61 Continental Sedan Project finally started!!!

This forum is for those members who wish to post continuously updated threads on their Lincoln that is being customized beyond stock. Members who are restoring their cars to original, should use the regular Members' Projects forum.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

WVslabside

61 Continental Sedan Project finally started!!!

Post by WVslabside »

Hey guys! I've been reading on this forum for the past year but never registered. I have a 61 sedan that I bought a little over a year ago. I have loved these cars for quite a while, and when I had the opportunity to buy one, I couldn't pass it up.

The body seems to be pretty solid except, of course, the trunk lid. Interior wise, the seats are not original (70s I think) but the dash and trim seem to be all there. Engine is seized, and I've tried to get it to break loose.

I was in the middle of remodeling my house when I bought it, so it has been neglected for the past year. I've done lots of research and think I've finally decided the route that I want to go with this thing. This week I started really putting some work into it and i'm very excited.

I know that most of the guys on here are not in favor of trying to retrofit other engines, but my 430 is locked up and I think that my budget is more in favor modified plans than restoration.I've never been a restoration kind of guy anyway, but the interior and exterior will be as close to original as i can. I know that between me, my friends, and my family we have all the skills needed to do whatever I need to do.

I finally came up with something I like thanks to a couple of members on here. My plans as of now are quite similar to twistngo and drdvldog. I'm thinking of getting a whole '03+ crown vic, marquis, or town car then fitting the front suspension, steering, motor, transmission, and rear end. I'm very excited for the modern suspension! Not sure if I will totally emulate one of these guys or go my own route, but the ideas are the same. I think the diet should get my car close to the same weight as the panthers, which should make the 4.6 adequate. If possible, I think I just want to use the 4.6 temporarily. I'm crossing my fingers that a 5.4 will fit to get more low end torque and hp.

I've been working on getting the engine and transmission out and they should be out by tomorrow night. I definitely plan on listing all my parts that I am not going to use here first. I should have engine, trans, driveshaft, and all the front end engine components for sale pretty soon, but I really don't know what they are worth. I'm located in Kenna WV 25248.

Here's a list of parts that I know I'm gonna need:
seats (even only skeletons)
trunk lid
rear bumper corners
front inside bumper teeth? (not sure what you call em)
That's all I know of (for now) :)

I'm open to any and all suggestions or comments. Kinda flyin by the seat of my pants here :)

I'll post some pics just as soon as I remember how to on forums. :oops:

Chris
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: 61 Continental Sedan Project finally started!!!

Post by Suicidekid63 »

Chris, Here's an eBay link for a member who now produces fiberglass trunk lids. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-1962-Linco ... 67&vxp=mtr
You can try Alex Garcia aka: NewLincolnMan (on the forum) or Gary Peterson (314-402-6747) for your other parts. They may have what you need. :smt006
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
WVslabside

Post by WVslabside »

Thanks a lot! I had not yet saw those trunk lids. A little pricey for fiberglass, but they look great! I know everything is pricey for these cars. I'll definitely get in touch with these guys as soon as i have some money available.
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

Pricey, yes, but in stock. Original ones are pricey AND rare.It's better to have a fiberglass one, then nothing. :smt009
I'm not 100% positive a vert lid will work on a sedan, so maybe someone else can chime in. on that.
BTW- Here is the sellers forum post about the lids with his contact info. http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... 16&t=39985
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
WVslabside

Post by WVslabside »

Wow these things sure are a PITA to get the motor and transmission out. I'm getting close though. I think they are ready to separate as of now. I don't think I'll have time to work on her tomorrow, but saturday it's all coming out.
WVslabside

Post by WVslabside »

Here's pics from when I first got the car. Some of them before it even got home. The others are from the little bit of work I got to do last year, which was pretty much just stripping the interior to see what I had to work with underneath.

sykolincoln
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by sykolincoln »

I love those 61 fronts!! I would so totaly trade you my 62 grill and bumper for your 61 stuff!! :D
SUICIDE SLABS MAGAZINE!
http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... =8&t=50913
https://www.facebook.com/SuicideSlabsMagazine/
SUICIDE SLABS group on Facebook
Think your lincoln is a project? LOL! I got your project right here!
A CUTTING TORCH, A WELDER, A SAWZALL, AND A LINCOLN....ITS A BEAUTIFUL THING!

Return to “Customized Member Projects”