Clack/Squeak

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

jokerdanny

Clack/Squeak

Post by jokerdanny »

Howdy, I have a 1979 Lincoln Town Coupe (not a Mark), and there’s been a noise coming from the right front wheel area for years, probably more than 10 years. Sometimes it’s a squeak-squeak-squeak; sometimes it’s a clack-clack-clack. It hasn’t gotten any worse over the years though. The noise changes with the speed of the car – as I accelerate, the noise frequency increases, and as I slow it decreases in frequency. So it seems to have something to do with the rotation of the tire, but I can’t be sure. I’ve had numerous mechanics pull the wheel and look at the brakes with no luck. I even pulled the wire hub cap off thinking that might be it, but no luck there either. The noise is there with the brakes on or off. It seems not to matter if the car is cold or hot. And though the sound is almost always there once in a blue moon it doesn’t make any noise. Finally, I only hear it in-town; I’m guessing wind and road noise is drowning it out above 35 mph, but I can’t be sure. Any ideas folks?
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Clack/Squeak

Post by frasern »

It sounds like loose brake pads, but that should go away with a light brake. It could also be a stiff front u joint, not yet worn to the point of being loose, but on it's way out. That's a long way from the wheel, but sound can travel. Try starting in 2nd gear, and see if the spacing increases. Also, possible rear trans bushing, is the rear trans seal leaking?
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
thegermanfan
Lincoln Maniac

Post by thegermanfan »

I would suggest raising the wheel off the ground and spinning it by hand. Does it make a noise? If so, the wheel bearings need to be checked. Get wheel grease and new seals. Then remove brake disk and wheel bearings. Check for damage.
1974 Lincoln Mark IV -triple black-
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Debris between the wheel and the wheel cover? Wayne
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

^^^^^ Remove the wheel cover and drive it for a period

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

Check inside the cap for the wheel bearing. You may have a static suppressor spring that is bent. If you haven't rotated the tires, try that, you may have a wheel that needs attention.
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”