Need Part numbers for 1965 Auto Dim Unit

This area is reserved for the ever growing need for technical documentation for our Lincolns. It is where scans and pics of schematics, wiring diagrams, vacuum diagrams, technical bulletins, and all similar documentation is made available to members of TheLincolnForum.Net. The best part is it is all free. Original owners copyright is assumed as this information is only provided as a reference for members.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

linc64
TLFer for Life

Need Part numbers for 1965 Auto Dim Unit

Post by linc64 »

I need to confirm if a complete auto dim unit for '65 will plug into a '64. I have a complete system, including foot switch and headlight switch, from a '65. One of my friends said he thinks that the wiring is different between the two years.
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Need Part numbers for 1965 Auto Dim Unit

Post by Suicidekid63 »

Jim,

Here is some documentation on serial # ID. Looks like it is for T-Birds, but mentions Lincoln, too.
http://automotivemileposts.com/tbirdaut ... immer.html

You could also try contacting John Oldenburg (815-291-4384)

Also, I think these units are all self contained and do not use any of the factory harness, so I'm pretty sure it would work. I think these were dealer added options, as well as factory options.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

And yes, there is no reason for me to believe they won't swap in. The units, I think, were all the same from '61 (or '62, depending on what year the unit was first offered on Suicides) through '65. Later than that had different setups.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

I think the only mod you would have to do is to drill the mount hole, for the eye, into the access panel on top of the dash.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

Thanks. I have the eye installed. I need to install the unit in the kick panel area as well as the foot switch and headlight switch. I know that there is existing wiring in the car already that everything needs to plug into, just need to know if the '65 parts will plug into the existing wiring on my '64. Don't want to take things apart first to find out after that it won't work. :wink:
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

I think all wiring should be exposed for the amp unit and foot switch, so you wont need to do any digging around. The only thing that will need to be accessed is the plug for the eye. It can be easily gotten to by just popping off the dash top panel.
No headlight switch needs to be replaced, as it does not have anything to do with the auto dimmer.

Did your '64 previously have a dimmer unit? If not, I don't think any wiring will be present and you will have to use the wiring from the '65 unit and route it yourself. If you just removed your old amp, then you should ?? be good to go with previous units wiring, if it was left in place.