63 Continental brake and fuel hoses

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

ews
Occasional Visitor

63 Continental brake and fuel hoses

Post by ews »

Hi,
the two fuel tubes and the brake tube running along the sill and behind the front wheel they ate going up 90 degrees.
In this corner there is a protective shield over the three tubes and unfortunately there is a lot of dust and dirt behind.
The tubes don’t look too well and I want to stop that.
Silly idea: fill the room with grease so no dirt can settle there.
Any comments?
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 63 Continental brake and fuel hoses

Post by papawayne »

Back in the old days folks used to fill every cavity they could find with used motor oil, tp prevent rust. You would need a heck of a lot of grease. Personally, I'd live with it. Clean it out every couple of years. You'll eventually need to get in there anyway. Wayne
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Take the shield down and clean it out. Inspect the lines while you have it off. Grease is just going to attract more dirt, stones, road grime, etc.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
ews
Occasional Visitor

Post by ews »

Thanks a lot. My thoughts were if there is grease in there there is no room for dirt. Thanks for the answers, I'll clean it every 50 years...
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

Mine was never off before and wasn't too bad behind there. If you're worried seal off any holes or gaps near the top of the panel and that will stop some of the stuff from getting in there.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

Hi Ews,

Like Mike, my 1961 Lincoln's firewall area under the shield was pretty clean when I removed the shields in order to access the vacuum hose manifold that is located on the firewall (drivers side).

But my shield's still had that leather-like padding (believe it's termed "Trim Welt" but I could be wrong) around the perimeter of the shields.

That "trim welt" on my shields did a pretty good job of protecting the inner firewall area. Steele Rubber may sell it. Also, maybe you can duplicate it.

Rick
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”