Follow my 430 rebuild adventure

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Follow my 430 rebuild adventure

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I'm gonna nitpick because I can.

Looks like that transmission was painted black. Originals would have never been painted. The original color would have been cast iron grey.

I see a white steering gearbox in that nice, white painted engine bay. Again. The gearbox would not have been painted. It would also have been cast iron grey.
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

In case it matters to you, Rusoleum makes a cast iron gray rattle can paint that looks identical to the factory unpainted steel color. You could give that steering box a quick cover with that if you want to bring it back to original appearance. Same with tranny. However, as you say, if the car's never going to be judged, you can do whatever you want.
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
Fine59
Frequent Contributor

Post by Fine59 »

Hi Dan, thank you for your comments. I knew someone would notice the steering gear. I did not esk them to paint that, but it came back white. I know it’s not correct, but I don’t hate it. As I stated earlier in the thread. I’m not going for a senior car. I enjoy driving them. I probably will go over the transmission case with cast gray, so thank you Steve for that suggestion
Fine59
Frequent Contributor

Post by Fine59 »

Hey Sams, thanks for the kind words. I don’t think they painted the transmission case, but it was kind of rusty and I thought I would dress it up. As far as the removal and replacing the motor, I’m eastimating a $1500 to $2000 savings. The estimate I received for a total rebuild including all new everything was $3500.00, but that was with new flat top pistons. I made it clear that I would not accept that, so I am having the pistons made. The estimate from Wiseco was about $1100.00, so I’m guessing the whole thing will end up being around $5000.00
Fine59
Frequent Contributor

Post by Fine59 »

638522B8-AF3E-4BA6-8F7B-6546C557B4AC.jpeg
Okay, for all of my friends commenting on my color choice for my newly built transmission. I got to thinking about it, and came to the conclusion that you were right. Now is the time to paint it the correct color while it’s out of the car. So feast your eyes on the new colors
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

You'll end up making this a 100 point car after all...glad you're doing things right...now...while you can...it is extra hard to decide to do this stuff right after it is all together, trust me...Wayne
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Fine59 wrote:Okay, for all of my friends commenting on my color choice for my newly built transmission. I got to thinking about it, and came to the conclusion that you were right. Now is the time to paint it the correct color while it’s out of the car. So feast your eyes on the new colors
It looks much better, original or not. I recommend you do the same for the gearbox. It will just look better.

Sometimes, being factory correct isn't the right thing to do because it's original, but because some things just look better that way.
Fine59
Frequent Contributor

Post by Fine59 »

Sorry that it’s been awhile since I’ve posted on my progress, but the truth is that there hasn’t been much to report until now. I’ve been mostly cleaning and ordering parts. The engine had not been painted with the rest of the car, so I sent the car out for that.
F9E53522-2CEB-46F9-88B8-665CEF4E59D5.jpeg
220DBBF5-35F4-427C-8A7D-2EDDB4F8DEC3.jpeg
192B16EA-0B84-436D-A1F2-A7E799DAB267.jpeg
Then the engine builders called and confirmed my worst suspicion that my pistons were shot and needed to be replaced. I searched everywhere for the correct step cut pistons with no luck. I called a couple of piston makers and as soon as they found out my engine was torn apart, they doubled their price. I was getting quotes for $2500.00 for pistons, wrist pins and rings. I ended up asking a fellow Mark IV owner and friend, Dave Rose if he still had the build card for the pistons he had made a couple of years ago and he still had it. I ended up going with Ross Pistons. The same place Dave used. I had my new shiny pistons, wrist pins and rings in about 5 weeks and at a price of $1300.00. Still salty, but worth it.
617CF09A-BD0E-45B7-AD77-174D9FDB4D0A.jpeg
50E2D24D-7551-4505-AE06-7F41B9EFC2A4.jpeg
Then it was back to cleaning the underside while the engine was being built. That was a dirty job.
418E79B3-1882-4E43-BA4D-14AA2458C389.jpeg
While pulling my lift out from under the car, I did something really dumb. I wasn’t paying attention while pulling the lift forward and the metal t handle tipped and went right into the passenger side quarter panel. The handle almost punched through the metal! So back to the body shop she went.
61FCF4B0-5C10-43B6-B5EC-9EF36ABE35D6.jpeg
About two weeks later, the car returned home and I got a call a couple days later that my engine was ready to pick up. So I got the trailer hooked up and went and picked the engine up.
D6704239-4695-47C8-9466-EB054F7866A9.jpeg
A8E0FBE9-64A5-4B3E-9028-70DD0D892AFE.jpeg
Couple of questions I now have on this motor. There are a couple of thermostat type dodads on the front of the block. One is in tact and the other is broken. Are these necessary and if so, can replacements be found and can this broken one be replaced from the outside of the motor?
2754674F-98F5-4253-A671-AE768498D398.jpeg
B148B362-476D-485D-A046-97B3409D0C42.jpeg
Second question is, has anyone done the conversion to electronic ignition and do I remove the bolt/stud in order to pull the wires through.
272E5B28-B933-476C-9947-376B677A4840.jpeg
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Everyone will tell you to yank those thermostats. I'm just the first to reply. Ron Baker's crew took mine out back in "96 or "97. Wayne
Fine59
Frequent Contributor

