Power steering

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Power steering

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Tony, where are you seeing $1,100 for a replacement pump? Last I looked on Ebay, Baker's had them for $695. Still not cheap, but not $1,100 either.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

That must be a new listing, then; had I seen that in time, I might have gone for it. But the only listing in that price range I did see was by John Brewer about two weeks ago, and it expired and was never relisted by the time I rechecked. I had not priced replacement pumps since I committed to getting the seal kit, about a week and a half ago, and the only hits I found were running for $1,100 on average...save for one that was going for $850, which was still too steep for me.

Well, good thing is that the rebuild I did seems to have passed the overnight leak-down test; the housing stayed completely dry, so I installed it. It took a good amount of persuasion to get the bad one off, but at least I didn't have to resort to renting a puller to do it. But it did feel like the sleeve had warped. I'm just glad I make it a practice to grease the crankshaft snout before installing the pump, otherwise I would have needed to walk to O'Reilly to rent a puller. I haven't given it a running test yet because I still have to see if the engine will fire, which I'll do tomorrow; I was so exhausted with finishing the engine reassembly that I got a dizzy spell, which told me to stop before my heart stopped. The rebuild slid onto the shaft with ease, so we'll see how that goes.

But I think I found the culprit where the other pump, the one that was on the engine, is concerned. In the pressure plate there is a press-in bearing which the sleeve runs through. The sleeve is supposed to rotate and slide in and out of that bearing with ease; it did with the pump I rebuilt. Not the case with the other one; the sleeve was jammed up so tight that, when I finally got it out of the pressure plate, the bearing came out with it. I was finally able to separate the two, but that sort of work should not be intrinsic to the disassembly. Like I said, the sleeve is supposed to come out with no issues. That tells me that the sleeve is likely warped. The rest of the innards look okay, but that one issue tells me that must have been the cause of the constant groaning I would get at cold-start plus the coughing up of fluid through the filler tube, which started about a month before the engine decided to go into a coma. I'll try to do some Dremeling to the sleeve like I did with the rebuild, but if that doesn't work I have to write off this pump. Maybe I can donate it to somebody who has connections with rebuild parts suppliers.

Right now I'm just hoping that my rebuild holds up, along with the engine firing up again.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

I found this pump for $320. Know nothing about it except the ad is weird.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lsc- ... YkQAvD_BwE

The price is $320 with free shipping
And there is a core charge of $500

What if I buy their reman unit for $320
Then send it back to them for $500

Do I make $180 on the deal?

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Indeed, that does sound suspicious. I wonder how they break even on that...?

Well, so far, it looks like my operation can be ruled successful. The engine is still not running, but I've spent enough time cranking it to equate a full minute of running, and the seals are holding very well. I also know that it's pumping, because it emptied out the reservoir after the first crank attempt, and after refilling the level has remained steady since, factoring in the two dozen or so cranking attempts I've made. I think I can say I fixed my steering issues; now, if only I can get the bloody engine to fire...

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
ravnlinc
Occasional Visitor

Post by ravnlinc »

I think it works out that you pay Summit $320 +$500 for the pump to come to you. Once you send in your old pump back to Summit, they return the $500. You end up paying $320 or $820 if you don't return the pump.
67 triple black sedan
Houston, Texas
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Okay, I suppose that makes some degree of sense then. I just find it odd that the core charge is higher than the product or service being provided. A net price of $320 is not bad at all for a replacement. But there are two things that still raise questions: First, the pump they depict is for the early-460 application; would they still honor those figures for the related-but-still-different 430/462 pumps? Second, how will the core refund be affected by the condition of the core? Say the center sleeve is warped to the point that it's seized to the pressure plate's bearing; will they forfeit refund of some of that core charge?

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

Tony, I might look into that pump a little more. I have a 66 also. I believe the shaft on that pump is longer and does not fit it sits too far from the case and you can't get the woodruff key in.

I believe yours has the line connection straight as opposed to curved. I bought a pump here like that and we had to use my original case and rebuild the whole thing to get it to fit. I have a post here about it from probably 6 years ago or so.
Rob
1966 Lincoln Convertible (White/Black)
1957 Chevy Bel Air Resto-Mod (Anthricite/Black)
2009 Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi (Hemi Orange Pearl/Black)
2012 Expedition EL (White Titanium Tricoat/Charcoal)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

If Summit can also do the MEL pumps, that'd be great. That will give us another viable option where these pumps are concerned.

Right now, for me it does not look like a pressing issue; I think my rebuild attempt may have been successful. The pump is not leaking, and it appears to have pushed the fluid into the system really fast when I tried cranking the engine. Of course, with the engine still comatose I have not given it a proper road test to confirm that it's fluid-tight. But what I did was necessary, as it looks like the sleeve for the pump that did break a seal was warped to the point that it won't go back into place properly. I'm wondering how long that had been going on, actually; that pump had been making low groaning noises ever since I installed it about three years ago, especially after highway trips. Then, with the very loud groaning and the puking up of fluid through the dipstick after a cold start, which happened about a month before the engine started acting sick, I'm thinking that sleeve was always grinding against its bearing since it was last rebuilt. Thankfully, the pump I rebuilt did not have that problem. I would, however, like to donate the other pump for a proper rebuild; maybe somebody might be able to replace the sleeve with one that will fit well.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”