64 LCC Restore Jedf16 Start Sep 17 - UPDATED 2 Mar 2020

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
Jedf16

64 LCC Restore Jedf16 Start Sep 17 - UPDATED 2 Mar 2020

Post by Jedf16 »

KEEP CHECKING BACK - as i will keep adding the stuff I do for Oct 17.

Oct 17 thru Dec 19
Well I got busy doing other things for awhile so work slowed. Here are some photo's of what has been done over the past couple of years, even if slow.
Frame media blasted and epoxy primered. Getting the frame on/off the tow truck kinda a pain without wheels.
IMG_0974.JPG
Doors / Hood / Header / Trunk Lid / Fenders and 1/4 panels - Chemical dipped and stripped to bare metal. The 1/4 Panels - I have 6 different 1/4 panels to choose from my 3 cars, and they are all rotted along the bottom 3 inchs to verious degrees. So I drove to Califorina and got clean 1/4's are from a '61 and '63 parts car. Anyway. Pic of them wrapped up and on the way to the media blast and epoxy primer guy.
IMG_0975.JPG
Lots of parts and parts and parts to catalog and clean. Learning more about bolt: type, tread size, head type, length, finish, flanging ETC then I care to know. But what are you gonna do. As an example:
Wheel Well Back Left Shock Pic 1-2 PART LIST 1.JPG
Putting the panels back on to check the "lines" of the car and proper spacing. This is time consuming and requires crazy patients. But I got it done. I was planning on welding it all back together but the body work professionals ask me to not too. Makes their repair/paint prep work easier. So I'm leting them do it. The car is currently in line, waiting, for its turn. (Note: I was still working in the car when this pic was taken, so for those blowing the photo up and looking close - it is not perfect)
IMG_2422.jpg
So While I wait for the car to head off to the body shop, I gather up parts and pieces to be cleaned. This is a container I sent to the media blast / epoxy primer guy. And the parts comeback wrapped in plastic.
Before Example of a part
Front Cross Wire Portector 1 copy.JPG
After with more parts wrapped in the blue container
IMG_2520.jpg
Parts I'm cleaning. I have found a happy self compromise - parts you can see on the car, I spend more on: send to a shop like the media blaster or re=zinc shop. Or purchase a new replacement bolt or hardwear item - so the part looks really good or even new. The things you can't see (parts behind panels or burried somewhere in the car. I just do the best I can cleaning it. This philosophy works for me and speeds up answer of "what am I gonna do to this (insert part name here)?" So more pics of parts I cleaned and will not be "on display" for all to see. I'll just know it's like this.
This stuff works great for cleaning and rust removal.
IMG_2521.jpg
Before
Front Left Door 11.JPG
After
IMG_2522.jpg
Before
Door Mounts Pic 11 PART LIST 1.JPG
After
IMG_2523.jpg
You get the idea, I hope.

All right that is the update for the last 2+years. I feel like the project is going to speed up a bit. For the time being, I am working toward cleaning more parts and getting the items needed for Phase 2 - putting the suspension together. Disc brake conversion, Differential rebuilt and cleaned up, power steering gear box and pump rebuilt an upgraded, steering column, wheels, and suspension. Currently planning on putting the car on an airbag system - for ride, but I do like the slammed look.

More later - Out

PREVIOUS POSTS Sorry if your jumping around.
Oct 1, 2017
Pulled my 1st Panel ever. Overall went pretty well. 3 more to go.

sorry pic is sideways - open attacment and pic shoud be normal?
Front Lf Qtr Panel.JPG
Oct 5
Pulled the other front fender panel today. Went a little easier then the left side, but had a different issue to work thru, always a problem. Also prep'd the 2 rear fenders for removal; paint removal, grind off rust, removed lead filler. Just need to remove tank filler neck, drill out spot welds and handle any surprises. Still don't know or care why pic displays sideways. If opened, looks fine.
Oct Right Fender 4.JPG
Gonna be a week before I touch her again - Going to do a bit of traveling 7 to 14 Oct

Oct 22
OK back at it - Bought the exhaust system for the car a lil early. My source has enough parts for just one more system and then he is done messing with LCC exhaust systems. I also got both rear 1/4panels off. Getting the Filler tube out was my personal challange for the day. It was a pain.
IMG_7918.JPG
IMG_7919.JPG
Last edited by Jedf16 on Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jedf16

Re: 64 LCC Restore Project by Jedf16- UPDATED 24 Oct 17 Prog

Post by Jedf16 »

Oct 24

Removed Bumper, Grill, Radator and associated parts.
Oct Front 1.JPG
Oct Front 2.JPG
Oct Front 3.JPG
Oct Front 4.JPG
Jedf16

