Jack Points for 1978 Lincoln Continental

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

jakescervino
Occasional Visitor

Jack Points for 1978 Lincoln Continental

Post by jakescervino »

I am trying to put my lincoln on 4 jack stands to prepare for the winter, but I don't know where the safe points are to jack it up. I tried jacking it up from the side of the frame, but the chrome trim started to snap off so I immediately lowered the car back onto the ground.
IMG_3545.jpg
This might be a stupid post, but this is my first "classic" car and I really don't want to cause any unnecessary damage to it. I tried looking in my Haynes manual and online but I can't find any helpful information. I don't usually care this much about where to jack up a normal car, but this is not a normal car when it comes to size and weight.
action
LCOC Regional Director

Re: Jack Points for 1978 Lincoln Continental

Post by action »

The points to lift may be on a sticker under the deck lid or in the owner's manual.

The frame (not the body panel) just in front of the rear wheels and just behind the front wheels will have reinforced areas. Placing jack stands there should be good.

As far as the Haynes manual, keep it to block the tires when jack it up so the vehicle does roll. If you want useful data in all aspects of repair, get the factory shop manual set. It is better than guessing with haynes, chilton or motors manuals

CD version
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-Ford-Linc ... SwgyJeYn6m
Hard copy version
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-FORD-LINC ... SwSXFdxvdk

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
sauceman
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by sauceman »

Asking questions is better than messing things up.

These cars are body-on-frame construction. The frame or chassis sits inboard of the body. What you see from the outside is the shell, not the frame. Under any circumstances do you want to jack the car up on the body. What you have done is tried to lift it up on the rocker panel, while this is acceptable on modern unit-body cars, you're gonna do damage on these if you do that.

Here's a pic from underneath showing where everything is located.
frame.jpg

another frame pic
100_4086.JPG

cheers
Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgement.

Yugoslavia '94' , Israel/Syria '99 , Bosnia '02 , Afghanistan '08-'09

My 1977 Town Car build
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

Like sauceman's picture shows anywhere on either end of the frame is acceptable. Since the trim was popping you didn't have the jack far enough in and were on the rocker panel. Even on a newer car that can be damaging if not jacked in the right spot. So many cars have their pinch welds crushed from that.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
jakescervino
Occasional Visitor

Post by jakescervino »

Thank you all for your replies. Judging by the undercarriage photo, it looks like I was jacking my Lincoln up correctly. Although it may seem like I was jacking the car up from the rocker panel, I am absolutely certain I was not jacking it up from there (that is why I was so confused why the chrome trim popped off and made me write a post on this forum). I probably should've included this information in my initial question, but that specific part of the chrome trim frequently pops off from regular driving and it easily pops back into place (I wish I knew how to fix it permanently, but it's not a big deal).
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

jakescervino wrote: I probably should've included this information in my initial question, but that specific part of the chrome trim frequently pops off from regular driving and it easily pops back into place (I wish I knew how to fix it permanently, but it's not a big deal).
The chrome rocker trim is likely held on by plastic retainer clips. If yes likely the clips are worn. When the body of the vehicle flexes some the chrome trim pops off as it is less tolerant to flexing. When lifting the vehicle the body can flex. Especially if it is lifted NOT using a 4 arm hoist. It is all good if the vehicle is not moving. Clip replacement may be needed to resolve.

Action
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

The trim is likely bowed a little. The clips aren't meant to be removed and installed multiple times, too. Plus, they probably shrunk a little in 42 years.

You can also put a little RTV onto the inside of the trim as filler, let it cure, mostly, then reinstall.
jakescervino
Occasional Visitor

Post by jakescervino »

In regards to the body flexing, am I doing more harm than good by lifting it every winter and taking the car on/off jack stands? I just thought it would be a good idea in order to save the ww tires from developing flat spots and allowing more airflow under the car while covered. As for the retainer clips, I think on my car they are metal ones, but I will have to double-check to make sure of that. If so, will I still able to find metal replacement clips? Dan is saying the clips aren't meant to be removed and installed multiple times, so maybe I will just leave it alone unless it is becoming more of a constant issue "down the road" (pun intended).
Last edited by jakescervino on Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

jakescervino wrote: In regards to the body flexing, am I doing more harm than good by lifting it every winter and taking the car on/off jack stands? I just thought it would be a good idea in order to save the ww tires from developing flat spots and allowing more airflow under the car while covered.
Not exactly. The body flexes when you drive it. That happens driving into a driveway and other inclines. Or uneven surfaces.

Action
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

I've never bothered putting cars on stands for storage. Flat spotting tires isn't much of an issue just make sure they're properly inflated.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Mike said pretty much what I was going to say. If it's just for a season, there's really no need to jack the car up and set it on stands. The tires will not get flat spots with only a season of storage. Now, if you were storing that car away for several years, as opposed to just a season, then maybe suspending it might be in order...but I had Frankenstein stored outside on the ground for three years while I was in Germany, with only a two-week interim run after the first 20 months, and had no new issues regarding his tires or suspension...and Frankenstein is a good 500 pounds heavier than any '78.

Now, about jack points, just consult your owner's manual or the reference decal that should be on the inside of the trunk lid. Cars of that decade could be jacked up in different spots that new cars today could never handle.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

I just park my car for the winter, too, nothing done especially to prep it for storage, just drive it into the garage. It is now in the garage breathing the fine scent of mothballs. I didn't think of it this year, but sometimes when I do think of it I put about 5 lbs of extra air in the tires. We have long, cold winters here, and when I want to get it out in the spring, who wants to check tire pressure? I just want to ride! Wayne
jakescervino
Occasional Visitor

Post by jakescervino »

I already put my car on 4 jack stands and I just saw all of your replies now. I'm already having second thoughts about putting it on jack stands. First of all, the chrome trim I mentioned in the question looks a lot worse now that the car is jacked up and will no longer even snap back into place.
IMG_3563.jpg
Also, the bottom of the door is slightly off alignment compared to when the car was on the ground. Is it okay for the body to flex slightly? (I didn't take a picture of the door)

Lastly, the rear tires are still touching the ground even though they have been raised even higher than the front of the car (the jack couldn't lift any higher). The car only touches on one arm instead of both arms on one of the rear jack stands (first picture below):
IMG_3560.jpg
IMG_3562.jpg
IMG_3561.jpg
IMG_3559.jpg
Let me know if you guys think the jack stands look like they are in good places. I think I should listen to your guys' advice and take the car off of the jack stands, but tell me what you think from looking at the photos above.
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

jakescervino wrote: I already put my car on 4 jack stands and I just saw all of your replies now. I'm already having second thoughts about putting it on jack stands. First of all, the chrome trim I mentioned in the question looks a lot worse now that the car is jacked up and will no longer even snap back into place.
That is because the front and back of the car hanging beyond the jack stand mounting point is causing the vehicle to bow up in the center. And is sagging on either end.

jakescervino wrote: Let me know if you guys think the jack stands look like they are in good places. I think I should listen to your guys' advice and take the car off of the jack stands, but tell me what you think from looking at the photos above.
I would reposition the stands much closer to the tires/wheels. Or as close to the tires and wheels as possible. The point that you have selected is not the strongest point on the frame. At least i the last picture. Or put the stands under the rear axle and under the front control arms.

In addition I would turn the stands 90 degrees. The mount point of the stands should be at a 90 degree angle to the frame.

And I don't store my ride on stands. (Except one of them)

Action
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

The front stands look like they're in an ok spot but under the axle and control arms are better.
I was going to say the same thing that usually you'd have the frame or axle across the top of the stand not lined up with it.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”