Nic Sanford's 61 Project

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
NicSanford
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: Nic Sanford's 61 Project

Post by NicSanford »

Well fellas, I finally got time to get down to the shop, and the bolts from the exhaust manifolds to the pipes are completely seized. No matter how hard I try, they won't budge. Does anybody have any ideas on another way to get these manifolds out with the heads? I would grind them out, but I'm afraid of the bolts being seized into the manifolds. Dead in the water until I get these out...
Nic Sanford - Food Truck Owner / Musician / Singer / Songwriter / Producer / Internet & Media Professional / Lincoln Lover
1961 Lincoln Continental
http://www.TurtleIslandGrille.com
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Let them soak in a half and half mixture of acetone and trans fluid for a few days. Or drill them out as a last resort. I take it that you've already tried fire and all of the other suggestions? Wayne
NicSanford
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by NicSanford »

I haven't tried fire yet but that will probably be my next step. Only trouble is getting a flame down that far in the engine bay. I haven't yet lifted the car to try from underneath but imagine that will be the way to go. Thanks Wayne!
Nic Sanford - Food Truck Owner / Musician / Singer / Songwriter / Producer / Internet & Media Professional / Lincoln Lover
1961 Lincoln Continental
stevedrums
Frequent Contributor

Post by stevedrums »

I hate rust.
1961 Sedan
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

anyone ever try the melting wax trick in these bolts?... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qqMXXGgFQg
Rob
1966 Lincoln Convertible (White/Black)
1957 Chevy Bel Air Resto-Mod (Anthricite/Black)
2009 Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi (Hemi Orange Pearl/Black)
2012 Expedition EL (White Titanium Tricoat/Charcoal)
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

I'd forgotten that one. The trouble with that is that the wax, even when melted, is bigger than weasel pee. Nic's are probably so crudded up that hot wax wouldn't creep into the threads. I still vote fire and the various combinations of it already mentioned here. If he can cut those bolts, he's got a decent chance on the bench. Wayne
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Nic, just thought of something else. If all else fails, take a hack saw to your exhaust pipes, or a Sawzall or an acetylene torch. Cut them in a place where you can get the head and manifold out of the car, AND where you can weld them back together again. Or just sacrifice them to the exhaust gods and get yourself a new exhaust system. Wayne
jtheye
Frequent Contributor

Post by jtheye »

NicSanford wrote:I haven't tried fire yet but that will probably be my next step. Only trouble is getting a flame down that far in the engine bay. I haven't yet lifted the car to try from underneath but imagine that will be the way to go. Thanks Wayne!
I don't have the time to work on my LC, but what I do know is I have for years been around mechanics who work on large Cat type diesel engines. When it comes to these types of bolts/studs, heat is the only way to go. I have seen mechanics take a small torch to the block and then hold a piece of ice on the stud and magically pull the stud out with ease. Hope you try this and are amazed also. My last suggestion if you have to drill out is to get the right sized left handed drill bit. This type of bit cuts in the reverse direction of normal bits and will many times surprisingly pull the stud out at the last minute "bite".
Whatdidijustgetinto?
1964 Rezinental Sedan
NicSanford
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by NicSanford »

Well you wouldn't believe it but after a whole lot of cuss words, busted knuckles, and cranking on these exhaust manifold bolts, they finally broke loose. Been a long final term at Portland State University, but finally had some time to do some work on the 61. While I was under the car I discovered the block was painted blue and the motor mounts seemed pretty new. Glad to see it's been rebuilt at some point, and surprised by the condition of the piston heads. With the exception of some surface rust on the heads, I think I'll be in good shape when I get these top-end parts rebuilt! Been missing the forums, hope everybody is well!!
IMG_2299.JPG
IMG_2300.JPG
IMG_2301.JPG
IMG_2302.JPG
IMG_2303.JPG
1961 Lincoln Continental
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Glad you're back at it, and glad things finally came undone! Keep us posted, I know I'm not getting any younger! Wayne
NicSanford
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by NicSanford »

Finally ready to pull this motor and get these parts and engine bay cleaned up...
EBB2E401-7BF0-4D06-A2E6-FE50A2467D65.jpeg
6C4FD358-3315-47F2-99E8-3FE26D137BEE.jpeg
E35522B9-FD68-42A0-BD4A-EB719CA4D02C.jpeg
920F81F3-D315-4EE6-A8F2-6B2532B63E95.jpeg
1961 Lincoln Continental
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Familiar memories here for me. Love seeing things cleaned up and going back together.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Welcome back again! I was a bit worried that you'd dropped off the edge! Wayne
NicSanford
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by NicSanford »

LithiumCobalt wrote:Familiar memories here for me. Love seeing things cleaned up and going back together.
Right? I can't wait to see this project through and hope I can complete with at least a month left in the summer. Really trying to hit up the drive through theater up here in Oregon with the family.
1961 Lincoln Continental
NicSanford
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by NicSanford »

papawayne wrote:Welcome back again! I was a bit worried that you'd dropped off the edge! Wayne
Haha thank you Wayne! I'm always lingering about but haven't done any new work in a while. Coming up on a year now and I only just now got the other cylinder head off LOL. But you know how this goes. Good seeing ya on here!
1961 Lincoln Continental