Will any proportioning valve work? 1965

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Will any proportioning valve work? 1965

Postby whitecastle » Fri May 17, 2013 11:20 am

It's with shame that I just now make good on a two year old post about upgrading my MC. :oops:

I understand my 65 has a metering valve. It leaks. I have a Dual M/C I really should install, so need a proportioning valve.

Is there anything I'm looking for specifically? These are the three available to me in town.

I presume any will work, or is there a key difference between a Disc/Disc valve and a Disc/Drum?

Yes - I will add speed bleeders too.
Attachments
PV.png
Last edited by whitecastle on Thu May 30, 2013 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
1965 Lincoln Continental 4 Dr Sedan - 2011 - Present - Mobsteel F/R - Accuair eLevel
1965 Lincoln Continental 4 Dr Sedan - 2011 - Stripped for parts
1964 Lincoln Continental 4 Dr Sedan - 1999 - Didn't run, couldn't fix, sold
whitecastle
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: Will any proportioning valve work? 1965

Postby Dan Szwarc » Fri May 17, 2013 1:35 pm

The answer is: yes, any adjustable proportioning valve will work.

You will have to do some road testing to find the highest point of pressure below which the brakes do not lock. So just set it, go for a drive and do a really hard stop. If the rears lock up, adjust the valve down. If they lock up too much on wet road, go a little lower.

Your 65 has a metering valve AND a proportioning valve.

The metering valve is this one:
DCP_1148[1].jpg
Metering Valve wCustom Boot

The proportioning valve is this one:
IMG_2952[1].JPG
Proportioning Valve

You need both. The metering valve helps reduce disc and pad wear by setting the minimum pressure at which the front brakes apply. The proportioning valve does the opposite and sets the maximum pressure at which the rear brakes are applied.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Postby TMaria » Sat May 18, 2013 9:20 am

I just bought a combination metering/proportioning valve from Lincoln Land. $145.00. I am on the final stage of replacing the whole system. The combo valve may also be available from NPD. It looks the same. More information when I finish and STOP!!!

Tony Maria
TMaria
Occasional Visitor

Postby whitecastle » Tue May 28, 2013 1:47 pm

So just to confirm:
A combination proportioning valve replaces both the stock prop valve AND the stock metering valve?

Doesn't look like any of the above options will work then, as they are simply adjustable prop valves. Sounds like I'm looking for a combination proportioning valve (not sure if they are adjustable or not).
Steve
1965 Lincoln Continental 4 Dr Sedan - 2011 - Present - Mobsteel F/R - Accuair eLevel
whitecastle
Dedicated Enthusiast

Postby TMaria » Wed May 29, 2013 11:22 am

I finished the job. Installed new rotors, callipers, pads, hoses front and rear, master cylinder, rear wheel cylinders, and the combo valve. It is not adjustable. The car stops fine.

Tony Maria
TMaria
Occasional Visitor

Postby Dan Szwarc » Wed May 29, 2013 11:42 am

whitecastle wrote:So just to confirm:
A combination proportioning valve replaces both the stock prop valve AND the stock metering valve?

Doesn't look like any of the above options will work then, as they are simply adjustable prop valves. Sounds like I'm looking for a combination proportioning valve (not sure if they are adjustable or not).

Yes. You want a combination valve. You may have to look for an NOS or used valve from a later model if you want to find one.

The industry doesn't talk about the metering valve much anymore. New caliper designs may have eliminated i's need from modern cars, but I'm not sure.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Postby TonyC » Wed May 29, 2013 7:10 pm

They may have just been merged into the computerized anti-brake systems so don't get as much attention as they should.

I don't know why, but the '67 setup is reversed, according to the manual. The metering valve is in the rear brake lines, and the proportioning valve in the front. Whatever, I was in dire need of a front valve for years. Finally got one last year, retrofitted it, and the difference in braking was amazing. Also amazing, the rotors stopped warping grooves in the edges. Wish that had occurred to me back in 2004.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Postby whitecastle » Thu May 30, 2013 2:10 am

Thanks Dan.

This is the one I think I'm going to use: Wilwood Combination Proportioning Valve
Steve
whitecastle
Dedicated Enthusiast

Return to Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes