1994 LINCOLN

This area is reserved for the ever growing need for technical documentation for our Lincolns. It is where scans and pics of schematics, wiring diagrams, vacuum diagrams, technical bulletins, and all similar documentation is made available to members of TheLincolnForum.Net. The best part is it is all free. Original owners copyright is assumed as this information is only provided as a reference for members.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

autonut
Occasional Visitor

1994 LINCOLN

Post by autonut »

I have a '94 Lincoln. I am a little confused of whether it is a Town Car or a Continental Executive. What are the differences and how can I determine which of the two it is??
Perhaps with the VIN you can tell me. The VIN is: 1LNLM81W3RY764776. Do they have the same engine? I am having a little difficulty to find a gasket that matches the oil filter adapter.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: 1994 LINCOLN

Post by TonyC »

Well, what does the car have to say? I mean, by nameplates? And which model are we talking? There were three very different models offered by Lincoln in that year, and two engines offered depending on the model. Continentals and Town Cars were two entirely-different models, with entirely-different engines. A shot of your pride and joy would help, not just in identifying it but also maybe identifying its trim option; easier to see a picture of it than look up a VIN.

In the case of the engine's oil filter adapter, they are likely not the same. The Continental of that year used the 3.8 V-6, whereas the Town Car used the then-new 4.6 V-8. That's why we need to know what yours looks like. If sources still will not be able to match an adapter gasket, that means you will have to make one, using the old gasket as your template to cut a new one. That's what I normally would have to do, unless I want to buy a complete engine-gasket set for just the one gasket.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: 1994 LINCOLN

Post by TonyC »

Our brilliant founder to the rescue! :clap: Well, now we know what to tell the OP.

Autonut, your car has the 4.6L V-8 (contrary to what the VIN-finder site pulled up, the old 5L was dropped after 1990, the 4.6 replacing it from '91 onward), which actually is not a rare, much less exclusive, engine. Sources should not be giving you grief for an oil-filter adapter gasket. But if they are, you can make your own with the proper bulk gasket material (which all auto-part sources will be able to find, don't believe anyone that says otherwise). If you can remove the old one relatively intact, use it as a template to trace a new one on the material, then cut it out and install. If you cannot salvage the old gasket intact, use the mounting surface of the adapter as your template; putting ink or paint on that surface, then pressing it on the material, will leave the impression of the gasket's shape (just remember to thoroughly clean off said ink or paint from the adapter afterward). Cut and install. Don't worry, the problem you have has easy solutions.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)