Brake Drums for '49 Cosmo

This forum is for listing part numbers, substitutions, and suggestions for replacement or new parts for our Lincolns.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

swmddo
Frequent Contributor

Brake Drums for '49 Cosmo

Post by swmddo »

I ruined a rear brake drum on my '49 Cosmo, and have had no luck in finding another one, part 8L-1126. These are 12" inside diameter and 2" deep. Any direction to find one would be greatly appreciated.... :(

Thanks

Steve
"It's not a problem, it's a project"

Steve
Woodstock, GA
1949 Lincoln Cosmopolitan Town Sedan
CMP-Phil
Lincoln Maniac

Re: Brake Drums for '49 Cosmo

Post by CMP-Phil »

Hi Steve

If I remember correctly the brake parts like shoes maybe drums on the 49 Cosmopolitian were used on other cars and trucks. Junkyards used to have an interchange book that called out the cross uses.

Will do some digging in parts books to see if I can come up with anything.

Cheers Phil
Philip Waterman, New Hampshire
Cosmopolitan Town Sedan - Being restored1949 Lincoln web page
My Restoration Web Page
swmddo
Frequent Contributor

Post by swmddo »

Thanks, Phil. Never thought of that... :o

I will check around here for salvage yards and see what I can find.

Steve

Steve
Woodstock, GA
CMP-Phil
Lincoln Maniac

Post by CMP-Phil »

Hi Steve

Also there have been a couple of 49s being sold for parts on ebay over the last year's might be worth looking through who has been sell takeoff parts and sendin them an email asking if they have brake drums.

Cheers Phil
My Restoration Web Page
swmddo
Frequent Contributor

Post by swmddo »

Phil, I think I have a solution: since I am going to modify the front brakes for disc, I can use THOSE brake drums in the back (same size) but use the 2 1/2 inch shoes so they fit the inside better. Then with the disc brakes in front and bigger brakes in back, I can stop on a dime!

Steve

Steve
Woodstock, GA
CMP-Phil
Lincoln Maniac

Post by CMP-Phil »

Hi Steve

I think they have different part numbers but the difference may only be in the number not in the parts. Will look next week when I'm in the shop to see if there are obvious difference.

Keep me posted as you go forward on the front disk brakes I'm interested. From driving my Cosmopolitan as my regular car in the late 60s I felt it had pretty good brakes, it would lock all four wheels at any speed if you stood on the brakes. But that might just have been the tires of the day. Don't have any idea if it would do that now with modern radial tires. But I hope to find out.

Cheers Phil
My Restoration Web Page
swmddo
Frequent Contributor

Post by swmddo »

Hi Phil,

They do have different part numbers...1125 vs 1126, but the difference is almost indistinguishable. The front drums are obviously a bit deeper, but the axle hole, lug nut holes and diameter are all the same. I even tried fitting one of the rear axles with the drum...perfect fit.

I found a reasonably priced disc brake conversion kit for $ 460 with 10% discount (plus shipping I assume) at Jamco. It is specific for our car. It sure beats the $ 1400 or so wanted by some of the "usual suspects". I didn't want to get into the conversion that quickly, as it will mean, probably, replacing some tie rods, bushings, etc as I clean it all off, but the alternative was to buy TWO completely 'wrong' drums for the back (to keep them the same on both sides), which would have cost me over $100, so in the end, I may only spend $360 for the disc brakes.

Steve

Steve
Woodstock, GA