My 64 Project. Phase 2: Air Ride.

This forum is for those members who wish to post continuously updated threads on their Lincoln that is being customized beyond stock. Members who are restoring their cars to original, should use the regular Members' Projects forum.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

burnski
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: My 64 Project. Phase 2: Air Ride.

Post by burnski »

PHILLYDEAN wrote:
burnski wrote:
PHILLYDEAN wrote:Yes, I'm going to order it today.
Awesome. Tell them I sent you.

Here is the kit I just bought. I got a sweet deal on it. I will start posting pictures as soon as it comes in.

http://www.bcfab.com/Complete-FBSS-Airb ... _1194.html
Awesome man, exciting. Congrats. Any questions just ask.
Pat
Bagged 1964 Lincoln Continental
My Air Ride Install, My FiTech EFI Install
burnski
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by burnski »

One other tip. The drill bit sizes in the directions for the rear upper bag mount bar are wrong in their instructions.

The bolts are 1/2 but the instructions say 3/8. And the sleeves are 5/8 but instructions say 9/16.
Pat
PHILLYDEAN
Occasional Visitor

Post by PHILLYDEAN »

I'm sure I will have plenty. Thanks again.
PHILLYDEAN
Occasional Visitor

Post by PHILLYDEAN »

What shocks did you go with.
burnski
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by burnski »

PHILLYDEAN wrote:What shocks did you go with.
stock shocks in the rear, none in the front. but i am going to add shocks before spring. likely stock thunderbird shocks for the rear. they are identical to the LC just 1.5" shorter. Up front im not sure yet since im still using the stock control arms so really dont have anywhere to mount them, but im thinking about ordering these and modifying them to work: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/172483429658 because they look like the ones BC Fab used (that ebay seller Twisted Images used to be the manager at BC fab) on their install on their blog: http://bcfab.blogspot.ca/2013/11/1967-l ... le_14.html
Pat
burnski
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by burnski »

added front shocks:
shocks.jpg
goes in next week to have the exhaust done.
Pat
SickBoyWI

Post by SickBoyWI »

Great post!

I'm in Central WI here, so I feel ya on the cold weather thing. I just picked up a '64 LCC hard top, and it's time start planning. We're still well in the grips of winter, but I'm looking forward to the spring projects.

I have a few questions for you on all this, if you don't mind.

It's been a little while since all this was done. How has it worked out? Any issues or things you'd do differently?

You mentioned a few things that you needed to get from other places before finishing the air ride install. Things like an air filter, push fittings, and a fuse box. Are these noted in the kit as necessary / not included, or did you have to figure it out along the way?

Did you have any issues with the rear end drop and the gas tank? I've read that there's conflict there some times, and am in your experience.
burnski
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by burnski »

SickBoyWI wrote:Great post!

I'm in Central WI here, so I feel ya on the cold weather thing. I just picked up a '64 LCC hard top, and it's time start planning. We're still well in the grips of winter, but I'm looking forward to the spring projects.

I have a few questions for you on all this, if you don't mind.

It's been a little while since all this was done. How has it worked out? Any issues or things you'd do differently?

You mentioned a few things that you needed to get from other places before finishing the air ride install. Things like an air filter, push fittings, and a fuse box. Are these noted in the kit as necessary / not included, or did you have to figure it out along the way?

Did you have any issues with the rear end drop and the gas tank? I've read that there's conflict there some times, and am in your experience.
Hey. I rode it all last year, put about 2000km on it, no problems that wern't self-inflicted. I blew both front bags when the welds in the plates failed. I ended up adding gussets to the front bag perches in the lower control arms and no problems since. only other thing that happened was a broke a e-level arm.

you kinda gotta figure out what you need as you go along. the fuse block and water trap though arent necessary - just additions that are easier to do as you go along vs coming back trying to do it later. also the kit i chose does not include shocks.I used thunderbird shocks in the rear - they are identical just 1.5" shorter. For the front i used shock relocation kit from a impala with the shocks from a 90's full size ford van.

no problem what-so-ever with the fuel tank.
Pat
syfe1
Occasional Visitor

Post by syfe1 »

Hey Pat (Burnski)... Love your build! I am doing a very similar setup... Do you have pictures of how you set your level sensors for the front? You commented on which shocks and mounts to get for the front of my '64... unfortunately, I have my level sensors in that exact place for the mounts... so I am trying to see where others typically install the sensors. Any help would be appreciated!
Instagram: @jonelloh
burnski
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by burnski »

syfe1 wrote:Hey Pat (Burnski)... Love your build! I am doing a very similar setup... Do you have pictures of how you set your level sensors for the front? You commented on which shocks and mounts to get for the front of my '64... unfortunately, I have my level sensors in that exact place for the mounts... so I am trying to see where others typically install the sensors. Any help would be appreciated!
Yup. Kinda interior of my control arm pockets.
Attachments
12.jpg
Pat
syfe1
Occasional Visitor

Post by syfe1 »

Awesome! Thank you!
Instagram: @jonelloh

Return to “Customized Member Projects”