1967 Lincoln Continental in St. Louis

This forum is for those members who wish to post continuously updated threads on their Lincoln that is being customized beyond stock. Members who are restoring their cars to original, should use the regular Members' Projects forum.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Re: 1967 Lincoln Continental in St. Louis

Post by darrylqmiller »

smeeluv wrote:Darryl, the ride to work was awesome. It was the first on the highway with the air ride and it was really smooth. However, she didn't make it home on her own, water pump blew up. So, I got her towed back to the house and in the garage. Good news is that the engine still turns so I think I am good there. And this will just give me time to finish the stereo and trunk. Oh yeah, the EDC has to happen, it takes 5 minutes to fill my tank up right now! I want to be able to drop her at a stop light and pop her right back up.

Luda, your car is bad ass too! Your interior looks amazing, who did that for you?...that's on my list to do sometime soon.
Same thing happened to me. Got it transported across the country and starting driving around town just to have the water pump go out. Classique Cars has them for $199 with no core exchange but shipping is crazy, $50 but it was here in two days.

Davin24 if you go to the build topic for my car (in my sig) I have some pics of my EDC I think. My A/C didn't work so I just used the York that the cars come with. Feel free to PM me with questions and I'll try to help if I can.
smeeluv
Lincoln Maniac

Post by smeeluv »

I am going to do some checking around town to see if any locals can order one. Davin24, there's some info here: http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... 42#p343570 on building your own. I did find a site that had them already modified for around 200, if you want the link to that, let me know...I'll have to go digging!
Lee
smeeluv
Lincoln Maniac

Post by smeeluv »

So, I'm going to put the Lincoln on hold until I figure out what I want to do with it. I really have two options. There could be three but just installing a new water pump, timing kit and new kit for the power steering pump will be in the range of 500-600 when all said and done. Thats a lot especially since my engine has leaks all over the place. So first option is to have the current engine rebuilt as long as it was not damaged when the pump went out. Thought there is rebuild it, paint the engine purple with chrome and polished parts. My pinstripes and under glows are purple so it would look pretty good. Second option would be to put a newer engine in. It would have to be a ford and powerful enough. I have a buddy that does rebuilds for a living and he is a Ford guy so I am going to discuss things with him and see what's possible. If I go with the second option, I may just put a new water pump in just to get the Lincoln rolling again until I have the money to do the swap. I always thought it would be bad ass to put that Ford v10 in it...but that may be outside the price range. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Lee
twistngo
Frequent Contributor

Post by twistngo »

Did you get my PM about wanting the tunnel? If you want to keep the 462 I have a complete motor and tranny I would be willing to let go cheap and St. louis to Louisville is not a long trip, I am originally from St.Louis, Florissant actually, made the trip several times. The motor and tranny were gone through by the previous owner have reciepits and it is complete from carb to pan, a/c, starter and PS pump. Maybe this will help you out or you can have some spares.
66 Continental convertible, 13 SHO slightly tuned
02 Custom built softtail, 15 Expedition EL, 05 Thunderbird
00 Crown Vic Eaton M112 blower, Tremec 5speed......etc
Suzuki RF900 Just a little engine work...... And yes my wife is invisible
smeeluv
Lincoln Maniac

Post by smeeluv »

I sent you a PM...sorry for the late reply. I might be interested in the motor and tranny. Can you send a couple pics and what you think you would want for them. Thanks!
Lee
smeeluv
Lincoln Maniac

Post by smeeluv »

Just in time for winter, I ordered new water pump, timing chain kit and power steering pump seal kit. Also purchased some new gauges, the oil pressure and water temp ones I had were mechanical and I wanted to go electric. Once I get the engine fired up and gauges installed, I plan to start on the winter projects. I am going to do an engine driven compressor, finish the trunk, install speakers in the doors and maybe start cleaning up the engine bay!
Lee
smeeluv
Lincoln Maniac

Post by smeeluv »

