New Metering & Proportioning Valves for our Lincolns!

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

New Metering & Proportioning Valves for our Lincolns!

Post by Dan Szwarc »

This thread inspired me to do a little more research:
Subject: Proportioning valve 65

For those upgrading to front discs, or those replacing their poorly-designed 65/66 metering valve and proportioning valves, a source for a simple combination valve has been found (and it has existed for years).
Dan Szwarc wrote:It is highly recommended to go to the 67/69 or a 70s combination valve setup as they are better and more reliable, but you don't have to.

Subject: Where can i get Proportional and Metering Brake Valve 1966
John Cashman wrote:For the 67-69 brake porportioning valve setup you don't need any part numbers as they aren't available new anyway... Just call Tim Nill in Florida and tell him what you need.(813)737-5466. He is the guy I sold 10 acres of Lincoln parts to 10 years ago and he has buckets of these valves... They never go bad so used is fine. John Brewer also has them.(303)562-8368. FYI most of us vendors don't use part numbers, just tell us what it is you need!
I did some searching and determined that instead of bothering with used components from a Lincoln of any incorrect year, you can just buy the disk/drum combination valve made by Classic Performance Products (available from Summit Racing here or you can shop around). It has both valves you need and is brand spankin' new.

Get the CPP PV2 valve in brass, aluminum, or chrome plated. It starts at $50, but can be had from eBay for as little as $38 shipped (USA).

Any questions?
davidpeden
Occasional Visitor

Re: New Metering & Proportioning Valves for our Lincolns!

Post by davidpeden »

Yep. Sure beats dealing with old parts and it's cheaper too! Now if only I thought to check ebay before buying from Summit last night...

Thanks,

David
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Wow--nice! I'll keep that in mind if any of Frankenstein's retrofitted parts go bad...or if I end up with merely my second-year-of-choice 'vert.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Newchapters
Frequent Contributor

Post by Newchapters »

Why we are on the subject of brakes what do you guys think the best way to go would be. I new brake booster with dual master cylinder or rebuild old one and add duel master cylinder. It looks like it might be cheaper to go with new booster and master cylinder. Can get whole kit for 398.00 http://www.classicdiscbrakes.com/53-66- ... master.htm or cpp for 1961-63 Lincoln, kit for 299.00 http://www.classicperform.com/Catalog/S ... ustoms.pdf here is what the cpp says on website. Wondering if anyone has used this before
FIREWALL BRAKE BOOSTER KITS
Due to higher line pressures required with disc brakes, it is recommended that a power assist unit be added to the
system. These vacuum assist units are the solution! Firewall brake booster units tuck to the firewall and include a firewall
seal to prevent fumes from entering the vehicle. Kit includes booster and 3/16" mounting brackets, linkage to connect to
the pedal, firewall seal, and master cylinder. Disc/drum and disc/ disc kits also include proportioning valve and bracket assembly. Kits avail-
ASK ABOUT CHROME UPGRADES!
#6163BB-MC
able in 7", 8", 9" or 11" and both single and dual diaphragm. If not specified, default booster diameter for your application will be provided. Note: #6163BB- MC includes proportioning valve assembly. Mopar boosters are designed for original manual applications. Power brake vehicles may require extensive modifi- cations.
1962 Lincoln bagged
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I recommend you start another dedicated thread.

I discovered where my front brake fluid was going. My original metering valve is leaking.

I ordered the chrome combination valve from eBay today and will install is as soon as possible. I'm probably going to bypass the proportioning valve, too, to make room. I guess I got 51 years out of the originals. That's not so bad.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

My PV2 valve arrived today. $33 shipped for the chrome on from eBay.

First note: it has the factory openings for the alternate-sized nuts that would have been typical on a 70s car. Either you have to use adapters, or you have to have the oversized fittings for 3/16" brake line (see this thread on where to buy those).

I happen to have the proper fittings, but I was short and had to use one adapter. You can see the fitting installed loosely in these pics.
IMG_5149.jpg
IMG_5150.JPG
This valve splits the front brakes. For my 66, I'll have to find the best way to plumb that since the factory ran one line to the metering valve, then split it at a junction block on the subframe.

I can also install some kind of a brake emergency light, now. I will have to find a away to adapt the 67 version (brake warning light on the passenger dash grill).
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

Dan Szwarc wrote:My PV2 valve arrived today. $33 shipped for the chrome on from eBay.
This is what I used on my car, just not the cool chrome one... Man, I guess I have neglected you all. Not a lot of free time anymore.

For the front I'll take a photo of what I did on mine for you Dan.
Rob
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I got the chrome because is was so damn cheap compared to the brass one.

