Looking at a 1962 Continental Sedan

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
WinnipegLincoln

Looking at a 1962 Continental Sedan

Post by WinnipegLincoln »

Hello, I am looking at a 1962 Contiinental Sedan. It is listed for $16,000 CDN, local to me. The owners (who inherited it from a brother) believe $30,000 was spent on it. It underwent some engine work a number of years ago, but has not been run in at least six years is my understanding. Interior was redone, pieces are all there (some in the trunk), but the interior does not appear to be pristine (some missing knobs, a few tears in the seat backs, rear passenger door does not seem to latch properly). No evidence of rust, but I have not looked underneath. Paint looks okay (good from 10 feet), but swirls/marks up close. Chrome is there, but not perfect. No power from battery so could not verify function of anything. Am in the process of getting a mechanic I know to help with looking at the car. I don't want to speculate too much as to what it needs or won't need. At a minimum I am hoping coming with a battery for it would allow to test electrical matters (windows, doors, seats, HVAC to see if motor blows), and see if engine cranks.

Any guidance/comments would be most appreciated. I have looked at some of the sticky posts that outline items to look for. I am looking for something that would be nice to drive daily, no intention of a show car.

Thanks!

Link to vehicle:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/wi ... nFlag=true
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Looking at a 1962 Continental Sedan

Post by papawayne »

Hmm...seems high, given your description versus the description in the ad. Wayne
bob sandercock
Lincoln Maniac

Post by bob sandercock »

I sent you a PM with my opinion.
There are no pictures of engine, trunk, under carriage,dash etc.
The wheels and hub caps are not original, they are 15" from a later year.
Make sure your mechanic goes over it critically from end to end.
Can the seller verify what has been spent on it?
Also cars that have sat for several years often need a lot of attention
and money spent getting them up to proper running condition.
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

$16,000 CDN equals about $12,225 USD. Will need lots of work, and since most of the parts are in the US, you'd have to deal with getting them into Canada.
WinnipegLincoln

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and information. I am bringing a mechanic to take a look next week, and will see where it goes from there.
Classiccannuk
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Classiccannuk »

Seems very high, without it running it's hard to determine what it needs to put it back on the road, I purchased my 64 a few yrs back, it had been stored inside but hadn't been on the road for 17 years and the bills add up real quick, parts are not cheap and they are very complex cars. Be sure to check for rust and rust repair, the cars are built without a traditional frame and having a sound rust free car is important.
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

The description is "pristine".
If the car IS pristine it is worth the price.

However I bet to the uneducated it is pristine. To some one that knows classic cars in general and knows slab sides specifically will find out that pristine doesn't apply here. You have already described missing parts tears and damage that does not meet the definition of pristine. In addition sounds like zero maintenance in six years. That isn't too bad for a modern ride. For that era that means rubber pieces may have rotted, rodents may have camped out, grease hardens up and rubber seals may have dried out. Which leads to fluid leaks after the vehicle is used again. And a dying battery will damage a clock. Lot rot is real. And while a 4 door slab side is not as complex as a convertible. It is still far more complex than a Falcon.

>>>>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I am not aware of a black and red interior in 62. Check the hoisting pads for rust. (boxed areas in unibody below hinge points) If they will not support the weight of the car on the hoist, run. Canadian cars rust here, and body shops hide it. If rear door posts are weak at bottom , same problem. Lift on rear doors and watch for deflection. Car looks like a nice driver, probably priced where it should be if it were in turn key condition. Obvious problems should reduce that, in my opinion.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
WinnipegLincoln

No, I believe the interior was redone and is not original, which does not bother me. All I am looking for is a nice driver, nothing more. Thanks very much guys for the additional input - much appreciated. I am going for a look with a mechanic in a few days to take a better look, and will also use the information provided above when looking.

Thanks!
WinnipegLincoln

We went to check it out Friday, and could not get the starter to engage. Was going to take it to a shop early the following week, but they then got an offer over the weekend to tow it away that day, so I said take it. Was not sure what I was getting myself into, and didn't want to chance ending up with more than I could handle, as I would have ended up relying on a shop to do the majority of the work. The search will continue. In the meantime, thank you once again to everyone that provided their opinion or information - it was really helpful. Thanks!
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

I think you made a good move. Rushing into a long term relationship without knowing what you are getting into usually does not end up well.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80