Rim size. Lincoln MKS.

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

lkmboogie

Rim size. Lincoln MKS.

Post by lkmboogie »

I have a 2001 Town car and it's stating to show it's age, so I need to move on. I love the "land yacht" feeling of my old Town Car.

Test drove a MKC, MKX (SUV style), and MKZ (Sedan). I liked the MKZ and found out that there is an MKS that is larger and has a softer ride, So now I'm looking at a used MKS. The stock rims on a MKS are 19-20'. If I buy the car, I will constantly have it in comfort mode.

My question............

How much of a difference would smaller rims make my ride softer? Or should I just keep the rims and get bigger tires?

If smaller rims and bigger tires create a softer ride, what are the smallest "regular" rims and largest tires available?
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Rim size. Lincoln MKS.

Post by Steve K »

My wife drove a 2012 MKS for 5 years on stock wheels and tires. The ride quality was excellent. I would suggest to you that if you buy the MKS you leave the wheels and tires stock. The car was designed for them and I doubt you will improve things by changing things up.
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

+1
If changing the exterior diameter of the tires will impact a number of other things
Speedometer
Speed control
PCM
Maintenance minders

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
lkmboogie

Post by lkmboogie »

Thank you both for the good advice. I won't mess with the wheel size.

With the more research that I've been doing, I'm leaning toward the MKS.
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Speaking of wheel size, I got myself into some covid reading the other day and got out some of my brother's old CC mags. In an early 80's one there was an argument going on about wheel size on 63's. One person was arguing that late 63's had 15" wheels, and that he had wheel covers of identical appearance in both 14 and 15 inch sizes to prove it. My 63 was built in February, so it doesn't exactly apply for late status, but it is certainly not early either. It had 14 inch wheels from the factory like every other 63 I have ever seen Anyone ever heard of this? I've been in the LCOC since 1995, and I've never heard it. Wayne

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”