Installed new brake booster in my 1966

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

JCSLOCUM
Occasional Visitor

Installed new brake booster in my 1966

Post by JCSLOCUM »

Wow, what a JOB this was!! I bought a NOS booster to replace (obviously) the failed one on my "new to me" 1966 Continental. This was a very difficult job and really can't be done by one person. Luckily my daughter was home and she's an excellent mechanic, that is young and flexible enough to work under the dash for extended periods. The real issue was the movement of the pedal pivot bracket (sheet metal bracket) that moved out of alignment once the old booster was removed. This bracket made removal difficult as the sheet metal was hanging up on the threads of the booster. This meant significant prying was involved with some cursing thrown in here an there. The removal was hard but getting the new one back in was hours of prying, pulling and swearing. Lucky that Allie was able to get just enough leverage to move so that once bolt go thru the hole and that gave us enough of a purchase to then allow the other holes to be pushed into place. We spent about 3-1/2 hours doing what should have been a 1 hour job. The brakes need to be bled but I'm sure they will work perfectly now.
Allie Lincoln2.jpg
Jon

1966 Continental Convertible
Eastern Shore of MD
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Re: Installed new brake booster in my 1966

Post by rick »

Well JC, congrats on the new car and you're also darn lucky to have that kid as a daughter. Glad you managed to get the booster installed, everything we reasonably figure needs an hour's work but takes three just confirms that corollary of Murphys's Law. Namely - "Triple how much you think it will cost and then triple how long it will actually take to do it."
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Bleeding the brakes would be necessary if some fluid was lost. Usually replacing a booster that does not happen if the MC is still attached to the brake lines.

And bleeding the brake fluid every 5 to 10 years depending on location. I am goin to assume Eastern MD is high humidity for much of the year. If correct the fluid should be flushed out in 5 years.

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
JCSLOCUM
Occasional Visitor

Post by JCSLOCUM »

Thanks for the welcome and yeah, I'm very lucky that Allie is skilled and will come home on weekends to help her dad. Her she is sitting on "Abe" just before we dug into the booster.
Allie on Abe3 small.jpg
That's her Daily Driver, BMW M3 in the background.

I didn't think there was enough room in that spot leave the MC attached to the lines, in order to pull the booster. Will all of the pushing, shoving, and prying it took to get it into place, I think removing the MC was the best way to go. I did some bleeding last night for the front calipers but ran out of fluid. PIA that the front wheels have to come off to bleed them... I will have to pick some more up today and finish that up later.

I also changed out the steering drag link/center link last evening. The one in there was destroyed at the pitman arm! The ball was flopping around so bad, I'm surprised it didn't pop out while driving, which would have been a disaster. The shimmy above 30MPH was incredible and it felt like it was going to shake itself apart.

Next is a wash and wax for a car show this weekend.
Jon

1966 Continental Convertible
Eastern Shore of MD
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Good luck

You did the correct thing to bleed the system after disconnecting the MC.

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”