61 to 65 power steering pump service

Frames, uni-bodies, suspensions, axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, etc.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

action
LCOC Regional Director

61 to 65 power steering pump service

Post by action »

A friend has a 61 that needs the power steering pump rebuilt or wants to buy a rebuilt one.

Everywhere I have been going the vendor is out of stock.
Is there a company that is rebuilding these?
Or someone know of a pre-66 pump for sale. (I think the only difference is the nipple direction)

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 61 to 65 power steering pump service

Post by papawayne »

Hey there: My new mechanic got a power steering box from Advantage Steering in California. I'll bet they've got a pump, too. I'm sure they'll want a core. Wayne
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Thanks! Website shows a LM crank mounted pump rebuild service for $795.
They only list 59 & 60 Lincoln. Since this is a service and not the pump, I would doubt that they could not do other years. The inlet/outlet ports are different than 66 to 69. The body looks the same.
And I have forwarded this data to the guy that wants the service.

https://advantagesteering.com/oe-power- ... oyager-rr/

Again thanks!!!

Action
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Well, I don't know if I'm going over the edge with this; but considering the success I had last time, I would say that I'm able to do it. The steering pumps are exactly the same for the 430 and 462 Lincoln-app engines, meaning that span of years extends from '61 to early-'68; they did not alter the design until the 460 came along in '68 (even then, the innards were similar enough).

There are rebuild kits listed all over E-Bay. Some of them are seals only, but I have seen kit listings that also include a bearing for the impeller sleeve. Last year I tore down a steering pump that I had stashed away, which had a seal leak (which was why I stashed it away); the pump that was on the engine was exhibiting some wonky behavior for about a month or two before the engine went into its coma. I brainstormed a few tricks for the pump I rebuilt and picked up on some things that led me to conclude what the problem was with the other. The pump I rebuilt, I used a $50 seal-only kit; with the tricks I tried, that rebuild was totally successful: I did the job about March, and it wasn't until Halloween that I was able to give it its real test; but to this day I have not experienced one drop of fluid loss, nor any wonky groaning. Basically, what I learned is that the sleeve needs to be able to turn without resistance when it's in place; it also should be able to come out of the pump, again without resistance, once the retaining spring and dowel are removed. If there is a lot of resistance, or if that center bearing comes out with the sleeve upon removal (as was the case with me regarding the one that was on the engine), warpage has occurred either with the sleeve or the bearing. I'm not sure if a new bearing will cure the problem, or if the sleeve needs to be ground down or outright replaced; but knowing already the susceptibility to warpage that the sleeve has demonstrated (confirmed if the pump does not slide off without assistance from a puller), I'm thinking the sleeve is more to blame.

Anyway, if I could pull it off with mine, I might be able to pull it off with someone else's. I think I would probably ask $200 plus any parts costs to perform a rebuild; the owner can even acquire a rebuild kit on his own and send the whole thing to me to do the job, eliminating the part cost from me. If it turns out that the job is beyond my ability to perform, I would send the whole thing back to the owner, and he would not end up owing me anything. These pumps are precision-machined, but they are simple enough to work on.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Found out the guy isn't going for that.

He has decided to get a kit and give it to his mechanic that works on his more modern cars.
He thinks he will get it faster and for less $.
Those kinds of guys I just want to get out of their way. Because it is a possible crash coming and I don't want to be involved.

It is car driving weather (during the day it will be over 70 this weekend) here. And come to find out he wants to be on the road yesterday.

Good for him.
As for me, it is car auction week is here!!!!

Action
Last edited by action on Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

It's okay, Action; it was only my suggestion, subject to his decision. If he thinks a general-21st-Century mechanic can know his way around a mid-20th-Century exclusive car, at a better cost ( :lol: ), then let him. I would at least recommend to him to loan out his shop manual to his choice of mechanic, just to give the guy an orientation of what he's getting involved with. But, that's me :? .

I can kind of relate to his itch to get the car on the road "yesterday." When Frankenstein was in a coma, each month that ticked by I wanted him back on the road "last month." Of course, I had a far greater reason to feel that need than your friend; at least he has a fleet to fall back on, to get around. All I had was my two feet, plus the occasional charitable transpo offer from folks on the road. Anyway, good luck to him.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

Return to “Chassis, Suspension, Steering & Brakes”