Power steering pump

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

ammiller83
Frequent Contributor

Power steering pump

Post by ammiller83 »

Is it easy to rebuild the power steering pump?
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Power steering pump

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Burnski has done it. But I think he's an expert.

https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... 7&p=377030

Here's a thread with some pics: https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... 6&p=361062

It looks "easy" but you need seal drivers and to be VERY careful.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I've recently done it, too, and picked up some valuable pointers. They're posted in other threads in this category; search them.

"Is it easy?" Well, it's easier than rebuilding a transmission, but it's not something just anyone can do without intrinsic tinkering skills, the corresponding chapter of the shop manual, and additional guidance from those who have done it. You can find the last bit from me in Greggory's "Power Steering" thread.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
George W
Lincoln Maniac

Post by George W »

If you do decide to rebuild/service your pump make sure that the pressed in nipple that connects to the fluid reservoir is tight in the pump body. Mine was loose and created a drip leak that was a nightmare necessitating taking everything apart and out again to be able to fix/seal the nipple joint into the pump body.
1965 Sedan, white w/ black vinyl top and red leather. 28k miles

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”