Project BB (Big b*tch) 67 Vert

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
KingLAmar

Project BB (Big b*tch) 67 Vert

Post by KingLAmar »

Well, well, well.

After wanting this car since I was a kid I found one online and decided to pull the trigger and tackle my first ever car project. I had her delivered about a month and a half ago and have already gotten some tips from this forum about the charging system. Now I am ready to tackle the huge list of to do's. I do have a manual and convertible top manual so that's a plus.

It's called project BB because when my brother first saw it he said, "Wow thats a Ugly Big B*tch"...haha. Well with a lot of love and prayer it won't be ugly for long.

About the Car:

- The seller said that the engine and tranny had been redone but I am not totally sure because it is leaking oil from the oil pan. Now I am having doubts and will need to go in an check the timing chain.

- All the parts are hopefully in the trunk. It's going to be a hell of a mission trying to put this thing back together. There is a big box of bolts...smh

- 80% of the body work has been completed. Need to tackle the surface rust

- The top is non operational and has a ton of parts. I think a few are extra pumps (see pic)?

- All the chrome has been rechromed and is still wrapped

- Needs new interior and top

- No idea if the windows work due to everything being disassembled and in the trunk

- Came with new rubber seals in box

Not sure where to start but either the oil pan which looks like a tough job. Some of those bolts look impossible to get to. Or I will tackle the top and see where all those pumps go.

If you are a believer I can use your prayers. This should be a fun project.

KL

Los Angeles
1967 LCC
1981 Mercedes 380sl
2004 Lincoln LS (daily 220,000+ miles)
action
LCOC Regional Director

Re: Project BB (Big b*tch) 67 Vert

Post by action »

Taking on some one else's jig saw puzzle. You are a brave sole.
Hopefully it will be on the road in a year or so.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
KingLAmar

Post by KingLAmar »

action wrote:Taking on some one else's jig saw puzzle. You are a brave sole.
Hopefully it will be on the road in a year or so.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
When I was checking it out online I was like, "yeah no problem." Then when I opened up that box of bolts and screws reality sunk it pretty hard. A year seems like a good time frame.
Los Angeles
1967 LCC
1981 Mercedes 380sl
markhoward

Post by markhoward »

Having the master parts catalog has been a big help with my 61 convertible purchased non running with missing parts. PDF available here: https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... =7&t=28049

Would connect with John Cashman for the fast track to properly working windows and top.
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

I second the suggestion of a MPC in both text and illustrations in addition to the shop manual which was that great back then but better than some guessing.

?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
KingLAmar

Post by KingLAmar »

markhoward wrote:Having the master parts catalog has been a big help with my 61 convertible purchased non running with missing parts. PDF available here: https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... =7&t=28049

Would connect with John Cashman for the fast track to properly working windows and top.
Perfect! Will do. Thanks for the tip!
Los Angeles
1967 LCC
1981 Mercedes 380sl
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Someone is drinking from the firehose.
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

You are taking on a difficult job, especially for your first one, and I wish you the best of luck. When I bought my 67 convertible it was not on the road. It had been sitting for several months. It would start and drive but the water pump was spewing anti-freeze ecerywhere and I had to replace it in the driveway of the seller before I could drive it home. It was a fairly hair raising but uneventful drive home due to poor brakes ultimately traced to a squished brake line. After that I went through the brakes, front end, exhaust system. I replaced the belts, hoses, tires, battery, all fluids including in the differential. At this point I had the car where it was a reliable driver but still sat a bit too low and would bottom out with 6 in the car. Next I tackled getting the windows and convertible top working properly. I drove the car like this for many years and eventually decided to restore the interior and exterior.
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
KingLAmar

Post by KingLAmar »

LC67Vert wrote:You are taking on a difficult job, especially for your first one, and I wish you the best of luck. When I bought my 67 convertible it was not on the road. It had been sitting for several months. It would start and drive but the water pump was spewing anti-freeze ecerywhere and I had to replace it in the driveway of the seller before I could drive it home. It was a fairly hair raising but uneventful drive home due to poor brakes ultimately traced to a squished brake line. After that I went through the brakes, front end, exhaust system. I replaced the belts, hoses, tires, battery, all fluids including in the differential. At this point I had the car where it was a reliable driver but still sat a bit too low and would bottom out with 6 in the car. Next I tackled getting the windows and convertible top working properly. I drove the car like this for many years and eventually decided to restore the interior and exterior.

That is the truth! This has been a fun learning experience so far. This is definitely the oldest car I have ever tried to wrench on. It's a learning curve for sure. Not proud but I did have to google how to start this thing up and when the fuel pump went out the first thing I did was look for a fuse to replace...smh. It's all fun and I am super determined to get this thing on the road. BTW your car looks amazing! good job!
Los Angeles
1967 LCC
1981 Mercedes 380sl
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

Thank you for the compliment. The car actually drives as nice as it looks and is incredibly comfortable cruising along at 75MPH on the highway. It was worth the effort put in. My approach was to get it to be a reliable driver first before I did anything with the exterior or interior, which were pretty worn and tatty. I went through all of the mechanical systems in the first couple of months and then began to drive the car regularly. It looked like a beater but ran great. Several years later when I had enough money I did the exterior and interior.
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible