Source for 63 brake self adjuster cable?

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

dgretz

Re: Source for 63 brake self adjuster cable?

Post by dgretz »

Lincoln Land and Napa #80696 (RT) 80695 (LT) adjuster kits with the cables they claim to be correct but they are 11.5" length. This is what was installed on my front brakes (prior recent brake job before I obtained the car) and were not engaging the adjuster gear as when place the adjuster on the gear there is slack in the cable to where is will unhook. My rear brakes not sure when last done, the cables maybe original or at least a few decades old are of a 11.25" length and properly engage the adjuster gear.
"63" Convertible - Rose "W"
Previous Lincoln's: "00" and "06" LS's; "16" MKZ
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

The brake linings were made thicker in '63, and the drums are larger. This can be verified in the specifications in the '61 manual and '63 supplement. Last spring, I compared all the parts from my '63 parts car, and my '62, the only difference I could find was that cable. The backing plates, springs, pivot, everything else remained the same. If I put that shorter cable on my '62, the adjuster won't seat. This makes no sense, the size of the lining should not affect how the shoe rides on the backing plate, something else must have changed in there, that I couldn't find.
Anyway, the '63 cable is shorter, and the hook end painted yellow for identification. The SEMA members are not making correct sized ones, and Lincoln Land and others only sell what SEMA members provide.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

Try this site for custom made cables. There seems to be enough demand to have a short run done and sell the surplus to other users.

https://makersrow.com/kaufman-manufactu ... assemblies
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

I still haven't found the solution to this. Fraser helped me out and send me some spare cables but I haven't had it apart yet to try them.
There aren't that many different styles of cables even between makes. It's just a matter of finding what model of vehicle uses the same length cable.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

I still haven't found the solution to this. Fraser helped me out and send me some spare cables but I haven't had it apart yet to try them.
There aren't that many different styles of cables even between makes. It's just a matter of finding what model of vehicle uses the same length cable.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
dgretz

Post by dgretz »

The correct total length for 63 from end to end is 11.25" lincolnlands are .25" to long. My rear brakes had the original cables and are 11.25" The fronts were rebuilt with Lincoln land parts and those cables are 11.5" and after inquiring 11.5" is all they stock and they claim they work but they were not engaging the spindle and adjusting my front brakes
"63" Convertible - Rose "W"
Previous Lincoln's: "00" and "06" LS's; "16" MKZ
George W
Lincoln Maniac

Post by George W »

Perhaps you can find the proper length cable from another source. Perhaps the same cable was used in the Ford truck or van lines of that or a later period. I don’t know if Ford manufactured their own brake components back then, when they were more vertically integrated. If the brake components were OEM’d by Bendix or Wagner then there’s a good possibility that another manufacturer, like Chrysler or Internationl, could have used a similarly sized drum brake backing plate hardware set as so much of these parts were shared across manufacturers. I’m not sure what size drum was used on the Lincolns ( 12” maybe ? ) but that could be a starting point to search.
1965 Sedan, white w/ black vinyl top and red leather. 28k miles

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”