC website and join our great club - it's the best way to get connected. http://www.lcoc.org and you can join right there.

John the car didn't run when I got it but I got it running ish. The odometer says 55,857 miles. It was inside for the past 22 years. It stops ish. The only noise is the horrible exhaust leaks. Im fairly mechanical. The car has a little rust on in the floor boards and a small rust spot under the right rear door. Also I will post more pictures soon. Thank you.
Well Philly, sounds to me like the best path to follow is what Dan posted. If it were my car, I'd do what I could do first is get the car so it will move and stop under its own power. These are huge beasts and you want to spend as short as possible moving them around manually. Forget the exhaust for now, get that thing in a place out of the weather and start with the engine and then the brakes, or do the brakes first and replace all rubber, master, slaves etc. If I were a betting man I'd say all of the brake system is junk. Once that's done, do a complete - and I mean complete fluid change and replace all ignition components. Try to run the car on a separate temporary fuel vessel. You will have to most likely drop the tank and have it boiled out or replaced. If the car sat that long the tank's contents are a jelly mess. After it starts and runs and stops, then I'd address the exhaust, windows or whatever else needs attention.
But before any gets done, get a shop manual and one last thing - do you have a clean title in your name???? Is it insured??? And all of us love pictures here so please post when you can of of course join the LCOC too.
Have a great Thanksgiving and welcome to the forum! Call me if you want as I have brought several of these monsters back to life, 847-997-9944.
‘77 Town Coupe Glass Top
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

PHILLYDEAN wrote:

Well Philly, sounds to me like the best path to follow is what Dan posted. If it were my car, I'd do what I could do first is get the car so it will move and stop under its own power. These are huge beasts and you want to spend as short time as possible moving them around manually. Forget the exhaust for now, get that thing in a place out of the weather and start with the engine and then the brakes, or do the brakes first and replace all rubber, master, slaves etc. If I were a betting man I'd say all of the brake system is junk. Once that's done, do a complete - and I mean complete fluid change and replace all ignition components. Try to run the car on a separate temporary fuel vessel. You will have to most likely drop the tank and have it boiled out or replaced. If the car sat that long the tank's contents are a jelly mess. After it starts and runs and stops, then I'd address the exhaust, windows or whatever else needs attention.
But before any gets done, get a shop manual and one last thing - do you have a clean title in your name???? Is it insured??? And all of us love pictures here so please post when you can of of course join the LCOC too.
Have a great Thanksgiving and welcome to the forum! Call me if you want as I have brought several of these monsters back to life, 847-997-9944.
‘77 Town Coupe Glass Top
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
burnski
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by burnski »

PHILLYDEAN wrote:Great point, Philly, NEVER leave this car running without someone behind the wheel as the shift detent is a horrible design and the car can easily move into gear with disastrous results!

Found that out the hard way.[/quote]

did it take off on you?
Pat
PHILLYDEAN
Occasional Visitor

Post by PHILLYDEAN »

burnski wrote:
PHILLYDEAN wrote:Great point, Philly, NEVER leave this car running without someone behind the wheel as the shift detent is a horrible design and the car can easily move into gear with disastrous results!

Found that out the hard way.
did it take off on you?[/quote]

It sure did with my 7 year old in the back seat. Luckily she is smart and climbed in the front and put it back in park. Took me by surprise.
burnski
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by burnski »

PHILLYDEAN wrote: It sure did with my 7 year old in the back seat. Luckily she is smart and climbed in the front and put it back in park. Took me by surprise.
holy crap, thats scary.
Pat

Return to “Customized Member Projects”