66 Coupe - Front coils too stiff/tall?

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

action
LCOC Regional Director

Re: 66 Coupe - Front coils too stiff/tall?

Post by action »

Dan Szwarc wrote:
action wrote:65 to 69 Continental had an insolator on the top and bottom of the front coil spring.

C1VV 5415 C for top
C3SZ 5415 A for bottom

After 1969 the bottom one was no longer used

Action
No insulator used in 1966 on the bottom. There's a pocket in the arm for the end of the coil.
That is what I thought too. And the 65-72 LM MPC Text shows a top and bottom spring insulator. (Sec 54 page1)
The part numbers are posted above.

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
essenz
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by essenz »

Thanks for all the feedback.

Dan - Yes...

I realize cutting a bit off the coil is risky, possibly not recommended, but I think its the best solution for me right now. My time is free, so I will start with cutting out a very small amount, and re-install, if I dont gain enought space, I'll repeat. I just need to get an extra 0.4-0.5" and then I'll be in a good place.

The next update is I finally got the lower control arm bolts out. I think I know the answer, but there is no OEM replacement for those correct? Mine are in rough shape, so I guess I can ping a usual suspect for a replacement, or maybe have a shop somewhere fab them?

The bolt itself isn't too bad, but the spacers are in really rough shape. I can probably find a machine shop to fabricate new spacers, it would be great if the frontend kits included them.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Only place I know to get LCA bolts is from parts cars. It's what I had to do on my sedan when I rebuilt the suspension a few years ago since I had to cut them to get them out.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

The part number for the bolt is 374543-S2
Does come with a bushing kit number C1VY 3048 A
Bad news is the application is only for 61 to 69 Lincoln Continental.

70 and later Continental and Mark III & IV use a Ford application part. Too bad the earlier Continental did not use a Ford part.

Action
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Found a seller. And it ain't cheap.

Made by Rare parts for $79+ + for one
https://shop.rareparts.com/search?year= ... ONTINENTAL
This link is for 1964 Lincoln and all Lincoln Continentals from 61 to 69 work.
The kit is down near the bottom of the page

Action
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

I think I remember getting a set of 4 bolts used with the couplers for around that same price.
Nick
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Before you get into the butchering I recommend at least trying to brush the threads clean, like with a Dremel and wire brush. That was what I did with Frankenstein's bolts, and I was able to remove them without having to chop anything and risk damaging something else. However, one of the bushings was so far gone that one control arm and its bolt were eating themselves up, forcing me to get replacements off an organ donor. But that's beside the point. My point is that, when I did that job, that was the first time those components were touched since the factory, 46 years. If yours had already been tampered with, which would have to be the case if the springs were replaced, it should be possible to unscrew the control arm. Not easy, but possible.

Try cleaning off the bolt threads as best you can, then hit the nut with penetrating oil, and try removing it. Because of the torque needed on that bolt it will not be easy, but it can be done. I would not recommend chopping anything except as a last resort when all other options have been tried without success.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

With original cars, especially ones that are not in the southern states, those bolts and couplers are rust-welded together. You can get the nut off usually, but no amount of hammering will remove the bolts.
Nick
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Well, I respectfully have to debate that; if it can be turned, it can be driven out. Now, will it come out with only enough force to drive a nail into a sheet of drywall? No. You need a bigger hammer and a lot more force to get it out, but it can and will come out. I still remember what the right bolt looked like when I got it out 9 years ago; you can only imagine the shock on my face when I saw a large groove cut into the bolt just by wear, as if somebody had tried putting a cutting wheel to it...and the other surface of the wear, in the control arm itself, so eaten away that I dared not think of re-using it. Yes, my bushings were in that bad a shape.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

action wrote:No insulator used in 1966 on the bottom. There's a pocket in the arm for the end of the coil.
That is what I thought too. And the 65-72 LM MPC Text shows a top and bottom spring insulator. (Sec 54 page1)
The part numbers are posted above.

Action[/quote]
The shop manual also shows extension plates for convertibles on the engine mounts in 1966. They were never used from 66 to 67.

Doug's car doesn't have lower spring pads and neither does mine. Neither has had suspension work done or ball joints. There's just no room for them.

If I ever go to another LCOC show, I'll check every 66-69 I see to confirm or deny the lower pads.
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I took the springs out of my '66, and put them in my "67, both cars had upper and lower insulators. The lower ones were very thin, unlike the thick upper ones, so space would not have been an issue. The lower ones were squished almost to the point they would fall out, this would be even worse if they had been oil soaked. It may be that they just didn't last very well. Removing the upper ones might solve the OP's ride height problem, without cutting, which would lead to a stiffer ride.
Edit; Also, my '67 conv. has motor mount extension plates.
Last edited by frasern on Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

TonyC wrote:Well, I respectfully have to debate that; if it can be turned, it can be driven out. Now, will it come out with only enough force to drive a nail into a sheet of drywall? No. You need a bigger hammer and a lot more force to get it out, but it can and will come out. I still remember what the right bolt looked like when I got it out 9 years ago; you can only imagine the shock on my face when I saw a large groove cut into the bolt just by wear, as if somebody had tried putting a cutting wheel to it...and the other surface of the wear, in the control arm itself, so eaten away that I dared not think of re-using it. Yes, my bushings were in that bad a shape.

---Tony
You can disagree all you want but the fact is those fuckers were not moving regardless of the amount of force that was put on them. Massive hammer with repeated blows….didn’t even phase it a bit.
Nick
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Well, I too have facts, which refute...and my suspension, aside from shock-absorber and lower-ball-joint swaps, was untouched for 46 years when I did that job. On the other hand, I do have to admit that I kinda-sorta "cheated" to reach my facts: I had the resources of the Fort Polk auto-skill center to fall back on, which made it possible to do. Granted, in a home garage, it may seem impossible; and I know the level of difficulty will vary from car to car, as no two cars have gone through exactly the same type and amount of use and abuse. Even with the auto-center's resources to back me up, that was a nightmare of a job, I'll admit, one I had no desire to repeat back then...and after my run-in with the Reaper a year-and-a-half ago, even less desire now.

Also, regarding the bit about insulators, I remember that Frankenstein's springs did have insulating rubbers on the bottoms of them. They were in very worn shape, but with no new ones on hand, I just put them back in place and still have them in place today.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

essenz
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by essenz »

Update... I eventually got the bolts out, in fact everything ultimately came out (3 days of PBlaster + an air hammer). I had all the parts sand blasted and powder coated. Almost all the new bushings are pressed in, getting ready to re-assemble but have one hitch/question.

The shop manual diagram for the suspension isn't great, the upper controls arms appear to go in one way only? Attached is a photo, the issue is that hole pictured should it be on the front bumper side or firewall side? Also, the upper ball joint is attache below the upper lip, right?

If anyone has a 66/67, and could peak inside the wheel well for me to confirm, Thanks!

IMG_2466.jpg
IMG_2467.jpg

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”