Yesterday, I removed the original metering and pro valves from the car. I'm working on the bracketry and tubing for the combination valve. There's not a lot of room to mount it under the master when you have the correct black plastic relay box cover.

My research indicated that one CAN block off one of the two front brake ports and then split that line to the two front calipers. Based on logic, you have to block the bottom one because an air bubble will get stuck in the top one.
Attachments
d-17010-986[1].jpg
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

Dan Szwarc wrote:My research indicated that one CAN block off one of the two front brake ports and then split that line to the two front calipers. Based on logic, you have to block the bottom one because an air bubble will get stuck in the top one.
IIRC thiat is what I did. And, yes you can possibly trap air in that top port. I think I used the bottom to keep the installation cleaner and just bled the top port but I'll have to look to verify - it's been a while. I was still in Michigan.
Rob
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Id like to see a pic of your setup. I'm challenged at fitting this in the engine bay below the master. The bracket I bought won't work. I have to fabricate something. If could leave it mounted by the lines alone, but I think vibration will eventually cause failure. It's a pretty heavy piece of metal.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I had looked into trying to retrofit the '67 brake light (the dash warning light itself), but I discovered that it couldn't be done. The way the dash is made in '66 was different enough that a '67 panel just won't fit: There is metal bracing in the dash which interferes with the clearance that the bulb "basin" requires. And the lettered lens itself is also differently built from the lenses in the instrument panel, so taking it out to mount it elsewhere will be pointless. It's a shame, too, because if I could have done it, I would have swapped places between the BRAKE light and the BELT light; that would have been a better, more logical arrangement, IMEO.

The only thing I can think of would be to just add one of those clearly non-stock, round red lights to the panel somewhere, then hook in the wiring. It's just a matter of finding a spot where it will be visible and decent-looking (instead of looking like a ghetto hack-job).

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Tony, if your car has normal AC or no AC, there is an opening with a cover located to the right of the leftmost vent on the passenger dash grille. The cover comes off with two nuts from the inside. You can mount a bulb behind it easily.

If you have ATC, this is where the breather and thermistor for sensing internal temperature is located.

For the record, you CAN swap out the plastic lenses in the dash. You have to completely remove the chrome bezel from the dash, but the lenses come out with two simple thread cutting nuts. You can move them around, etc.

Another crazy idea I just had: mount a nice bright light INSIDE the left AC vent. Drill a hole into the bottom of the duct behind the grille on the inside and mount the bulb in there. Use a bright LED you can see from the driver's seat or something.

Once I get the brake combination valve mounted, I plan on adding the safety light and will have the same challenge. I can't use the vent hole I described because I already mounted my cruise control switch there.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I got it mounted.
Combination valve from top
Combination valve from top
Combination valve from front
Combination valve from front
I used a purchased bracket, but it could not be used with this master. It just didn't line up or leave any room!
GM left side bracket
GM left side bracket
So I bent it, unbent it, bent it again, unbent the factory bend, and bent it a final time. I had to drill a new hole in the sidewall, but that was easy.

Because of the bracket, I mounted the valve "backwards". Since the master has the rear brakes reservoir in the front and vice-versa, it made sense to install the valve the same way so the ports line up better. Each tube will do a U-turn to go where it needs to go and will make for easier bends, anyway.

I have one new line bent. Three to go. Time consuming, but worthwhile for a professional look.
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

Dan Szwarc wrote:Id like to see a pic of your setup. I'm challenged at fitting this in the engine bay below the master. The bracket I bought won't work. I have to fabricate something. If could leave it mounted by the lines alone, but I think vibration will eventually cause failure. It's a pretty heavy piece of metal.
I have a bracket I fabricated that drops mine into a position like yours but I am using the master cylinder mounting bolts. I used the two original lines from the vehicle repositioned using a pair of cheap pliers I modified with the shoes from a broken tubing bender I made to straighten brake lines. So the only tubes I made are the lines from the master to the valve itself. I did use the lower port to run the front brake line and just bled the valve before plugging the unused port - it gravity bled nicely.

I haven't been able to get a photo yet but I will try tonight although it looks like you have it handled!!
Rob
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Here's my final configuration using a dummy MC.

No adapters. All using proper fittings.
IMG_5242.JPG
IMG_5243.JPG
IMG_5244.jpg
IMG_5246.jpg
Notice I even wired up the brake warning light!. I modified a terminal from my stock, shrunk-wrapped it, then found a rubber/vinyl cap to seal it. One can buy the pigtail connector for this but it is huge, ugly, and pricey.

I haven't decided where to add the brake warning light yet, but the wire is routed into the passenger compartment and I can add it at any time.

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”