secretaudio installation on a 66 sedan

This forum is for those members who wish to post continuously updated threads on their Lincoln that is being customized beyond stock. Members who are restoring their cars to original, should use the regular Members' Projects forum.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

gordon taylor
Occasional Visitor

secretaudio installation on a 66 sedan

Post by gordon taylor »

I am currently installing a SecretAudio am-fm stereo receiver with 10 CD changer in my 66 sedan. Has any anyone had experience with this? I replaced the rear speakers with very nice Kickers and the lone front speaker with a dual coil unit to help the separation in the front. The receiver will go under the glove box with the display unit inside the glove box. The CD unit will fit under the front seat on pass side with no interference with power seat function. Any body have other suggestions?? The whole point here is to upgrade the horrible original audio without changing dash appearance in any way. The original radio stays put. :grin: :grin:
JasonDexer
Frequent Contributor

Re: secretaudio installation on a 66 sedan

Post by JasonDexer »

IMO you would be better off using an ipod instead of the cd changer. physical media is on its way out. and you can get a good used ipod online for pretty cheap, if you dont have one.
Jason Dexter
International Man of Leisure

But then again I could be totally wrong
toddallen
TLFer for Life

Post by toddallen »

I would agree, I mounted a power amp hidden in the trunk and run an Ipod or MP3 player. Just have a cord and jack under your front seat and hook it up- take it with you so nobody will ever steal it.
1963 Linc Convertible
1963 Linc Vert parts car
1968 Mustang FB
2009 Cadillac CTS
BigJank
Frequent Contributor

Post by BigJank »

I also agree. I hid a cd player in my glove box and amps tucked away in my trunk. I have a cable that interfaces with my IPOD. Just about all head units have Ipod interfaces available. My am/8-track also works, which drives dual 3.5" speakers in a 4x10 adapter in my dash. That comes in handy when people ask if my 8-track works. :grin:
69lowlinc
Frequent Contributor

Post by 69lowlinc »

i agree use an ipod straight to an amp to the speakers dont even need the cd changer if your feeling crazy you can even use the 8 track still
Cut Throat Paint
Custom Paint and Design
http://www.myspace.com/mikepaintsstreetbikes
Rick Crunelle
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Rick Crunelle »

I installed a Secret Audio system in my 63 LCC. Since I don't have a/c, there was plenty of room under my dash to install the secret audio AND a 4 channel amp completely out of sight. I had a 10 cd changer with a similar set up on my previous ride, but I'm now using an ipod. Using the ipod is sooo much better. I keep the ipod and secret audio face plate all in the glove box so everything is completely out of view.
Rick

1963 LCC
Ballsdeep
Occasional Visitor

Post by Ballsdeep »

Anyone upgraded an original head unit with an iPod interface? Can this be done with an AM only setup?
62 Riviera Turquoise Convertible
Mitch925
Occasional Visitor

Post by Mitch925 »

So I put in two JL 6x9s in the rear but i am not happy with how they went in underneath the rear deck lid. Does anyone have any suggestions on putting the speakers on top of the deck lid with just the grills on the top, or a good way of mounting the speakers underneath the deck lid. maybe trimming the metal. I notice when i put in the speakers the trunk torsion bars where in the way of mounting the speakers under the stock speaker openings. Currently i have the speakers handing by 2 screws each and supported by the metal bracket underneath them.

Thanks,
Mitch
65 Hardtop

Return to “Customized Member Projects”