New Metering & Proportioning Valves for our Lincolns!

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: New Metering & Proportioning Valves for our Lincolns!

Post by Dan Szwarc »

The brake light switch needs to be added in a T-line to either the front or the rear brake circuit. Which ever is easier, I guess.

You need a T-junction preferably with NPT thread for the switch, and two non-inverted flare joints. They should have sent one with the kit (if you bought it from Bakers, etc.). If you just bought the master, then you're on your own.

Good luck finding that.
Ken Stevens
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Ken Stevens »

Upon further investigation, the front port is actually a bleeder valve! Although it has 3/8-24 threads it is not an inverted flare fitting.
Bleeder
Bleeder
And the port on the bottom is a 9/16-18 to 1/2-20 inverted flare adapter for some reason. Only the smaller side port for the front brakes is properly sizes for the 3/8-24 threaded inverted flare nut. Unless I can make sense of this, it's going back. Help me Obi Wan...
Ken Stevens
61 LC Convertible
Ken Stevens
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Ken Stevens »

Dan Szwarc wrote: If you just bought the master, then you're on your own.

Good luck finding thazt.
Thanks for mentioning the useless Dorman part number. It's going back. Guess I'll be paying the long dollar at Bakers.
Ken Stevens
61 LC Convertible
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

You're on your own just means you are going to need to figure out the fittings. At the very least, it's a drop-in spare for when the Baker's master fails.

Don't spend $185 for a few fittings. Drop in your local family-owned auto-parts store, bring your pressure switch, and spend some time with the clerk. You should be able to buy about $20 in parts to finish it.
Ken Stevens
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Ken Stevens »

So am I to understand the forward, downward facing outlet will need a 9/16 to 3/8 adapter so it feeds the back brakes? The included 7/16 to 3/8 adapter for the front brakes is fine, and a T-fitting for the brake switch should not be an issue but why the heck is there a bleeder valve on this master?
Ken Stevens
61 LC Convertible
Ken Stevens
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Ken Stevens »

One other question I have regarding the replacement dual master. The part that projects into the booster is different on the two masters. The old one is 1-9/16 with a square profile o-ring. The new master measures 1-7/16 with no o-ring seal. Isn't that critical to seal the vacuum chamber?
Rear projections on the masters
Rear projections on the masters
No o-ring on the replacement
No o-ring on the replacement
Ken Stevens
61 LC Convertible
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

No master comes with o-rings, except maybe the overpriced ones from the Usual Suspects.

Fill it with one of your own.
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

Dan,
My front and rear brakes related to the single can master connect to the proportioning/metering separate valves shown in the photo. Could you take photos of the bracket you made and where and how you attached it. I am converting to the dual reservoir with the proportioning pv2 valve you used and would love as good a template to complete the job as the one you had for the seat transmission. Thanks,
Rob
Attachments
rear brakes from this
rear brakes from this
front brakes from this
front brakes from this
Robert DeFrang
Ken Stevens
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Ken Stevens »

In doing research on older posts regarding installation of the 67-type dual master into an older single-master car, I have discovered some interesting information. Some posts mention the pushrod needing to be 3-11/32" which is shorter than needed for the single master.

What I want to know is does the 3-11/32" (3.343) dimension include the large round base? Because if so, by bottoming out the adjusting nut, I hit 3.405. So some cutting of the shaft will be necessary, perhaps .125 so I can move the adjusting nut out as required. Do I have this right?
Fully reduced adjuster
Fully reduced adjuster
Ken Stevens
61 LC Convertible
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Tony, if your car has normal AC or no AC, there is an opening with a cover located to the right of the leftmost vent on the passenger dash grille. The cover comes off with two nuts from the inside. You can mount a bulb behind it easily.
Oh, of course--I don't know why that didn't dawn on me way back then.

Something I wanted to ask about that new differential valve: Correct me if I'm wrong, does that thing have springs inside to recenter that pesky piston?

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

defrang wrote:Dan,
My front and rear brakes related to the single can master connect to the proportioning/metering separate valves shown in the photo. Could you take photos of the bracket you made and where and how you attached it. I am converting to the dual reservoir with the proportioning pv2 valve you used and would love as good a template to complete the job as the one you had for the seat transmission. Thanks,
Rob
I don't know what I can say other than I figured it out and so can you. I posted everything in this post.

The bracket I used was sold for the PV2 valve. I had to modify it because I couldn't use it as designed. I straightened the bend in a vice then hammered it flat. Then I bent it twice to fit the angle of the inside fender so the valve would be in the right position. I winged it and happened to get it right. Trial and error. It took two attempts (had to re-straighten, then rebend). It was challenging and I can't really give any hints other than you have to think like a fabricator (How do I make this fit in there?).

Here's a link to one version of the bracket in zinc dichromate plating.

This is probably the best shot of the bracket, showing my custom bends.
Custom bracket for PV2 valve.
Custom bracket for PV2 valve.
I mounted my valve backwards because of the way the ports would align better for the master cylinder. Since the front of the chamber is actually the rear brakes, it made more sense to put the valve in backwards.

Just plan out the routing of the lines and bend appropriately. The schematic for the valve is already posted on this thread here. Just make sure to hook up front to front and back to back. One front in, one front out (cap the other). One back in, one back out.

As you do them, think ahead about where the next line will go, how you will tighten the fittings, etc. It took me a couple hours to do, but it seemed to be OK since I made it to Fremont, California, and back to Michigan on it.
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

Thats great Dan. Very helpful.
Rob
Robert DeFrang

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”