1967 Lincoln tilt column rebuild

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: 1967 Lincoln tilt column rebuild

Post by TonyC »

My pleasure to help out where I can, Nick :smt023 . Here's hoping that the third problem won't be an ordeal to fix. It's rather odd that the tension spring would fail; my tilt column has never been disassembled, and its spring is still fine. On the other hand, there's no telling what your column's history is like, and how much abuse the original components went through.

And if you need a bit more clarification on the parking brake diagnosis when you get to that, just let me know.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Tony, do you have a spring between your column and steering wheel? My tilt column came with one and also shows in the MPC, but I don’t remember my fixed column having that spring. Service manual references the spring with a shipping spacer in some cases, but I’m not sure if this is supposed to be used in normal circumstances.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Yes, Nick, mine does have a spring in that spot. I'm not really sure the purpose it serves, but it's always been there, so I make sure it stays there. I pulled my column off an organ donor, so I'm sure that spring has to serve a purpose. When I have to remove the steering wheel to fiddle with the wiring at the T/S switch, I admit it somewhat helps to pop it off without involving a special puller. I know that can't be the purpose, though.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
UglyViking
Occasional Visitor

Post by UglyViking »

Hey Nick,

I noticed in the beginning you mentioned "The 1966 Continentals had a GM-sourced "Saginaw" tilt column", well my 66 has a tilt wheel and a broken turn signal selector (I've not had the chance to pull the wheel to verify yet but there was a distinctive sound of broken plastic, followed by non functioning signals, crunching position noises and lastly broken dreams).

Do you know what turn signal switch would fit? I've scoured the books, rock auto, lincoln land, and others and have yet to find an answer as of which part to buy.
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

This is not the switch but is the actuator in there

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154427579586?h ... SwO-Rdr4tG

I too have a '66 with tilt. Nothing wrong with the column. (Yet) After reading this thread I found this. The listed price as prevented me (and others based on results) from pulling the trigger.

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Viking, glad to hear you're an insider now, good luck with the new project.
those columns are entirely different, '66 has the switch at the base, sort of delta shaped, 6 terminal, on a stand. There is a mechanical part, at the top, where the arm turns a shaft, which has a spring, and two locking pawls, that spring can pop out of place, which sounds like what you describe. you may only need to remove the wheel, and reassemble the spring. If you find you need parts, I have em!
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
UglyViking
Occasional Visitor

Post by UglyViking »

frasern wrote:Viking, glad to hear you're an insider now, good luck with the new project.
those columns are entirely different, '66 has the switch at the base, sort of delta shaped, 6 terminal, on a stand. There is a mechanical part, at the top, where the arm turns a shaft, which has a spring, and two locking pawls, that spring can pop out of place, which sounds like what you describe. you may only need to remove the wheel, and reassemble the spring. If you find you need parts, I have em!
AH! I will keep my fingers crossed that it's as simple as that. I am currently out of town visiting family but when I return I'll pull apart the steering wheel and keep my fingers crossed it's just a spring that has become disconnected. I also noticed that my horn didn't work, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's either been disconnected or is a simple contact/ground issue.

Thanks for the help, I'll follow up with you if it turns out I need parts!
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

The horn may be a broken ground strap on the steering coupler.
'62 and '67 LCC.
UglyViking
Occasional Visitor

Post by UglyViking »

frasern wrote:The horn may be a broken ground strap on the steering coupler.
Oh man, if it's as simple as that I'll be a happy camper!
UglyViking
Occasional Visitor

Post by UglyViking »

Hey frasern, It looks like my turn signal switch is missing a piece that keeps the small plastic shuttle from moving out of the channel. I pulled the whole steel wheel and the small plastic part and moved the arm and it operates the rear turn signal switches properly. The front turn signal lights don't come on for either, however the rears do. The interior signal indicator lights don't seem to function properly however reading this thread it seems that is somewhat a known issue.

I plan to dig into that later but for the moment I'm trying to fix the turn signal itself, assuming the fronts just need their bulbs replaced. I've attached photos of what it looks like, I'm gonna assume this isn't a part I can easily get at an auto parts store but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
20210430_122949.jpg
20210430_123007.jpg
Any help is appreciated. Hoping I can get this on the road this weekend.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Being that in your case we're talking a Saginaw tilt column, a GM design used on GM cars that year, I would think that any part of that column can still be had, maybe not through part stores, but through other sources. That may not be easy, but maybe easier than sourcing parts for a '67 column.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

UglyViking
Occasional Visitor

Post by UglyViking »

Yeah, I sort of thought the same I thought I was getting close when I found this thread but I've turned up nothing. I've scoured rock auto, ebay and others but haven't found a single thing that shows this same mechanism. I've been at this hours today with no success as of yet.
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

Chances are pretty good you need a new turn signal switch especially if it is the original. I'm almost positive they can only be found at Lincoln parts specialty sources not your local auto parts store.
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
UglyViking
Occasional Visitor

Post by UglyViking »

I am ok with that, but so far I've been unable to find anything online. I reached out to Stinkin Lincoln to see if he has something. I'm mainly wanting to try and see what it looks like at this point. I'm getting concerned that this is so challenging to find for a part that I view as a potential wear item. All the videos/photos I've seen are either non 66 year or non-tilt models.
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I may have misunderstood. It sounds like a collection of problems, not just one. First off, in your pictures, there is a spring missing. it goes between the upper and lower dowels, and applies pressure to the middle one (Rt. side of column). this holds the lever in place, makes the click. It is likely still in the column, way down in the tube, very hard to find. There may also be a plastic bushing missing, or badly worn, on the middle dowel.
Plastic switches can, with time and heat, slightly warp, causing poor contact inside. check the housing for the switch at the bottom of column for distortion. I don't know if it can be disassembled and cleaned.
Relays could be a problem, Tony has a lot more experience with them, than I. I have some here, but they are untested. If you know which ones are needed, I can see what I have, take it apart, and figure out a test. I only need to keep the ones used in '67.
'62 and '67 LCC.

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”