59 dash removal

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
Fine59
Frequent Contributor

59 dash removal

Post by Fine59 »

I’m wanting to replace my gauge cluster cover and my wiper switch and wondered if anyone has ever taken on this task and if so, could you share detailed instructions? Pretty sure I’ll need to lower the steering column. I don’t really see instructions in the shop manual for this task.

Thank you!
bagged59
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: 59 dash removal

Post by bagged59 »

to get the cluster out, your best bet is to remove the whole dash assembly, which also includes dropping the column. the dash pad slips off, cant remember the exact process, but there's a screw on each end of it, then it will slide in whichever direction to slide it off. once that's off, you'll see screws along the base of the window. the dash is 2 pieces. get help with it, it's cumbersome to handle alone. there's brackets that go to the firewall that support the dash, you'll need to unbolt those. there's a panel that covers the top of the cluster, that faces the windshield, taking that off helps. once the dash is out, the gauge cluster has about 8-10 nuts, plus wires and the speedometer cable. the backside of the cluster has some clips that holds the clear plastic piece. just keep the wires and fasteners organized. hope that helps.

i'll try to dig out some pictures to upload. im in buffalo and we're under a blizzard warning :lol: :lol: :lol:

paul
'59 Continental 2dr hardtop, burgundy, 460, AOD, 9" rear, 4-wheel Wilwood disc brakes, air ride, vintage air. purchased 7/7/06. Restoration in progress...

https://www.instagram.com/paulrosowicz/