Nic Sanford's 61 Project

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
NicSanford
Dedicated Enthusiast

Nic Sanford's 61 Project

Post by NicSanford »

Found a 61 that I might jump on. Question about the motor. Does anybody know if stock colors were blue like this for the year, or is there a chance this was rebuilt? Never seen this combo under the hood but know the 61s were unique in many ways. Thoughts?
Attachments
7B675E80-446E-4B07-8C18-75C0F81C02A2.jpeg
A8DF8937-75B8-42E8-8386-DF6C784C6E5D.jpeg
9818916B-8572-4792-8C54-F16F2CB9C937.jpeg
0BA25C9A-1F90-4D0D-B839-8F249E08A1AD.jpeg
Nic Sanford - Food Truck Owner / Musician / Singer / Songwriter / Producer / Internet & Media Professional / Lincoln Lover
1961 Lincoln Continental
http://www.TurtleIslandGrille.com
linc64
TLFer for Life

Re: Potential 61 Project

Post by linc64 »

No blue. Should be black.
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

Someone took a rattle can to this. Why else would the fuel pump heat shroud and fan shroud and the engine bay supports be blue also. Less likely to be a rebuilt 430 painted blue or a 462 swap. How much are they asking for it?
Robert DeFrang
NicSanford
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by NicSanford »

That’s what I thought. Asking $3200. Cranks but does not start. Hoping it isn’t something too major. If intact I could probably get it started quick. Needs a new fuel tank, but otherwise looks decent.
Nic Sanford - Food Truck Owner / Musician / Singer / Songwriter / Producer / Internet & Media Professional / Lincoln Lover
1961 Lincoln Continental
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Hey, welcome back ( I think) aren't you the guy who did a 62 a few years back? If you can do a 62, you can do a 61. I think someone liked blue...the trunk looks tannish. Wayne
NicSanford
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by NicSanford »

Hey Wayne! Yeah that’s me, let go of my 62 after my divorce a while back and kickin myself in the ass ever since. Missed everybody. Yeah the deck lid looks like it was replaced, so I wonder about rust on the floor boards and the motor. It’s about a two hour drive from me and I haven’t seen it in person yet. Hope the motor is the original.
1961 Lincoln Continental
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

First year for "Corporate Blue" engine paint was 1966. Prior to that engines had different paint colors based on size, family or division.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

Hey Nick, good to see you back, I was just asking about you maybe a month or so ago.
On the ‘61, which I have and love by the way, are you getting fuel?? Can you get a spark? Can you do a compression test??? $3200 sounds like a steal...................IF the body is good and its complete. When it turns over, hope does it sound??? Anything weird??
I you have compression, spark and fuel, it will run
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

Interior is not original :cry:
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

Looks like mold on the steering wheel, sign of bad storage. Not the end of the world, just something to watch for
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

engine should be black as were almost everything under the hood that is now blue. I am guessing it is more a rattle can spruce up of the original motor some time ago. If someone went to the trouble of doing something to the interior and replace the trunk lid, the car may have at one time been under the care of someone wanting to fix it up - and not too concerned about originality. By the way, the engine compartment should be body colored not black unless the car was black. Sorry I am writing this without viewing the pics on my phone so some of my observations are guesses not based on facts.
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
NicSanford
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by NicSanford »

Thank you guys for all the replies. I messaged the owner for more pics and this is what the owner sent back.

"You have all the pics I’ve taken so far. I can shoot a few more if you like but I think seeing it in person would give you a better feel. It was well cared for and drove by the previous owner but he didn’t have the time and energy to do it justice. His daughter drove it to her prom about 8 years back."

As for the mold, it's in Astoria, Oregon, a wet and salty coastal town so I hope rust isn't so bad if it does have some. I'm really curious though why they would paint the whole block if it weren't a rebuild, so that could be a good thing. At this point I'm not so concerned about originality, just as long as I can get my hands on a 61 I can fix up to get an all original later on. If I do customize, my main concern is mechanics. Vapor lock in my 62 was the biggest pain in the ass, and I want to avoid that by any means necessary. Even thinking an A/M EFI...
1961 Lincoln Continental
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

NicSanford wrote: As for the mold, it's in Astoria, Oregon, a wet and salty coastal town so I hope rust isn't so bad if it does have some. I'm really curious though why they would paint the whole block if it weren't a rebuild, so that could be a good thing.
I have repainted engine parts when there was no engine work done. To several vehicles. Especially if I have removed a piece like a valve cover to replace a gasket. If the paint on the valve cover is poor, it gets painted. In addition to improving the looks, it stops any rust from messing up the metal pieces on the engine. Pitted metal on an engine, still looks kind of poor after it has been repainted. (Valve cover, front engine cover .... heck any cover)

It does bother me to see things painted a color that isn't correct. Like the blue horns. I suppose if that is your thing OK. If it was to protect the metal from rust, why not use the correct color?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
NicSanford
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by NicSanford »

Yes, the blue would be gone immediately. Not feeling it on a 61 at all.

Did get a couple more pics of the front end and it looks pretty damn clean.
Attachments
A838422A-4904-4A28-A6D3-5A696F238725.jpeg
931F6D95-F361-4EE2-B548-00CBCD2C1DE5.jpeg
1961 Lincoln Continental
NicSanford
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by NicSanford »

Came and looked at this 61 today. Would be a huge undertaking, good amount of rust, and wiring has been compromised a lot with stereo wire and such. It clicked when turning it over, and nothing in the dash lit up with jumper cables on it. Heard the motor move at first so it’s not seized, but there’s potential. He’s asking $3200, but with the electrical and condition of the floor boards I’m on the fence. Thoughts?
1961 Lincoln Continental