1967 Lincoln Continental in St. Louis

This forum is for those members who wish to post continuously updated threads on their Lincoln that is being customized beyond stock. Members who are restoring their cars to original, should use the regular Members' Projects forum.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

smeeluv
Lincoln Maniac

Re: 1967 Lincoln Continental in St. Louis

Post by smeeluv »

Thanks man, yeah, that would make sense. Does the tranny circulate fluid to the converter or do I need to refill it before I put it back on the tranny? Update, I was able to remove the stripped nut and put it on the stand...except the stand isn't strong enough :( So I am trying to find a stronger stand...I am cheap but I think I found one on craigslist :) Anyways, the exhaust manifolds came right off. I was planning on painting those with some high temp paint. I was going to clean up the threads...is there anything else I can do for those? Then it looks like the air manifold is not coming off...any suggestions there would be great.
Lee
darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Post by darrylqmiller »

Goggle says some people say fill 1-2 qts, some say don't. I'd say 1-2 qts so you don't dry start it, not sure if it matters but why take a chance? Thanks for the reminder to check Craigslist, picking up a rebuilt motor this weekend but don't have anyway of getting it out of my truck when I get home. :lol: Need to find an engine hoist.
Not sure what you mean by air manifold?
Keep up the good work. Most of the time I'm over my head too but common sense and lots of Googling usually solve the problem.
smeeluv
Lincoln Maniac

Post by smeeluv »

Yeah man, you may have a tough time getting that engine out of your truck :) I meant intake manifold...hopefully a little wd40 will knock it loose. I thought I was over my head with the air ride and that went well. This is a little different though... You may be able to rent a hoist as well, just an idea.
Lee
smeeluv
Lincoln Maniac

Post by smeeluv »

Alright, found a stand on craigslist for 40 bucks and this thing is a beast, money well spent. I have the engine mounted and intake manifold removed.
012615.JPG
Putting everything back on to give it a good cleaning, trying to decide if I should get in and replace the lifters or not. After that I will paint and take some things to get powder coated.
Lee
smeeluv
Lincoln Maniac

Post by smeeluv »

Been on hold, waiting on parts to come back from powder coating. I hope to have some updates over the weekend, I plan to put the moon finned valve covers on, timing chain and oil pump.
Lee
darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Post by darrylqmiller »

Looking good man! I looked on Craigslist for a bit but never found a stand that seemed heavy duty enough. Good job!!
vashtsdaytona
Lincoln Maniac

Post by vashtsdaytona »

smeeluv wrote:Thanks man, yeah, that would make sense. Does the tranny circulate fluid to the converter or do I need to refill it before I put it back on the tranny? Update, I was able to remove the stripped nut and put it on the stand...except the stand isn't strong enough :( So I am trying to find a stronger stand...I am cheap but I think I found one on craigslist :) Anyways, the exhaust manifolds came right off. I was planning on painting those with some high temp paint. I was going to clean up the threads...is there anything else I can do for those? Then it looks like the air manifold is not coming off...any suggestions there would be great.

probably should have left the TQ converter to the trans. there is an access panel. you turn the motor over by hand to get to the 4 nuts then as you lift the engine a little prybar to separate the converter from flywheel.

the converter turns the front pump, pump circulates fluid. some fluid goes in converter, that's what makes its resistance inside with rpm so it will grab and car will go. realistically if there is some fluid in there it wont take but an moment for the pump to circulate where it needs to go. dry is a problem for sure, so a new converter should have fluid added. this way either or should be fine. if you fill the converter you will likely raise the oil level of the trans and have to drain some off. prob safer to leave it be run it to circulate, check level and add as needed.

also I would put the convert back in the trans before installing the motor. there are flats on the shaft they line up with flats in the front pump gear. also not a bad idea to replace the front pump seal just cause you are there now.
1969 Conti 4dr 460cid
darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Post by darrylqmiller »

Good advice, I'll use that too.
smeeluv
Lincoln Maniac

Post by smeeluv »

Finally got my parts back from powder coat and they turned out great. I started putting them back on the engine and hopefully get to painting the block this weekend!
IMG_0532.JPG
IMG_0533.JPG
Lee
darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Post by darrylqmiller »

OHHHH! AHHHHH! Pretty!
smeeluv
Lincoln Maniac

Post by smeeluv »

Thanks Darryl...hopefully I get to paint this weekend but with how my progress has gone, probably not. I do have a question regarding the exhaust manifold so if anyone can chime in, that would be great. Do I need to put the metal gasket back on? I have a new fiber gasket but wasn't sure if I needed to put both on.
Lee
smeeluv
Lincoln Maniac

Post by smeeluv »

Also, someone on here mentioned that you no longer need to put the power steering filter back in the reservoir? Is that true and if so, I guess I can jut put the top back on, the spring or anything needs to go back in the tank? Thanks again for any help.
Lee
smeeluv
Lincoln Maniac

Post by smeeluv »

Finally was able to get my moon eye covers on! The issue I had on the left side was the middle holes on the engine were an eigth or so in from the valve covers, the outside holes lined up fine after I drilled them a little bigger. The idea to use a c-clamp to pull the valve cover holes in popped into my head saturday morning while feeding my kid!! After I did that, I was able to tighten everything up. The right side fit perfectly again after drilling the holes a little bigger. So, the only thing I can think of is the one valve cover expanded a little bit or warped in the middle. Here's the progress so far. I painted the distributor, so it's ready to go in. I have off Friday from work so I am hopeful to get it all finished and ready to go. After that, I need to clean/paint the engine bay.
IMG_0548.JPG
IMG_0549.JPG
Lee
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

smeeluv wrote:Also, someone on here mentioned that you no longer need to put the power steering filter back in the reservoir? Is that true and if so, I guess I can jut put the top back on, the spring or anything needs to go back in the tank? Thanks again for any help.
Just the cover. You can leave out the spring and washers (plates??) that secured the filter.
Rob
66continentalefi
Occasional Visitor

Post by 66continentalefi »

Regarding the exhaust manifolds. I would definitely get them machined flat and use a good gasket. I went the gaskets from remflex. Great product. I love those moon valve covers!
66 continental 48000 miles homemade lowering blocks, msd ignition, electric fans and powerjection 3 EFI
94 towncar 158000 kms stock, big stereo, daily driver
05 aviator 172000 kms wifes dd my repair bill!

Return to “Customized Member Projects”