lower ball joints

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

lower ball joints

Post by tomo »

Here is a post about USA made lower ball joints. The OP says that he cannot register on this site, so I am providing a link to his post to help anyone that needs these.

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/355253-19 ... nt-2157006
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: lower ball joints

Post by TonyC »

O wow! I have actually been pondering buying a set myself, just to have them on hand for when it's necessary. Since it's been nearly 15 years and over 250k miles since I replaced Frankenstein's lower ball joints, and those replacements were used from an organ donor, I think the time for a next replacement may be nigh. However, I'd need to know in advance how much he's asking for them; I'd prefer to avoid the embarrassing awkwardness of being caught with a price that may be too high for me.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

Tony, you won't know what he wants for them until you ask him. If his price is too high for you, thank him and go looking for them somewhere else. He says that he does not need the 2020 full retail price.
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

tomo wrote:Here is a post about USA made lower ball joints. The OP says that he cannot register on this site, so I am providing a link to his post to help anyone that needs these.

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/355253-19 ... nt-2157006

Tell him to use a computer. The anti-spambot measures don’t allow for registration from iOS devices or touch tablets. No idea when this will be supported.
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

tomo wrote:Tony, you won't know what he wants for them until you ask him. If his price is too high for you, thank him and go looking for them somewhere else. He says that he does not need the 2020 full retail price.
These joints retail for $100/$200 for a US made Rare Parts (Via Auto Zone or OReillys) to $50 or a little less for a Moog ball joint on Ebay. Or under $30 on Amazon for a Moog K901 as referenced by the seller.
https://www.amazon.com/Moog-K9011-Ball- ... B000C560FC

NOS or a Ford branded joints (actually made by a vendor and not Ford) are no long available. So there is not a 2020 retail price for a NOS Ford part.
The seller claims these are TRW joints. TRW the company was purchased by a ZF Friedrichshafen a German Company 2015. Which would mean retail pricing from TRW stopped at least 5 years ago if not earlier.

The seller makes statements that many "need" these and out of 30 people that have looked should have called his phone number. And the joints are "beautiful in the blue boxes ++ N.O.S. ++"
Then there is a lack of transparency -
No asking price is listed
No pictures of the joints that would be beautiful in the blue boxes
No ratings (like ebay) on how this seller operates
And this sale would have NO warranty and may be no returns at all

Personally I would rather get a brand new ball joint with a warranty. With potentially better metal/rubber and grease. A company like Amazon, I have a lot of trust.
And this is the internet. How this virtual seller presents an item for sale is important. What has been posted so far, I get a bad feeling.
If I was face to face I can get to know more about how sincere the seller is and are these the real deal or am I being conned.

Which may speak volumes as to why this seller is not getting and traffic on this item.

Action
Last edited by action on Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

Action - I agree. The details offered by the seller are "lite".

Just for reference, when I replaced the front-end components on my '63 in 2018, I paid around $125 per lower ball joint for ones from Rare Parts. I think they have edged up a bit in price since then.
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Action wrote out my concerns better than I could have; he's exactly right on all accounts. Unless or until I got better info on what the seller is selling, I might stick to the E-Bay link that I have on my watch list. I'm not buying yet from either source, so that gives that one seller a chance to elaborate somehow; like Dan said, there are many ways he can do this, even if it's on the site he originally posted. One of the Top-3 "Buyer Beware" rules is to be reserved when no price is listed.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”