Alright, I was able to tear down the front of the engine and get to the timing chain. Thinking about doing some other stuff while I am at it. I definitely want to paint the front while it is accessible. Going to powder coat some things as well.
112814 1.JPG
Lee
darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Post by darrylqmiller »

Looks like you got to that timing chain just in time!! Might want to check the oil pick up screen also for pieces clogging it.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Shit, there's almost no nylon left!
smeeluv
Lincoln Maniac

Post by smeeluv »

Yeah, I didn't really know what people were talking about when they said nylon timing chain. I was like, well, looks like the timing chain needed to be done :) So a couple questions. One, can I remove the oil pan without raising the engine? Two, Darryl, where is the oil pick up screen? Three, can I remove the oil filter adapter to clean it all up? Four, may be a dumb question but do I need to turn the engine to a certain point to put the new timing chain on? Or can I just remove the old and put the new on making sure the timing indicators are in the same spot? I would like to yank it out but I'm just not in a position to do that just yet...I don't know.
Lee
darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Post by darrylqmiller »

A lot is covered here on the timing chain and is a good read:
http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... =1&t=30449
I think you do have to raise the engine a bit to get the oil pan off, I haven't done it since my timing chain was in one piece. Oil pick up screen is mounted to the oil pump pick up inside the oil pan unfortunately. I have always turned the engine until the to dots line up, should be info on that in the thread I just pasted here, good luck!
smeeluv
Lincoln Maniac

Post by smeeluv »

Darryl, thanks for the info. So I am going to take the engine out. I think it's time, I have never liked showing people the engine just because it looks so bad. Me and a couple buddies are going to pull it next weekend. Here's what I am thinking at the moment, if anyone has other suggestions, I am all for them.
- Clean up engine bay and repaint it.
-Remove all the A/C components...I do not drive it enough right now to justify that expense.
-Take radiator to a shop to get it checked out.
-New electric radiator fan...probably do the daul fans if I can find something.
-As for engine, not sure on a total rebuild, do a compression test and go from there?? Replace gaskets, oil pump and rod, have heads checked.
-New carbeurator, the edlebrock 1406 most likely.
-New ignition set.
-I have an electric fuel pump so I am good there.
-edc compressor...no more waiting around :).
-paint engine and powdercoat what I can.

As for the color. The car is black with purple pinstripping, engine bay will be black. I was thinking about doing the engine in a dark purple color, then the powdercoating in gray. The carb will be silver which will match the moon valve covers. I was also thinking about doing the oil pan in a rhino liner type paint. Let me know what you guys think and if I missed anything.
Lee
darrylqmiller
Lincoln Maniac

Post by darrylqmiller »

wish I can do that right now, would love to redo my engine bay.
Search some of Dans posts, he has a great resource for engine bay detailing.
Keep the pictures coming.
smeeluv
Lincoln Maniac

Post by smeeluv »

Well, it finally happened! Took us about 4 hours to pull, a lot of that time was working on the exhaust, what a pita! And I also made a tired mistake and stripped one of the nuts on the freewheel so I still need to work on that and then I can get it on the stand and start removing things. Trying to be very organized with this but I know I will forget something. And I am probably over my head but if I take my time and use my resources than it should be fine.
IMG_0315.JPG
IMG_0314.JPG
One question I have...is there suppose to be tranny fluid in-between the tranny and engine? Pic explains it and may be a dumb question but someone mentioned to me that the area should be dry.
Lee
twistngo
Frequent Contributor

Post by twistngo »

Likely from you pulling the torque converter with the motor, some of the fluid came out of it when you tilted the motor to pull it.
66 Continental convertible, 13 SHO slightly tuned
02 Custom built softtail, 15 Expedition EL, 05 Thunderbird
00 Crown Vic Eaton M112 blower, Tremec 5speed......etc
Suzuki RF900 Just a little engine work...... And yes my wife is invisible

Return to “Customized Member Projects”