Power Steering Fluid 1977 Mark V

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

AyYjc201

Power Steering Fluid 1977 Mark V

Post by AyYjc201 »

I have been searching the internet and my books for a suitable power steering fluid to refill my reservoir after a complete flush. Several other online forums as well as my MOTOR lubrication reference book call for type F transmission fluid. My owners manual states this: "Use only a fluid that meets Ford Specification ESW-M2C128-D, such as Ford Power Steering Fluid. This is NOT the same fluid that is used in the automatic transmission." That rules out DEXRON/MERCON, but I'm still not sure if I need type F or a dedicated power steering fluid. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I hate to be unsure about anything I pour in my car.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Power Steering Fluid 1977 Mark V

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Subject: Power steering fluid for "77 Continental
Dan Szwarc wrote:Sorry I for my non-answer. I was at work and not near my Lincoln. :smt010

Look for fluid that says "meets Ford M2C128C or D". That's the Ford spec that the fluid must meet. I use Valvoline Syn-Power Power Steering Fluid. Well, I use it because that's all I could find in a name brand.
ValvoinePSF.png
http://www.valvoline.com/products/consu ... g-fluid/29

Don't buy anything that says "Compatible with ALL power steering fluids". That means is mostly wax-filled oil which is crap.

Edit: apparently, they don't make it anymore. Post edited. Picture changed.
Start by looking at what’s on the shelf at your local store.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Looks like overthinking of something that does not require overthinking, especially if your car's steering system is still all-factory-stock. I say ditch all the ambiguous sources and go with the one definitive source you have: Your owner's manual. Make note of the spec the fluid should be, and stick to that. Check parts stores, not strictly Wal-Mart or the local dollar stores. If you find the right fluid in one of those places, great; but if you don't, don't overthink about alternatives. Look for the right fluid. It has to be out there; a '77 Ford product of any marque is easier to maintain than a '60s Lincoln.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
AyYjc201

Post by AyYjc201 »

TonyC wrote:Looks like overthinking of something that does not require overthinking
---Tony
I think you're right. I've a bad habit of this when it comes to cars. The only things I'm not conscientious about are my washer fluid and dumb plastic clips :D

Thanks for the advice. I'll be on the hunt tomorrow.
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

What's in the owner's manual? Type F!?

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Power Steering Fluid 1977 Mar

Post by Dan Szwarc »

action wrote:What's in the owner's manual? Type F!?

Action
No. Not Type F. Definitely not.
It is a new, untrademarked M2C128-C or D fluid. Type F was last used as PS fluid in 1976, I do believe.

Here’s one from Rock Auto: Mag PS fluid
Meets requirements for Chrysler MS-5931, Ford ESW-M2C128-C or -D, and GM 9985010
Not 100% sure if those three specs are equivalent.

Here’s autozone: Autozone PS Fluid
It cited the same three specs, so there’s at least some confidence that it might be true.

Check the big automotive supplier chains. They tend to have better choices. Amazon was filled with crap.

I guess I’m glad I don’t have my 77 anymore, because that’s what it used, I probably still have a quart or two on the shelf.

I feel OP’s pain. The fluid mfgrs lie about compatibility by saying replaces or compatible with all or “most” power steering fluids without citing specs. Do not buy anything generic as it’s probably for modern cars. 77 is not modern by today’s standards.
AyYjc201

Post by AyYjc201 »

@ Dan Szwarc I agree with you. I don't trust "universal" fluids as a general rule, unless my spec is listed. I looked around and found a Sta-Lube power steering fluid (https://www.crcindustries.com/products/ ... l2633.html) that lists my spec. I had the gentleman at NAPA order me some this morning and I'll get it later today. It's exciting, just a few loose ends to tie up and this week my Lincoln will be hitting the road for the first time since 1989!
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I’m not convinced that labeling is right. It says “89 and newer” but lists the old specs. The description say “for 89 and older use’ blah blah blah.

Double check the listing.

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”