Do customizers want their own "Member Project" sub-forum?

This forum is for those members who wish to post continuously updated threads on their Lincoln that is being customized beyond stock. Members who are restoring their cars to original, should use the regular Members' Projects forum.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Solid
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Do customizers want their own "Member Project" sub-forum

Post by Solid »

Dan Szwarc wrote:History is something you learn by reading and studying. It doesn't just happen.

It's easier for those of us that lived it, I guess. 8-tracks, vinyl records, wax cylinder records, wire recorders, victrolas, and other media all predate our digital music players.

I've never seen a wax cylinder or a wire recorder or a victrola, but I know they exist. I also know that something will replace our fancy phones and cars some day. And I'll probably complain about it when it happens.
I saw this and it occurred to me that I can can glue Dan's comment to the modernizing sub thread. I have used a wax cylinder player, and a Victrola (though I do not have any of those at my home at the moment). I also currently have a reel to reel deck. I disassembled the reel to reel deck and then used the ancient and mystical art of electrical engineering to build in an Airport Express base station and a small amplifier so the reel to reel is really a wireless audio streaming device.

There are no permanent internal or external modifications to the deck (though I would have to unsolder a couple wires).

Edited to add: The status LED's and the analog volume knob potentiometer respectively are aligned with and fit through the existing cooling holes in the fiberboard back of the reel to reel deck. The factory smoked plastic dust cover is designed to hang on the back when you are playing a reel, so I have it hanging off the back and you can't see these controls or LED's unless you want to.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Do customizers want their own "Member Project" sub-forum

Post by Dan Szwarc »

This thread is a little off topic, but I'll allow it.

Now, please excuse me while I create sound by dragging a diamond needle into a groove made of vinyl for music to which I will crank start my Model T so I can drive to the post office to mail a letter paid made from dead trees, typed using ink transferred by impacting a metal object onto a fabric ribbon, and signed in cursive. Afterwards, I will observe a sequence of still images at a high rate of speed, printed on transparent Mylar media by projecting a light through it onto a wall.

Return to “Customized Member Projects”