My 1963 Lincoln

This forum is for those members who wish to post continuously updated threads on their Lincoln that is being customized beyond stock. Members who are restoring their cars to original, should use the regular Members' Projects forum.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

crispix396
Lincoln Maniac

Re: My 1963 Lincoln

Post by crispix396 »

being a past rustoleum satin black guy, i may suggest two things to look into.

1: Plastidip. holds a good satin black (not "flat black") does not chalk up like rustoleum did. Rouighly 40$ for everything you need, waterproof (if your sanding down to the metal, and not doing proper primer after).

2: John Deer - BLitz black. your looking at 60$ for everything you need. holds a good 'flatter than satin' black, but still does not chalk up like rustoleum.

Every rustoleum job i have seen has ended up with banding, and chalks up after 3-6 months. I found that i could spray "tire shine" (like armorall but i bought it in a gallon from an auto detail shop) on my old wagon, and it would keep the car looking satin for about a week, roughly once a month kept it looking decent.
Because I forget to post it...
1962 Lincoln continental convertible
1995 Caprice wagon
crispix396
Lincoln Maniac

Post by crispix396 »

on another note, id really love to see a flat white lincoln. or any other flat color for that matter. Hotrod flatz make some neat metallic flats, id love to see that.
Because I forget to post it...
1962 Lincoln continental convertible
1995 Caprice wagon
1percenter
Occasional Visitor

Post by 1percenter »

crispix396 wrote:being a past rustoleum satin black guy, i may suggest two things to look into.

1: Plastidip. holds a good satin black (not "flat black") does not chalk up like rustoleum did. Rouighly 40$ for everything you need, waterproof (if your sanding down to the metal, and not doing proper primer after).

2: John Deer - BLitz black. your looking at 60$ for everything you need. holds a good 'flatter than satin' black, but still does not chalk up like rustoleum.

Every rustoleum job i have seen has ended up with banding, and chalks up after 3-6 months. I found that i could spray "tire shine" (like armorall but i bought it in a gallon from an auto detail shop) on my old wagon, and it would keep the car looking satin for about a week, roughly once a month kept it looking decent.

I initially was going to go with the restoleum paint job, but after getting all the equipment and supplies i went with some cheap Kirker hot rod satin black paint. Funny you mention the white, that was my second color choice.

Return to “Customized Member Projects”