Post by Fine59 »

Well today is the day that this power plant goes back in the beast. I’m lock and loaded. Just waiting on my son so he can assist me. I hope it goes in as easy as it came out. I did that with no help, but now I have a fresh paint job in the engine bay that I don’t want to scratch. More pics to come later.
8C856C29-EF55-41FA-BF0A-8E6790EF988F.jpeg
2CEE33A7-07F5-45CC-A761-57B0A0B6E9A4.jpeg
Fine59
Frequent Contributor

Post by Fine59 »

Well, finally got the motor and tranny back in the car, but I’m having a heck of a time getting the drive shaft back into the rear of the transmission
F031A926-3D82-416D-970E-284F64836683.jpeg
7833C4FC-9143-4359-BB0B-A7DED6967752.jpeg
3680C0F6-0C89-43A2-8E98-5A3A59EE62A9.jpeg
NicSanford
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by NicSanford »

Wow what a project! As for the drive shaft, I know it’s a bit heavy but if you keep spinning it with a bit of pressure it should eventually catch the notch and slide on. I imagine you already have it nice and greased up. Looking great man!
Nic Sanford - Food Truck Owner / Musician / Singer / Songwriter / Producer / Internet & Media Professional / Lincoln Lover
1961 Lincoln Continental
http://www.TurtleIslandGrille.com
Fine59
Frequent Contributor

Post by Fine59 »

It’s been awhile since I’ve posted on the progress of my Mark IV and I have a lot to report. I litterally just finished the car this weekend and oh my. What a difference! After getting the engine installed, the engine ran like crap. I had a dead #8 and #2 cylinder. I bought a new set of plugs, new wires, new cap, rotor, points and condenser with no change. I double checked the firing order in the shop manual and it was correct. I ended up calling the guy who built the motor and my frustration showed, I’m sure. As a last resort, I called my good friend who runs the service department at my home town Ford dealership. He opened the hood and asked me to read the firing order out of the shop manual. He then exclaimed. That’s the problem. You have the wrong firing order. I said, how do you know that? He said, the firing order is stamped on the intake dummy. Your shop manual is misprinted. I’m a printer by trade, so I should have suspected that first. So we changed the wires on the cap and fired her up. She ran like glass, but I was only getting 5lbs of oil pressure at idle. That original style oil/vacuum pump I just paid $350.00 for was junk! I ended up lowering the pan and pulling that oil pump out and replacing it with a high volume pump, which meant now I needed to purchase a repaclacement shaft. Let me tell you. That was probably one of the most difficult jobs I have tackled. Good thing I have tiny hands. I had to loop bailing wire and push it down through the shaft hole from the top of the motor. I tied it around the shaft under the washer and pulled up and tied it off so it wouldn’t drop down while I was bolting the new pump on. This also left one hand free to insert the bottom of the shaft into the top of the pump. Once the pump was bolted on, I could install the pick up tube. Then I had to try and scrape off the old gasket and install a new gasket. I must not have gotten all of the old gasket off because the pan leaks a little. I’m taking it in to get it done right because that was a pain in the butt. So then it was time to re-install the hood. I even had the wife helping out with that. Unfortunately, I thought it would be easier to install the grill after the hood. Not so! I now need to unbolt the hood and lift up the front to get the grill in. I have been driving her around though and she drives like a dream, with one exception. When you put her in low gear, she surges violently. I think the rebuilt transmission is going to have to go back to the transmission shop that rebuilt it. It shifts great in all other gears. Looking to e joy her this Fall and then I may sell her. Here are some more pictures to enjoy.
Dropping the massive power plant in
Dropping the massive power plant in
New “bad” oil/vacuum pump
New “bad” oil/vacuum pump
New high volume pump
New high volume pump
Got this very rare batter tray from a friend and powder coated it
Got this very rare batter tray from a friend and powder coated it
The finished product
The finished product