Rear Axle Brake Line Clips?

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

whitecastle
Dedicated Enthusiast

Rear Axle Brake Line Clips?

Post by whitecastle »

Hello folks!

When I installed my air suspension, I had to bend the brake line considerably to weld in the supports, and shave the facgory clips off the axle.
I'm going to replace the rear axel line, but looking for a simple, permenant solution (that doesnt' require welding) to secure the lines accross the axle once more.

Wondering if anyone has other suggestions, or even some shots of how your aftermarket/replacement lines are installed.

Thanks so much,
Steve
1965 Lincoln Continental 4 Dr Sedan - 2011 - Present - Mobsteel F/R - Accuair eLevel
1965 Lincoln Continental 4 Dr Sedan - 2011 - Stripped for parts
1964 Lincoln Continental 4 Dr Sedan - 1999 - Didn't run, couldn't fix, sold
whitecastle
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: Rear Axle Brake Line Clips?

Post by whitecastle »

frasern wrote:No experience with air susp., but I would be concerned with the brake hose being stretched or pinched. If you can't secure the tubes to the axle, have you thought about a custom length hose on each side, with the tubes on the underbody?
I would not drill and tap holes, due to potential leaks, and filings getting inside, so welding may be the only option otherwise.

Thanks Frasern! I already have a replacement flex hose which I will connect with the enough travel to accomodate the suspension. The old one was original and ended up leaking from the strain.

I hadn't thought about routing it on the underbody. I still has to go above the drive shaft thought, and tha seems like a lot more work then just finding a suitable clip for the rear axle.
Steve
1965 Lincoln Continental 4 Dr Sedan - 2011 - Present - Mobsteel F/R - Accuair eLevel
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Radiator hose clamps would work. They just do not look good for that situation.

Glad you didn't post Please Delete again.
It's not you.

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

When the clips rust out here it's usually plastic cable ties that go back on to hold them in place. I'd imagine the metal style would look better then both the plastic kind and hose clamps.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

I forgot about the stainless zip ties. I would not use the plastic ones as they degrade over time. A flapping brake line somewhat is upsetting.

In a different forum a user made insulated stainless zip ties .... They said ....
"I decided on a stainless zip tie. But to keep the sharp edge of the stainless from cutting into the hoses over time I used industrial grade PVC heat shrink. That stuff is really tough."

This was made to hold a paid of heater hoses together on a FE engine for a period before this owner got OE correct heater hose and plastic clips that attach to the inner fender.

The attachment is a word doc that has a pic of the finished installed stainless zip tie that is used as a temporary solution. In my opinion I would use this for a more permanent solution. But this user will spend $40K in restoration on a third gen LTD. That excludes the labor and initial costs. The finished product is incredible however the price paid exceeds market value by a lot. Technically a restomod because the finished engine will be a balanced FE engine that has electronic engine controls for both ignition and fuel injection. But I digress.

Action
Attachments
stainless zip tie.docx
(88.62 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
whitecastle
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by whitecastle »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am just surprized there isn't a more professional type off the shelf solution. I'll keep looking and report back.
Steve

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”