64 in IA

This forum is for those members who wish to post continuously updated threads on their Lincoln that is being customized beyond stock. Members who are restoring their cars to original, should use the regular Members' Projects forum.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

IAsuicide

64 in IA

Post by IAsuicide »

Feb 10th I drove my 1971 m35a2 280 miles to pick this lincoln up. It was a 55 mph journey the whole way the truck got 11mpg.
First off I love big cars and old cars! I've wanted a lincoln since I was 12 when I first laid eyes on one and my Dad explained what suicide doors were.

So i found this car on Craigslist and emailed the guy asking if he was up for a trade and attached pictures of my truck. Shortly after I had a reply saying he was up for a trade and gave me his phone number. I called him to talk about the car and he was very upfront with everything which is nice. My biggest concern was Run, drives (280 miles) smokes and if floors were solid. Paint looked good from pictures but he said it was a quick job that looked like crap and he never got around to doing anything to change that. I didn't care about exterior really because I have some experience with body work and also have in my mind one of the best body man custom painters as a good friend to call to guide me. He said interior was very worn but not terrible and a blue color and again that didn't bother me I knew I could make it happen. Also said bring earplugs cause only one muffler is working and the other was cut off right under passenger seat. LOL

I have already stripped interior and started changing color. found 1 6x6 inch patch of rust starting so I cut a good chunk out just to make sure I don't have more issues later, most the trim emblems both bumpers the roof since all the paint was cracked , done 20 minutes of block sanding to see what I was up against

The look I am going for is all blacked out with red/black interior over dynamat, eventually mobsteel kit, with a few hints of chrome in certain areas. Bumpers will be black as well since my front needs some tweaking and I won't get it rechromed. 22 inch wheels leaning towards blacked out centerline steelies.

stock interior
replaced back paneling still need to black out wood grain but this is what I have so far

there will be more pictures to come as I go through this process.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU69WtrWvTI[/youtube]
Last edited by IAsuicide on Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: New guy with 64 in IA

Post by Suicidekid63 »

Great trade! It looks to be in good shape. The door panels look alot better. That exhaust is hilarious. :lol: The car sounds like a raging beast. :twisted: Keep the pix coming.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
ReijerLincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by ReijerLincoln »

Welcome to the forum. Hilarious exhaust tunes. Your neighbours must have loved it. :D

Hope the rust doesn't prove to be a further issue. How's the trunk lid? These are notoriously rusty... and it's hard to find a replacement.

Take your time browsing the forum for info, parts and how-to's. Check out the documentation section for electrical diagrams etc. Do get a Maintenance Manual and perhaps a Master Parts Catalogue (the latter is free in digital form after making a donation to the forum).

There are a few '64 & '65 sore spots you really should know about. Do a search for: timing set, 64 65 ammeter gauge, lower shift tube bushing. I'll summarize their potential for damage by the following : clunk, burn and crash.

Cheers,
Reijer
1964 Lincoln Continental sedan

http://bigfancycar.blogspot.nl/
IAsuicide

Post by IAsuicide »

Thanks guys

ReijerLincoln thanks for the info and what to look for. I'll make sure I check everything out. As far as rust goes what you see in the floor was the only problem I have already cut it out and will replace with new metal soon. The trunk lid is in perfect shape. The roof has been completely stripped and is going to survive.

The loudness doesn't bother my neighbors its actually quieter then most everything else I have around. haha
sykolincoln
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by sykolincoln »

What size are those knockoffs?
SUICIDE SLABS MAGAZINE!
http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... =8&t=50913
https://www.facebook.com/SuicideSlabsMagazine/
SUICIDE SLABS group on Facebook
Think your lincoln is a project? LOL! I got your project right here!
A CUTTING TORCH, A WELDER, A SAWZALL, AND A LINCOLN....ITS A BEAUTIFUL THING!
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

Welcome, and lots of luck with your new toy! Really be on the lookout for rust, there are plenty of spots that are prone to rust (dog legs, floor pans and check under the cross members of the trunk lid).

Stu
IAsuicide

Post by IAsuicide »

sykolincoln wrote:What size are those knockoffs?
15's
Stuart M. Cohen wrote:Welcome, and lots of luck with your new toy! Really be on the lookout for rust, there are plenty of spots that are prone to rust (dog legs, floor pans and check under the cross members of the trunk lid).

Stu
Thanks man I will look harder for rust in these area's
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

Nice ride! I think Sykolincoln is on the same page as I am... If you're going to sell the wire wheels on it now and he doesn't want them I would certainly be interested!

Good luck, it's already looking sharp!
Rob
IAsuicide

Post by IAsuicide »

66Lincoupe wrote:Nice ride! I think Sykolincoln is on the same page as I am... If you're going to sell the wire wheels on it now and he doesn't want them I would certainly be interested!

Good luck, it's already looking sharp!
I'm not in a big hurry to get rid of them since I need something to roll the car around while working on it. I haven't really taken the time to look over them closely but from what I can remember it seems like the chrome wasn't in the best of shape. I will take pictures tomorrow and post them. Eventually I will let them go, I do know they have lots of tread left on them and the rubber might as well go with them when I do decide to part. I will in fact consider skyolincoln to be the first one on the list and you following, its only fair.
stephenjha
Lincoln Maniac

Post by stephenjha »

What area of Iowa? I am in Des Moines. I can appreciate the exhaust on your ride. Before I upgraded my 64 to a SS exhaust I cut off both sides directly below the front seat. One trip around the block and I ordered my new exhaust.
64 LCC- Fiesta Red
64 LC - currently parting out
IAsuicide

Post by IAsuicide »

stephenjha wrote:What area of Iowa? I am in Des Moines. I can appreciate the exhaust on your ride. Before I upgraded my 64 to a SS exhaust I cut off both sides directly below the front seat. One trip around the block and I ordered my new exhaust.
Mason City, Take a video of your car and post it on youtube then send me a link. How does your exhaust sound now?
I see your parting out your 64, I would be interested in a couple trim pieces and maybe some other stuff depending on what you still have. Are you able to send pictures of your parts car?
IAsuicide

Post by IAsuicide »

Didn't get pictures of wheels today. I can tell you the chrome is flaking in spots and I have two sliced open fingers to prove it. Before I got down close I thought I would dust them off and found out they are sharper then any knife. Almost down to the bone.
stephenjha
Lincoln Maniac

Post by stephenjha »

I will grab a video of it the next warm day when I fire it up. The exhaust now is quiet and civilized. The 64 I was parting out is gone now, but I did save a lot of parts before I got rid of the shell. Just shoot me a PM with what you need.
64 LCC- Fiesta Red
64 LC - currently parting out
linconrod
Frequent Contributor

Post by linconrod »

Hey new guy with 64 in IA welcome to the forum. Congrats on finding a 64 conti sedan You will not have a problem finding answers to all your questions here at The Lincoln Forum. I bought my 66 conti sedan in May and found this forum shortly afterwords. Great bunch of Guys that will help and keep you going while you work on your ride. Its cool to find some one with a passion for the Slabside Lincoln so close to me "Im in chucktown IA" good luck on your car and cant wait to see what you do with it.
Last edited by linconrod on Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IAsuicide

Re: 64 in IA

Post by IAsuicide »

Lincolnrod- thanks for replying. I will get some pictures up soon of the progress. I have stripped all paint from the sails, roof, deck lid and hood. Block sanded the sides which still needs a little work before I get everything in epoxy. I'm thinking it may be in epoxy this weekend and I'll get some more pictures posted of the progress of things I've accomplished.

Return to “Customized Member Projects”