1976 Mark IV hydroboost

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

kdtbird
Occasional Visitor

1976 Mark IV hydroboost

Post by kdtbird »

My hydroboost has started leaking and I would appreciate your input. The only thing I have seen readily available is a rebuilt unit from Cardone. I prefer to avoid Cardone if possible. Centrix rebuilts seem to be unavailable now. Can anyone recommend a rebuilder or know of anyone producing new units? I found Power Brake exchange but they are in California and I am in Florida. Shipping would probably be expensive. As always, price is a factor, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Thanks
Kurt Thompson
kdtbird
Occasional Visitor

Re: 1976 Mark IV hydroboost

Post by kdtbird »

Has anyone replaced the hydroboost on a Mark IV? How do you get to the bolts without removing the dash? I can only get to the two lower bolts after removing the instrument cluster. I can't even touch the upper bolts. HELP!
kdtbird
Occasional Visitor

Post by kdtbird »

Well, I had to take out the seat, instrument cluster and radio to get to the two bolts over the steering column. The other two can be reached from under the dash. It is a really crappy and time consuming job. Glad I took it out. It was starting to leak into the passenger compartment as well. I will be sending the hydroboost and steering gear to Power brake exchange to be rebuilt.
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

This whole affair has been a total pain in the butt for you, kdtbird. Glad you got it all disassembled and out. Still more work involved putting Humpty back together, but at least you're ahead of the game and know the details now.

Rick
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”