1960 - 1969 CORRECT Power Steering Filter NOW AVAILABLE!

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

JAB
Lincoln Guru

1960 - 1969 CORRECT Power Steering Filter NOW AVAILABLE!

Post by JAB »

IMG_6873.JPG
Hey all,
I just wanted everyone to know that working with Master Lincoln Mechanic Arthur Apple, I have just come out with a CORRECT power steering filter for our Lincolns (60-69).
In a nutshell, the original correct style has not been available for about 20 years. The usual suspects and all the parts stores have been selling a filter which fits incorrectly and blocks fluid flow. In fact, most of them are AIR FILTERS, not filters for the Type F transmission fluid which is correct for these pumps. This new filter is rated for Type F transmission fluid, is the correct height and seats accurately for proper flow.

These are CUSTOM MADE for Brewer Classic Lincoln. They are not available from any other source, and none of the other Lincoln suppliers has access to them.

As a side note, many of our Lincolns probably are still using the original filter. A lot of owners do not know there is a filter inside the fluid reservoir.

Call if you have questions, or would like to order one.
Thanks
John Brewer
303 562-8368
Last edited by JAB on Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John Brewer
Brewer Classic Lincoln
303 562-8368
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: 1961 - 1969 CORRECT Power Steering Filter NOW AVAILABLE!

Post by LithiumCobalt »

John, what are you selling these for?
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Great Scott! My mechanic recommended yanking the filter in my 63, just for John's reason. This will be a grand thing, although I suspect, John, that most of us have had our boxes rebuilt, and so we've peeked inside the reservoir: probably had it on the bench trying to clean it, or paint the cover. Wayne
JAB
Lincoln Guru

Re: 1960 - 1969 CORRECT Power Steering Filter NOW AVAILABLE!

Post by JAB »

The price is $39 (including the new reservoir gasket I had made).

A couple of things to add.
These pumps were designed to run with a filter installed. Without the filter, there is risk that rubber debris from the inside of deteriorating power steering hoses will cause wear to the impeller, and become jammed in the power steering gearbox valves causing problems or hard to diagnose symptoms.
Also, the filter helps slow and direct the fluid flow. Without a filter, the fluid may become frothy, allowing air to enter the pump in the form of bubbles.
Last, any metal bits that might wear off of the pump interior need to be stopped before they start to erode the interior of the pump, line and gear box components.
These pumps are becoming too expensive and difficult to source. A proper filter at least once every 50 years is probably a good idea. :wink:

John
Last edited by JAB on Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
John Brewer
Brewer Classic Lincoln
303 562-8368
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Can this filter be used for Ford and Mercury of the era?
I think my '66 Park Lane has a filter. Not sure

>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
JAB
Lincoln Guru

Post by JAB »

The part number is
PB8M-3837A

I just looked at the Lincoln/Mercury/Meteor/Comet parts book through 1964 as well as the 58-59 book. Mercury cars 60-64 DO NOT use this filter.
All Lincolns 60-69, including Mark III use this filter.
58 and 59 Edsels with the crank mounted power steering pump do as well.

John
303 562-8368
Last edited by JAB on Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
John Brewer
Brewer Classic Lincoln
303 562-8368
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Thanks.

I think the 69 mark III has a filter in the pump reservoir. Because the '69 is a crank shaft mounted power steering pump.
For 1970 and later Mark Series, the power steering system used a belt driven pump. And I am pretty sure there is not PS filter in the 70/71 Mark III.
I will have to check.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

John,
is the installation procedure in the service manual?
RD
Robert DeFrang
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Have just given my daughter your info, John. I want this for Christmas. Wayne
JAB
Lincoln Guru

Post by JAB »

Robert,
You can find the exploded diagram for the power steering reservoir on page 61 of the 1965 Lincoln parts manual.
I will provide a copy of this diagram (generic to 61-69 Lincolns) with the filter.
Looking in the shop manual, I do not find a description of how to change the filter.

Note that the reservoir cover is held in place with a rubberized steel washer and a retention nut.
The rubberized steel washer has to be rotated up the shaft. It does not come off easily.
John Brewer
Last edited by JAB on Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Brewer
Brewer Classic Lincoln
303 562-8368
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Installation is very challenging with everything on the car if you have A/C. The reservoir is below and behind the AC compressor. I recall when I did this about a year ago that I had to disassemble a lot of things to get to it. It’s possible that it would be easier working from below. Problem with that is, you won’t be able to see to manipulate the filter into and out of place and also hold the spring and plate down to insert the retainer. Need about four hands for that. On my ‘67 (should be same on other MELs), the filter is held in place with a plate, spring and a c-clip. You put the filter in place, put the spring and metal plate on and then compress the spring until you see a groove in the center stud. The groove in the stud is what you put the c-clip through to hold it all in place. Trying to see/do this from above is near impossible with the AC compressor in the way. I believe I detached my reservoir and worked on it outside of the car and then put it back in when I was done.
Last edited by LithiumCobalt on Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
JAB
Lincoln Guru

Post by JAB »

The new filter falls right into proper place once you have dropped it in and set the metal centering "id" plate in place (which sets down exactly into the upper cork gasket).

I talked with Art Apple again about the install. He said that removal of the reservoir is not required for a non-A/C car, but is required for A/C cars. Removing the reservoir allows you to properly clean the entire unit, and replace the two short lengths of pressure hoses. Sediment from deteriorating rubber hoses tends to settle to the bottom of the reservoir and gum up the filter.

John
John Brewer
Brewer Classic Lincoln
303 562-8368
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I will certainly keep that in mind; I replaced Frankenstein's filter once before, about ten years or so ago, and remember having difficulty trying to set the filter in place so I could reassemble the reservoir. But it did eventually fit. However, knowing that there is a filter guaranteed to fit because it was built from scratch with OEM specs is a very good thing.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

Kudos for fabricating a previouly-unavailable service item. I'm always cheered when I see new parts being added to the list of things we can actually buy for our Lincolns. I implore you to consider that <<Looking in the shop manual, I do not find a description of how to change the filter.>> is not really going to ring the chimes of those shelling out $45 plus shipping. IMHO, anything like this should come with clear and complete installation instructions. We all love our Lincolns but some of us were not born with a silver wrench in our hands! There's good advice above but I think it would be better to write it up properly and include it with the part so we don't have to search for it on the forum, or for those ordering it who aren't members. Thanks!
'66 convertible "The Blue Lagoon"
JAB
Lincoln Guru

Post by JAB »

Captain Dave,
The complete instructions, and an exploded diagram of the power steering reservoir are already printed and being included with filters upon shipment.
I just checked the owners manuals, and the recommended replacement interval for this filter is 36,000 miles. Despite having this as a likely recommended service every few years, it is interesting that the Shop Manual does not mention replacement of the filter at all. This suggests that it is likely that many of our cars have never had this filter replaced.

Thank you to those who have already place orders.

John
Last edited by JAB on Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John Brewer
Brewer Classic Lincoln
303 562-8368

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”