Project "JFK Ride"

This forum is for those members who wish to post continuously updated threads on their Lincoln that is being customized beyond stock. Members who are restoring their cars to original, should use the regular Members' Projects forum.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Project "JFK Ride"

Post by bd94s10 »

brendanw I just noticed your comment. Too funny! Ok, so updates. I did take an extended break on the car. I was working on a couple other projects and hoarding/collecting vintage BMX bikes. Trans shop will begin rebuilding the C6 Monday. I dropped the Choppin Block shock mounts off at the powder coat place about a week ago with some other bike parts. Once I get those back I need to install them. I just went into a list I made a year ago and checked off a TON of stuff I had planned to go, which is always a great feeling.

My goal is to have the car running/driving by Slamfest Oct 15th/16th. At least driving off a trailer on its own power if I can't swing getting the all the exhaust ran etc. Slamfest is now in my backyard again (Tampa) so if I drive it to the Fairgrounds or Trailer it I'll be ok either way. Once the trans is back I'm going to stab it in and show the Devious Customs transmission crossmember in. This will allow the car to sit as low as possible since the trans x-member generally is holding the car up a tad. http://deviouscustoms.com/product/1961- ... member-kit

Once the trans is installed and the starter hooked back up I'll be able to get the motor cranked and the timing set. I'm also going to go with a Devious Customs fuel cell. My gas tank is SHOT! I thought it was ok but last time I was under the car I saw how bad it was and I'm tired of using all stuff. My buddy got his fuel cell from Jeff at Devious and of course its top notch: https://www.instagram.com/p/BVrmapwhcSM/

Much more to come! Don't forget to follow my Lincoln page on Instagram @LincolnAddict: https://www.instagram.com/lincolnaddict/

Jason
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

So I'm ticked off Photo Bucket made the change so all of my pics no longer show up here. Ugh. I've been working on my car but haven't posted much about it. My buddy also picked up a cherry 65 (I think its his 9th LC) sedan and we are getting ready to build it. We dropped it off tonight for the suspension to get installed. I'll post about it in a separate thread. Here is what I can think of I've done to mine recently:

-Bucket seat brackets removed and taken to one of the best around. They have been cleaned up and function perfectly now.
-Transmission totally wired brushed down and cleaned more so than when I got it back from rebuild. It should be going back in the car tomorrow night 10/3/17
-More powercoat dropped off and picked up (throttle linkage, transmission crossmember, etc.)
-New original gas tank (from a 68) sand blasted, powedrecoated and read for install (Tim Nill @ The Lincoln Ranch)
-Blew out & replaced cracked fuel lines
-More soldering completed for wiring
-Digital Dakota wiring brain mounted
-AC lines inside the car tightened down
-PST Steering linkage purchased (eBay) - seller pstbay

What I need to in the next 2 weeks:

-Intall fuel cell
-Install Mr. Gasket low PSI electric fuel pump (will use as a helper to the factory 3 port)
-Transmission installed
-Motor timing
-Run new rear brake lines
-Replace bad steering column pieces (my buddy just rebuilt his in the 65 in no time and its rock solid)
-Install steering column
-Order aluminum radiator (prob won't get done in a couple weeks LOL)
-Etc.

I make these lists for me to keep on track with the project.

Keep up with my project by following here:

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jfk_ride/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JFKRide/

Jason
Last edited by bd94s10 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Ok, so I'm going to use Flickr now. Here are some updated pics I mentioned in my post a few minutes ago:

Image459F52AF-95DD-418F-8E4A-95C2834EC7E0 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6119 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6118 by bd94s10, on Flickr

Note this pic the crossmember has some water on it so it looks greasy but its clean enough to eat off of:

ImageIMG_6117 by bd94s10, on Flickr

Had these sand blasted and I shot them with high temp paint:

ImageIMG_6114 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6099 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6097 by bd94s10, on Flickr

Before on bottom and after on top of the extra spare C6 I had and decided to use:

Image45261560-51C1-47E5-B917-7B710DF14451 by bd94s10, on Flickr

Helper fuel pump I'll be installing:

Image5881E260-BF5F-44FD-8A72-58C3D98089B0 by bd94s10, on Flickr

Bottom before/top after for the fuel tank:

ImageEFB8D53E-EF89-456F-8089-4E1874A0F9CA by bd94s10, on Flickr

Last time tightening down the fly wheel. Notice the powedercoat. I get a tad crazy with my OCD:

