My coupe

This forum is for those members who wish to post continuously updated threads on their Lincoln that is being customized beyond stock. Members who are restoring their cars to original, should use the regular Members' Projects forum.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

ReijerLincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: My coupe

Post by ReijerLincoln »

Now that's a reminder.
1964 Lincoln Continental sedan

http://bigfancycar.blogspot.nl/
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

AC

Post by 66Lincoupe »

Well, I have my first big project planned. My A/C stopped working (it was a functioning R12 system) and in Arizona with a black on black car A/C is not a "don't really need" option. The compressor seized but I was half expecting something with the system to come up as I hadn't really done anything except check and top up the refrigerant and oil... Sooo I am going to go with the Sanden compressor R134a conversion. I have used the Sanden compressor 134a conversion on a couple classics I had here before and was more than pleased with the function.

As soon as parts arrive I will detail the build here.
Rob
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

No A/C yet, just enjoying the mild temperatures and perfect driving weather.
SunnyDay.jpg
SunnyDay.jpg (25.7 KiB) Viewed 1657 times
Rob
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

I would love to know the details when you finish your AC project. I have a functioning R12 system now, but it's getting low and needs an upgrade as well. South Texas is not much different than AZ as far as need goes - especially with the humidity on top of the heat.

I have considered a Vintage Air system, but if I can keep as much original as possible that would be my first choice. What all needs to be replaced? I know compressor and I suspect evaporator? Can that stuff just be updated but keep all the HVAC controls and everything as they are? Mine is a 64.
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

Chad Gasket wrote:I would love to know the details when you finish your AC project. I have a functioning R12 system now, but it's getting low and needs an upgrade as well. South Texas is not much different than AZ as far as need goes - especially with the humidity on top of the heat.

I have considered a Vintage Air system, but if I can keep as much original as possible that would be my first choice. What all needs to be replaced? I know compressor and I suspect evaporator? Can that stuff just be updated but keep all the HVAC controls and everything as they are? Mine is a 64.
"All" that needs to be changed is the compressor (the Sanden is more efficient), the receiver/dryer, and the expansion valve (TXV). Then while everything is apart the lines, evaporator and condenser need to be flushed. If you have the line with the big "muffler" it will need to be replaced with straight line. The Sanden doesn't produce the same pulses as the York compressor so it isn't as noisy and won't cause unwanted vibration through the lines so the "muffler" isn't required. With the Sanden you won't win points for originality so losing the weird parts of the system isn't a big deal in that area. All of the original controls will work the same as they do now. If your system works electrically then the swap is gravy - just exchanging parts (and adding appropriate oil and refrigerant).

I had a Sanden conversion on my '66 Cadillac and it was wonderful. Maybe not as cold as the R12, but it was cold enough to be comfortable here during monsoons and really nice on those 110 degree days.
Rob
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

We lived in Sierra Vista for 3 years. Well, actually we lived in a magnificent historic house on Fort Huachuca, and I remember the monsoons. Almost every afternoon a nice thunderstorm for a couple hours and then back to sunshine. Was beautiful there. Spent a lot of time hiking in the mountains right above our house and camping in the Chiricahua mountains (which I am sure I spelled wrong).
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

Sierra Vista is gorgeous. That is one of my retirement maybes. The Chiricahuas (you got it right!) are a great hiking destination with awesome views. I grew up in the Pacific Northwest - Tacoma, Washington. Then moved to Kingman after I graduated college. I bought a bunch of property with plans to have a cattle ranch. But my love of mechanical stuff and automobiles (and my degree is mechanical engineering) led me to Ford. All of Arizona is awesome. You can be skiing and a couple hours later hiking in shorts through Saguaro studded landscapes...
Rob
lowlifelinc
Occasional Visitor

Post by lowlifelinc »

I realized looking through your thread that I did the exact same "tooled leather" in my interior.
Attachments
10732343_10203895836309539_1206714913_o.jpg
10720765_10203895028489344_1056408406_o.jpg
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

lowlifelinc wrote:I realized looking through your thread that I did the exact same "tooled leather" in my interior.
The stuff is cool!!
Rob
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

Went to our first outing... A local parking lot show not a lot of cars and Frankenstein was the only Lincoln. That being said I have seen a lot of coupes popping up on enthusiast sites and Facebook. Maybe there will be a lot more.
FirstTimeOut.jpg
Rob
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

New tires - 235/75R15 with 1.48" whitewalls. The brand is Sierra. $440 with free shipping in the US.

The tires I had were 1.625" (1 5/8) Firestone FR721 but Firestone no longer makes them. Another choice was American Classic with a 1.625" whitewall but they were 220 each. And for a consumable that a tire store won't touch after six years that is a bit high for me...

The smaller whitewall isn't really that drastic (it's only .145" so the difference is minimal) and I am pleased with the quality. They also have a touring tread so they are very quiet. I put 130 miles on the car yesterday driving at nearly 90 degrees ambient and they seemed wonderful. Tire pressures stayed within reason for a tall tire (deflection causes heat so I generally increase pressure by a couple PSI in the desert so that deflection temperature rise is less of a factor) And the compound didn't seem to vary with temperature - I wasn't picking up stones like a soft compond tire would after reaching temp.

Overall and so far I am happy with them!
NewTires.jpg
Rob
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

Finally getting to the fun part. I like these little details. This will make the pinstripes pop once it's all said and done!
Before
Before
After
After
Rob
65desperado
Lincoln Maniac

Post by 65desperado »

Hi Rob,

I was just in Phoenix for a week for my daughter's wedding and while there we went to visit an Uncle who lives in Surprise. As a matter of fact we were in Surprise on Tuesday Mar 17 the day of your car show. Bummer, I just found out you live there or would have called you up.

Your 66 looks great, the weather was just starting to heat up when when we were there. My best guess is cruising season is October to March or it is too hot. Great to see Frankenstein on the road!

I actually just noticed this thread as a sub-thread of member projects. This has been hiding a lot of cool cars.
Wade
1965 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1965 Factory Five Cobra Roadster
1977 Ford F150 4x4 Shortbox, 1994 Ford F150 4x4 Shortbox, 2011 Silverado
My Thread in Member Projects
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

So close Wade! Next time be sure to send a note! Its been a bit warm but it has cooled down the last few days. Today is only in the mid 80s. We go all year, but the daytime stuff does shut down around April. Lucky thing is that so far south daytime is usually over around 8 or 9 so there is still a ton of time to cruise at dusk and into the early evening when it cools off. As a matter of fact tomorrow I am heading on a sunset drive in the White Tanks park by my house.
Rob
65desperado
Lincoln Maniac

Post by 65desperado »

Rob I need your expert opinion.

Last year I installed new rear leaf springs from Eaton at stock ride height. All went well. When I look at the old Lincoln ads from 65 even when new it appears that the rear is "sagging " or somewhat lower than the front, it could be an optical illusion. My car is the same way. It appears that the front springs have retained there strength and are holding up there end.

I want to the lower the front so that it has an ever so slight lower look than the rear.

After having done this yourself, in your opinion how much would I need to cut out of the front springs to achieve a slight bit of "rake".

Are your handling characteristics still the same with the cut springs?

Thanks,
Wade
1965 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1965 Factory Five Cobra Roadster
1977 Ford F150 4x4 Shortbox, 1994 Ford F150 4x4 Shortbox, 2011 Silverado
My Thread in Member Projects

Return to “Customized Member Projects”