79 Continental Air Springs

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

foul_owl
Occasional Visitor

79 Continental Air Springs

Post by foul_owl »

Hi folks,

I'm not sure what the attitude is toward air springs on these forums, but I must admit I think they are pretty cool.

My car definitely needs new springs, and I'm wondering if anyone has converted their (similar) car to use air springs.

What springs did you choose? Make and model. I know that there are some air springs that are supposed to be drop in replacements for coil springs.

Thanks!
foul_owl
Occasional Visitor

Re: 79 Continental Air Springs

Post by foul_owl »

Still wondering about this. I'm trying to raise the car up a bit to go up a steep driveway. Thank you!
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I think you will find more enthusiasm in the Updating, Modernizing, and Customizing subforum.

I think the term you are looking for is "bagged". There are many who do this.

Best of luck!
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

There is a lot of enthusiasm for balloon suspensions; I may be the only dissenting voice on that subject.

However, I'm not one to change facts to fit my views; and the fact is that such a conversion on your year will be much easier than those on '60s models. Yours already has a trailing-arm/coil-spring rear suspension setup, which will make installing balloons in place of the springs a much easier job.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”