Re: 64 LCC Restore Project by Jedf16- UPDATED 30 Oct 17

Post by Jedf16 »

OCT 30

Have spent the last couple of days pulling the motor. Basically 6 to 7 hours of prepping everything and the actual pulling of the engine took about 30 min. I am sure others could do it much faster, but I'm new to all this. Anyway, the motor is out and now sits on an engine stand. I don't feel as though I documented the event fully. Only time will tell. IDK. If those who are reading this are in need of parts from a 430ci motor - I will sell. I have a fully rebuilt motor and transmission waiting. I'm not really explaining what I have done, If anybody is looking or the specifics - just ask and I will get into the steps I took to get the motor out or for any of the other stuff I have done. Thanks.

sorry about the sideways pics. Open and they should be normal. Not sure how to edit on this site, since it's not FACEBOOK.
Oct Engine pull 2.JPG
Oct Engine pull 4.JPG
Oct Engine pull 5.JPG
Oct Engine pull 8.JPG
Oct Engine pull 7.JPG
Jedf16

Re: 64 LCC Restore Jedf16 Start Sep 17 - UPDATED 14 Feb 2018

Post by Jedf16 »

Well it has been a few months and fromt the last post I have dropped the Transmission and proceeded to strip the car of everything (nuts bolts wires suspension brake lines fuel lines and on and on. The biggest pain was scraping all the undercoating underneath the car and scraping all the black gooey stuff everywhere. Car is ready for the sand blaster. I still need to remove some fenders from my "donor cars", strip down the doors. Fenders/doors/trunk lid/hood all go to get chemical dipped and then will rejoin with the car at the sandblaster for blasting and primer. I am working to get that all done by March. Pictures: Sorry if pic's are turned - have not found easy way to fix.
Wires lots of wires
Wires lots of wires
Dec 2.JPG
DEC 3.JPG
Cockpit all striped
Cockpit all striped
Engine Bay
Engine Bay
Rear suspension out
Rear suspension out
Feb 12.JPG
Before
Before
After
After
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 64 LCC Restore Jedf16 Start Sep 17 - UPDATED 30 Oct 17

Post by papawayne »

Now that is one dismantled car! Hope you are saving the pieces! I'm impressed. Wayne
siglumous
Occasional Visitor

Post by siglumous »

Yes. Impressive.
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

Amazing! Curious, did you strip the fenders because you have better ones to use? Seems like it would be easier to do rust repair on the panels than to replace all the pinch welds and get everything aligned again. Do you have a donor car with the fender you are going to use or what? This is going to be a great build to watch, Thanks for sharing.
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
Jedf16

Post by Jedf16 »

Thanks fellas. SteveK. I stripped the fenders so I could have them dipped vs media blast. By dipping the 4 outside fenders, doors, hood and trunk lid I will remove all corrosion that will eventually eat it up thru the expensive paint job that will go on the car. It’s just a matter of when :). That’s way I cut all the pinch welds. Also, I do have a donor car, in fact I have 2. The first is a 65 LCC that I thought was a good restore car. I was totally wrong. So I had to start again. I am new and this is my first attempt at doing this. So I have made a few errors along the way. The 65 was one of them. The 2nd donor car is a 64 sedan. Between the 3 cars I will take the best available part and use it on the project car. For example - I will take 3 outside fenders from the 64 sedan and one from the 65. This will give the project car the “best” metal, And so on. It’s a lot of work, but I feel it’s the right way to go. I hope I have fully answered your question.

Cheers
Jed
Jedf16

Re: 64 LCC Restore Jedf16 Start Sep 17 - UPDATED 2 Mar 2020

Post by Jedf16 »

I updated this post 2 Mar 2020
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Very cool project. I wish I had the time and money to take my car to this level.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

Looking good...a lot of work already. One suggestion. You have removed a lot of structure from that unibody. Normally you see guys bracing the car on the inside to keep everything straight and aligned before dropping the doors (and fenders). You still may want to do that using measurements or you may find yourself struggling to get the doors and fenders reinstalled with good panel gaps and hood, trunk and doors fitting properly. Looking forward to seeing more!
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Just wanted to touch base. Are you still working on this project? Let me know. I would love to share some current photos or have you on Lincoln Addict podcast
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

This is (was?) an incredibly ambitious undertaking. I would not be surprised to learn that life got in the way at some point.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)
1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

Projects like this really make me scratch my head especially when sentences start with "I have never done this before ". Every panel was cut off to paint parts that were never painted from the factory! Typically you align the doors before you cut a quarter off then you hang the new quarter off the door... how this build is going its going to be a nightmare to get anything aligned!

If he was this ambitious as a first time car builder Imagine how prom night went! :o
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Holy restoration, Batman! It is great! Way6ne