The SANEST 64 Project ever!

This forum is for those members who wish to post continuously updated threads on their Lincoln that is being customized beyond stock. Members who are restoring their cars to original, should use the regular Members' Projects forum.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Re: The SANEST 64 Project ever!

Post by darrylqmiller »

I like the power steering lines, that would really clean up the top of my engine. What type of fitting did you use to enter the reservoir?
cliffdavis
Lincoln Maniac

Post by cliffdavis »

All the power steering lines are DOT 100R5 hose, -6 size. All the ends are reusable 37deg fittings made specifically for the 100R5 hose. The hydroboost has its own return (technically not necessary but I like to make things harder) which is same hose & fittings except in -4.

The fittings I installed in the reservoir are generic AN/JIC bulkhead fittings. (I was too lazy to weld in 2 AN bungs, so now I have to make a new hold-down for the little internal filter, so it can sit off-center because the fittings are in the way) So everything on the car (pump, wipers, gearbox, booster) has an AN adapter screwed into it, and then I just built AN-AN hoses to connect everything. SIMPLE! <== oh god i'm funny

Some folks use -6 braided stainless line with the teflon liner , with crimp-on ends, and that works too, it's even a little cheaper. I picked the hose with the fabric cover because it looks a little more OEM. I used screw-together ends so I could build the hoses on my time, in my shop.
64 Continental Sedan
Daily Driver, Weekend Fixer
cliffdavis
Lincoln Maniac

Tiny Update

Post by cliffdavis »

I finally got tired of trying to make the stock p/s reservoir fit (and not leak) so I ditched it. I welded up a bracket for a JAZ reservoir. It'll do for now. Later in life, probably an aluminum res w/internal filter on the fenderwell.

I've split two wiper motors apart, by following the experts' advice on plumbing the hydraulics. The proper sequence is pump >> booster >> steering >> wiper motor >> reservoir. Expert opinion was the wiper motor should be before the steering, but with the wiper on the high side like that, gently locking the steering produces a pressure surge that bursts the wiper motor! The first time, I thought it was a fluke.
64 Continental Sedan
cliffdavis
Lincoln Maniac

Post by cliffdavis »

I've been daily-driving the Lincoln for a couple months, and the brakes are phenomenal. The '65 front disks, with Jon Leonard's rear kit, and a hydroboost and adjustable prop valve, is more 'brake' than this car could ever need. Pedal feel and modulation is beautiful. Repeated hi-speed panic stops produced nothing but grins.

My p/s pump is growling like a leopard in heat, so I guess that's the next project.
64 Continental Sedan
darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Post by darrylqmiller »

Thanks for keeping us updated. Glad the brakes are working and thanks for the info on the hoses. Sorry it took so long to reply, life and such. I agree with the hose color you selected, I have one stainless braided hose and it sticks out like a sore thumb. Can't wait till I can daily mine again, although i probably won't "daily" it cause of fuel cost and a 70 mile commute. Doing rust repair which is the no fun part but very minimal in my case.
Keep us updated on the power steering if you do something custom

Return to “Customized Member Projects”