67 Tilt mechanism teeth not engaging.

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Rshep1984

67 Tilt mechanism teeth not engaging.

Post by Rshep1984 »

I have an issue with my tilt function and I believe its throwing the column out of whack so my turn signals dont always turn on. The opposing teeth on the mechanism will not both engage. Its either one or the other (image attached). Upon looking closely I believe the bottom tooth may be deformed. Anybody ever come across this problem? I'll attach a few images.
Attachments
Tilt.jpg
John Cashman
Lincoln Guru
Location: Travel the USA... Favorites are southern Ca. & Fla.

Re: 67 Tilt mechanism teeth not engaging.

Post by John Cashman »

67 tilt columns are junk. Best fix is to replace with a straight column as parts do not exist. 66 is totally different and so is 68. 67 was the first year Ford made their own column and therefore the myrid of problems. The 66 columns were GM units. By 68 they re-engineered it and it was OK.(but a 68 column will not fit a 67... It was energy absorbing and completely different.)
NickG
Lincoln Maniac

Post by NickG »

When I rebuilt my tilt mechanism about five years ago I remember mine worked the same way as yours. From what I remember, there are nine positions the wheel can be in, so there are five slots on the lower side and four slots on the upper side. I think it was designed so only one of the teeth engages at at time, top or bottom. The rebuild was a nightmare as John confirmed, but I did get it working properly. I also had a turn signal problem, but that was related to both the turn signal switch and a broken prong on the plastic cancel cam. Nick
1967 Continental Convertible
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

It may just need a re-lube. Teeth aren't engaging because they are stuck in dried grease. Maybe some key squirts of lube will free it up. Maybe you need to do a column-ectomy and a rebuild and regrease. Not for the faint hearted.

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”