ImageIMG_6063 by bd94s10, on Flickr

Trans cleaned up great. I hit it more with the wire brush even once it came from from Race Ready Transmission:

ImageIMG_6058 by bd94s10, on Flickr

Linkage powdercoated:

ImageIMG_6053 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6049 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6048 by bd94s10, on Flickr

After on the left w/ the C6 trans cleaned up:

ImageBB3DEA29-8B69-4513-98C5-306EC294B109 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6040 by bd94s10, on Flickr
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

I forgot to mention I scored a super nice drivers mirror for $22. I'll still eventually get the other re-chromed. I'm still looking for a passenger side mirror. I have the general Ford one but I want the one w/ the molding. A friend of mine has 2 on cars that should really be parts cars (customer cars) but I'm still waiting for the call one day that I can buy one.

ImageIMG_5929 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5930 by bd94s10, on Flickr

Any leads on the unicorn passenger side mirror for my 67? Sorry had to ask LOL.
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Well although I've had the trans back in the car a couple of times in the past 5 years.... last night was finally the last time (hopefully). I've learned from my mistakes and took my time making sure everything was "good to go" prior to the install last night.

-borrowed a transmission jack from my friend whom helped me with the install
-powercoated cross member pieces laid out and ready to be installed after the transmission
-trans bolts cleaned up in a vise w/ wire brush
-flexplate installed
-misc nuts/bolts out laid
-two 5 ton jack stands from the front/two 1-2 ton stands for the rear axle
-car jacked up as high as it would go w/ my jack stands
-floor cleaned under the car for easy maneuvering of the trans jack
-tools readily laid out including: cordless drill, impact, sockets, ratchets, 90 degree drill, etc.
-led lights - my buddy brought his super nice Mac Tool lights

All I can say is the prep work made this install a breeze. Literally took no time at all for the transmission to be tighter down with a ratchet strap and maneuvered in place with the trans jack. Jacked it up and made light adjustments with the jack before it was nearly spot on to be installed. My buddy swears by lady foot pry bar tools. The set he had helped dial the trans in exactly where it needed to be. e.g .using the spear end to line up trans side of the bolt holes with the engine block side.

Last pic before it went in the car. I threw the powder coated inspection plate on to get a photo. I did take it off before I installed it LOL

ImageiARNXIsUSHmhkcDEylJyQQ by bd94s10, on Flickr

Image10C2ECF5-3A25-4BC5-AD5C-8093F859FAED by bd94s10, on Flickr

My buddy joking around with his JFK mask. This is Tony who owns the red 65.. which i started a thread on.

ImageIMG_6153 by bd94s10, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6155 by bd94s10, on Flickr

FYI. If you run the Digital Dakota gauges the speedometer sender has to be modified slightly. It will not seat correctly unless you do so. I don't have the Lincoln gauges for mine as I got my setup before they started offering them. But I called them and is the only way they make the C6 trans piece. The part that curves down needs to be trimmed down some.

Imagefullsizeoutput_4fd9 by bd94s10, on Flickr

Boom.. cleaned up, rebuilt & installed. What a good feeling it was to have the flex plate bolts torqued down and the motor turning over by hand with no issue(s)

ImagemRlnHELfSf2Xy%vKOL3q3A by bd94s10, on Flickr

The PST steering kit I recently mentioned came in and I opened the box last night. Since I now have the starter back on I'll get to installing the steering soon (easier to install starter with no steering). I'll post side by side of my old ratty steering vs. the new. Hope you guys enjoy reading these updates as much as I enjoying documenting / typing them up.

Jason ODB
burnski
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by burnski »

Tell Bolin his FedEx jacket gave him away!
Pat
Bagged 1964 Lincoln Continental
My Air Ride Install, My FiTech EFI Install
DetroitDeviant
Lincoln Maniac

Post by DetroitDeviant »

man you are killing it. Can't wait to go for a ride.
James -Detroit Deviant
Artist/Sculptor/fabricator/Solidworks Professional
1968 LC sedan
on Instagram:
spiral_design_works
echelon_design_works
james_clayman
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Haha thanks James! Glad I got the fender braces from you. Such top quality! I'll get them on this weekend. Everyone check out DetroitDeviant.com for more info on Lincoln parts he is making! It links you over to http://www.echelondesignworks.com/deviant-designs.html

Haha. Too funny burnski. Yep, that did it.

Return to “Customized Member Projects”